Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Sep 12, 2009, 03:44 PM   #1
Fox E. Wolf
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to Fox E. Wolf Send a message via MSN to Fox E. Wolf Send a message via Yahoo to Fox E. Wolf
Exclamation iBook G4 Logic Board Failure?

In Mid 2004 is when i bought my iBook G4, it has been the best damn laptop that i have ever owned. unfortunately about 4months ago, i noticed that my ibook had trouble booting up. there were times where the computer would boot up normally, times where the Apple Logo would show up and now Spinner below it, and sometimes there was only the white screen. i was worried that the hard drive was the issue, and it may be, but i am totally unsure. after awhile my applications would freeze up, not open, or sometimes would crash with little to no RAM or CPU usage. a couple times i got the Screen drop that sorta would resemble the Windows BSOD. it said and

well anyway off to what my main concern is.
Model: iBook G4
CPU: 1.07GHz
RAM: 1.25 GB
Other info: Combo Drive, 30GB HDD, 12.1" 1024x768 Display

LAST Night at 11:34pm, i got the Mac Error Drop down screen. well i did what it asked me to do and that was to reboot. the only problem was is that it would not boot up, The Hard drive spins and i hear no issues coming from it (however i tried repairing the disk in Disk utility and it had an error doing that.)
but i really dont think it is telling me that my hard drive is dead, it still is spinning and is is showing the apple logo and the spinner and i can hear the drive spin for about 20seconds before it stop spinning as much and then sounds like it is idle. however the computer itself will just shutdown prior to that. it isnt shutting down like it isnt prepared to, it actually prepares itself and shuts down.

After i had these issues, i then took the RAM, Hard drive, Airport card, combo drive, and battery out of the laptop and put each component in seperate small Ziplocs.

I then went on ebay and won in an auction of a 1.33Ghz, full working iBook 12''. my only question is, that if the hard drive had no signs or symptoms of failure, would i be able to put my old Hard drive into the new ibook and run all my files and programs like nothing went wrong?

the hard drive had no signs of failure, no weird sounds or such,

so this brings me back to what my question was, Am i having a Logic board Failure? or a Hard Drive Failure? or what?

please, please, PLEASE let me know ASAP before i do something really stupid and attempt to fix a problem that is non existant.

Email me, IM me, Text me, or reply to me. just please tell me my issue.

Thank you. all my contact info is in my profile.

Last edited by Fox E. Wolf; Sep 12, 2009 at 04:21 PM.
Fox E. Wolf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2009, 04:20 PM   #2
Fox E. Wolf
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to Fox E. Wolf Send a message via MSN to Fox E. Wolf Send a message via Yahoo to Fox E. Wolf
Exclamation

Also i found that the Hard Drive is Readable but idk and still am not sure about what my real issue is
Fox E. Wolf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2009, 04:55 AM   #3
SimonK
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox E. Wolf View Post
Also i found that the Hard Drive is Readable but idk and still am not sure about what my real issue is
It sounds similar to my problem with my old iBook G3. It was playing up, freezing, not shutting down properly, fan whirring and nothing else happening..... in the end it was my logic board.

Better luck with your new computer.
SimonK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2009, 06:14 PM   #4
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

Sounds like you got the dreaded logic board failure that plagued the G4 iBooks. You can do what is known as the "shim" method but that only works temporarily. Just google for "ibook g4 logic board failure".

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs