Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Sep 12, 2009, 04:52 PM   #1
MadMacxxx
macrumors 6502a

Is is wrong to cool my iMac down like this? (Pic included)

I know that the heat being given off of the casing of a laptop or desktop is just the result of it's own internal cooling system expelling the extra heat, however, is it bad to blow a current of air across the length of the device to help channel the hot air away from it? I've read you shouldn't directly blow air at a computers fan (for obvious reasons), so I figured this approach might work...at least a little. Anyway, I'd like some insight on this. I know about various custom ways to really cool your computer down, like installing liquid cooling systems and such...but thats not practical for an iMac.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	194082  
Old Sep 12, 2009, 04:58 PM   #2
TuffLuffJimmy
macrumors G3

There's no song and dance you have to do to keep a machine alive. Just use common sense. Are you blowing hot air directly back into the machine? No. You're fine.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 12:59 AM   #3
mreg376
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to mreg376
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMacxxx View Post
I know that the heat being given off of the casing of a laptop or desktop is just the result of it's own internal cooling system expelling the extra heat, however, is it bad to blow a current of air across the length of the device to help channel the hot air away from it? I've read you shouldn't directly blow air at a computers fan (for obvious reasons), so I figured this approach might work...at least a little. Anyway, I'd like some insight on this. I know about various custom ways to really cool your computer down, like installing liquid cooling systems and such...but thats not practical for an iMac.
I'm sure it's fine, if it makes you feel better. It's just that I don't see the point of it. iMacs are designed to cool themselves as needed.
2011 iPhone 4s and 2013 5s / VZW
mreg376 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2009, 04:15 PM   #4
MadMacxxx
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreg376 View Post
I'm sure it's fine, if it makes you feel better. It's just that I don't see the point of it. iMacs are designed to cool themselves as needed.
Yea, your right because my efforts aren't changing the temperatures at all, according to iStat...just thought it might've helped.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 07:43 PM   #5
WeegieMac

Use SMC fan control to adjust the fan speed of the fans inside your iMac.

I use my iMac pretty much all day and only ever put it to sleep at night, so if the PSU gets above 60 degrees celsius I put on a custom setting on SMC I labelled "Cool Down" which has the following settings:

Optical Disk Drive: 1500rpm (up from 1000rpm)
Hard Disk Drive: 2000rpm (up from 1200rpm)
CPUL 2000rpm (up from 1200rpm)

Within minutes, and checking the iStat Pro widget, the temperature begins to slowly but gradually decline. I know the iMac itself can detect when temperatures reach limits it deems damaging, but I prefer to take action myself before the system has to actually worry and thinks it's in "danger".
WeegieMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2009, 12:22 PM   #6
AlexisV
macrumors 65816

Seems utterly pointless. I'd say there was a risk of blowing dust into the machine as well.
AlexisV is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2009, 01:09 PM   #7
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreg376 View Post
All machines are, but to varying degrees of effectiveness. Since the iMac is a relatively small enclosure, I wouldn't be surprised if it's not as effective as tower desktops at dissipating heat.

Funnily, I used the same trick as the OP just this very morning. I closed my MBP and put it in my case, but it didn't sleep. When I opened the case at the office, there was a burning smell and the bottom of the LCD was discoloured from the heat. I quickly put a fan blowing across the keyboard to improve convection. Don't know how much it helped, but at least it's still working!
Old Sep 21, 2009, 02:49 PM   #8
Slrman
macrumors member

Send a message via Yahoo to Slrman
How hot is too hot?

I have iStat and it currently says that CPU A and the airport card are 145F and the power supply is 180F. The ambient temp is given as 88F. Should I have a room fan to improve circulation or what?
Old Sep 21, 2009, 02:51 PM   #9
thegoldenmackid
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thegoldenmackid Send a message via Skype™ to thegoldenmackid
I once used a small dust fan to blow away from the computer, to get the hot air out. I can't say it had any effect on anything, but it made me feel better about wasting electricity.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 04:11 PM   #10
wfoster
macrumors 6502a

SMC Fan Control. Its good.
wfoster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2009, 02:52 PM   #11
Rubel
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfoster View Post
SMC Fan Control. Its good.
Does this work on iMacs? I have a Core2 Duo iMac, but I figured it wouldn't work from the description of 2.2.2.

My iMac overheats when I play games. I get weird graphical glitches and sometimes freezes. So I'm happy with any solution which keeps my iStats down.
Rubel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2009, 02:58 PM   #12
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

The iMac should cool itself fine... If it is overheating though you should clean the dust out of it and see how it goes. The Machine is designed to cool itself
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2009, 04:16 PM   #13
Rubel
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
The iMac should cool itself fine... If it is overheating though you should clean the dust out of it and see how it goes. The Machine is designed to cool itself
I did clean a little dust bunny off of the intake fan area, and it does seem to be running cooler. Still gets a bit hot, though. I tried blowing dusk out with some canned air and also vacuuming the vents, but nothing much came of that.

Guess I'll just bring it regular iced teas...
Rubel is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac