Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I have not used Handbrake for a while (I have the current version 0.9.3) but just started working with it again tonight on 10.6, but it crashes every time I go to open a 2nd file to add to the queue. It may crash otherwise too, but I have just started a conversion, so I don't know yet. I went to the developer's site and the latest news there is from 11/23 of last year. Does anybody know if there will be a new release for SL, or is there anything else comparable that works in SL? Thanks.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
I just re encoded 10 movies using osx 10.6 and the latest version of handbrake and it went great. I just queued them all up and let it run overnight + most of a morning... I had no problem with the queue. I had to re encode them because the first time I tried handbrake I didn't see the volume adjustment. I could hear my movies (on my iPod Touch) but it could have been louder. I set the volume adjustment from 0 to 2.5 ( about a 50% increase). Now I don't have to set the iPod Touch to full volume to enjoy the movie but I think next time I'll put the setting on 3.0...

edit: just checked my version number and it's 0.9.3 and it's from 23 Nov 2008 so while it's the latest (as of last week) it's not exactly recent. But still, it worked just fine on Snow Leopard.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I just re encoded 10 movies using osx 10.6 and the latest version of handbrake and it went great. I just queued them all up and let it run overnight + most of a morning... I had no problem with the queue. I had to re encode them because the first time I tried handbrake I didn't see the volume adjustment. I could hear my movies (on my iPod Touch) but it could have been louder. I set the volume adjustment from 0 to 2.5 ( about a 50% increase). Now I don't have to set the iPod Touch to full volume to enjoy the movie but I think next time I'll put the setting on 3.0...

edit: just checked my version number and it's 0.9.3 and it's from 23 Nov 2008 so while it's the latest (as of last week) it's not exactly recent. But still, it worked just fine on Snow Leopard.
Good for you, I guess it works for some people. But judging form the large number of reports of Handbrake 0.9.3 crashing under SL I can assume it is not working for everybody (me included). The first file pens fine, but when I try to add a 2nd file to the queue Handbrake will crash, every time. So the queue (the best part of Handbrake for me) is useless.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Good for you, I guess it works for some people. But judging form the large number of reports of Handbrake 0.9.3 crashing under SL I can assume it is not working for everybody (me included). The first file pens fine, but when I try to add a 2nd file to the queue Handbrake will crash, every time. So the queue (the best part of Handbrake for me) is useless.

Use the snapshot as somebody linked in previous posts. Handbrake devs release stuff when they are ready to be released, they won't release just because there's an external factor (SL). In the meanwhile, they provide snapshots of their latest progress, which is usually stable. I have been using the latest 64bit snapshot and I have to admit, Snow Leopard works the encoding much much faster than Leopard could do. It would encode around 300fps on SL while same build on Leopard would average round 175fps.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Use the snapshot as somebody linked in previous posts. Handbrake devs release stuff when they are ready to be released, they won't release just because there's an external factor (SL). In the meanwhile, they provide snapshots of their latest progress, which is usually stable. I have been using the latest 64bit snapshot and I have to admit, Snow Leopard works the encoding much much faster than Leopard could do. It would encode around 300fps on SL while same build on Leopard would average round 175fps.
Thanks, I just downloaded the 64-bit snapshot. It is currently encoding Die Another Day with :apple:TV presets at a little less than 30fps. I don't remember what 0.9.3 did under Leopard. How do you get anything approaching 300fps? Do you have an octo-core MP?

edit: I also added 2 more files to the queue, so the crash is gone I guess.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Thanks, I just downloaded the 64-bit snapshot. It is currently encoding Die Another Day with :apple:TV presets at a little less than 30fps. I don't remember what 0.9.3 did under Leopard. How do you get anything approaching 300fps? Do you have an octo-core MP?

The encoding speed depends on the source and the preset you are using. I am encoding all my avi/wmv files into mp4 with ffmeg encoder for one file format storage that can be used for iPhone, AppleTV, and everything else. I am using ABR of 1500 with 2 passes. Takes about 10 min per pass for a 1gig file.

As for system, I just have an early '08 MBP with 2.5GHz, 4gb, 8600gt with an external fw800 drive that stores all my media.

pb1300

macrumors 6502a
Feb 29, 2008
Aigio, Greece

Not to go OT, but how did you queue your movies up? Did you load the DVDs onto the Mac first? If so, how?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
So why don't you download a more recent Snapshot release of Handbrake?

The Handbrake developers take their time with each release. The version you're using was released almost a full year ago.

It would be nice if the devs put a news article on the front page stating that 10.6-compatible snapshots are available. It would've avoided this thread for starters :)

danny_w

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA

It appears that I spoke too soon. I haven't had time to figure out the problem, but over half of the movies that I encoded with the new snapshot version (about 15, all set for the AppleTV preset) don't play at all, and one plays video but no sound. The ones that don't play don't work on either the iMac (still on iTunes 8.2.1) or an the :apple:TV (2.4).

danny_w

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
That's weird, 0.9.3 still works fine under SL for my and my old CD in my sig. :confused:

I take it those snapshots aren't very stable yet?
Their website says they aren't stable and I tend to believe them after this experience. The old version 0.9.3 at least encoded correctly and produced working videos, but because of the file open issue I could not use the queue and so could only do one at a time. I think that I will go back to the old "stable" version for now.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Oddly at least three of the active devs have been encoding with the snapshot and more recent on SL just fine without any issues, as well as several active testers. Maybe an activity log for an encode with issues would be helpful?

Oddly at least three of the active devs have been encoding with the snapshot and more recent on SL just fine without any issues, as well as several active testers. Maybe an activity log for an encode with issues would be helpful?

Hi dynaflash, that's all I needed to hear. It's Been smooth sailing for me but maybe I'll tempt fate and check out a snapshot. ;) I'd send in more reports I haven't had many problems.

Keep up the great work! :cool:

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
For those experiencing any issues with > - 0.9.3 (though fwiw, I wouldn't use 0.9.3 over the latest snapshot for all of the tea in china), I might suggest a look at this thread http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12133.

Please realize that at least 4 or more hb devs run hb svn on SL on a daily basis. That is not to say you might not be having issues, but its also not like hb is untested on SL. Frankly if you are having issues please include all the info you can (most importantly an activity log) in the hb forums. Also note that another snapshot is pending very shortly. (oops, did not mean to say that) ;) .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.