Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wilson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2004
I currently have a PC and want to buy a dual 1.8 G5. If I buy a KVM switch, I would be able to use them both on my Samsung LCD monitor right? How would this work in terms of the keyboard? Would I have to switch the keyboard back and forth whenever I want to use the PC or Mac? I'm confused here.

How much does a typical KVM switch normally cost?

Thanks.

iostream.h

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2004
Albuquerque, NM
WHATEVER YOU DO, don't get a Belkin SOHO USB KVM Switch. IT SUCKS. The keyboard won't work correctly, ect. I think the consensus around here is that the Dr. Bott one is the best.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
iostream.h said:
WHATEVER YOU DO, don't get a Belkin SOHO USB KVM Switch. IT SUCKS. The keyboard won't work correctly, ect. I think the consensus around here is that the Dr. Bott one is the best.

Interesting. I have a Belkin Pro2 KVM and the keyboard works perfectly!

Wilson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2004
Thanks for the recommendations...I guess there isn't a way to use one keyboard to operate a mac and a pc.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Wilson said:
Thanks for the recommendations...I guess there isn't a way to use one keyboard to operate a mac and a pc.

Not at the same time! But I use my Pro2 to contol 2 PCs and my mac from 1 mouse, 1 keyboard and 1 monitor. It works fine. You just need to connect the mac with a USB cable not PS/2 ones.

fradac

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Atlanta, GA
yes you can

it is quiet possible, i use it all the time. all you need to make sure is that you have a USB keyboard and mouse. i actually use a apple pro keyboard with a microsoft 3 button scrool mouse.

with both USB devices you can get a USB switch, i found this cheap one on newegg and it works wonderfully.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-107-251&depa=0

if you have a ps2 mouse and keyboard they have models for that too, but make sure it has USB connector going to the host computer as the apple will not have ps2 connectors, one such switch is this one.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-107-250&depa=0

hope this helps.

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
Since we are on the topic of switches. What would be the best one to get if you had a PC and a G5 Mac with a say one of the new 20-23in apple display? With the highest res and performance? I was thinking about this setup and have a seperate Viewsonic monitor that works with my PC but would like to get the new Apple displays and ditch the Viewsonic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.