Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zenoran

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009
I like apple products but this is one of the things that seriously aggravates me about apple... let people do what they want with their devices. They paid for it.

Mobile device hacking is a hobby and preference for a LOT of people.. Apple needs to GET OVER IT.

boxstboy

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I don't see much benefit to jb'ing 3.1. No must have features. I'm waiting for 4.0

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I don't see much benefit to jb'ing 3.1. No must have features. I'm waiting for 4.0

im with you there....no rush for 3.1

California King

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
I like apple products but this is one of the things that seriously aggravates me about apple... let people do what they want with their devices. They paid for it.

Mobile device hacking is a hobby and preference for a LOT of people.. Apple needs to GET OVER IT.
I don't think it's quite that simple..if it was, Apple wouldn't be as successful as they are now.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado

I'm sure the biggest issue Apple has with jailbreaking is that it allows people to install all kinds of free app store apps on their phones. They have a right to prevent this because the devs and Apple are losing millions of dollars over this a year.

Look at the TomTom app. It was available for free TWO hours after it was released. Those people got donations from others to buy it, crack it and then offer it for free. There were over 4000 downloads of it on day one.

I don't blame Apple at all for doing what they are doing now.

serialtoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
1 of 8 bits

The device is yours, the software it uses is not. You are only licensed the OS. Unless we can get an iPhone without ANY software pre-installed, we will always have to reverse engineer what apple has loaded up on it, in this case....OSX. All of this is in the EULA.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008

they don't want to allow jailbreaking because it allows people to pirate appstore software. that's probably a bigger issue than the apps available through cydia.

zenoran

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009
they don't want to allow jailbreaking because it allows people to pirate appstore software. that's probably a bigger issue than the apps available through cydia.

ya I keep forgetting about the pirated appstore apps... I just consider things like backgrounder and UI tweaks to be fairly harmless or at the very least use at your own risk.

bilboa

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
ya I keep forgetting about the pirated appstore apps... I just consider things like backgrounder and UI tweaks to be fairly harmless or at the very least use at your own risk.

I think you're right, and I also think that if all jailbreakers did was use apps like backgrounder or winterboard, Apple would have very little incentive to try to prevent jailbreaking. In fact it probably helps Apple overall. I know I would have been more hesitant to jump on the iPhone bandwagon if I couldn't have jailbroken my iPhone.

However if pirating appstore apps becomes big time, then developers of paid apps will pressure Apple to close the security holes that allow jailbreaking, and Apple will probably end up complying. And as a professional SW dev myself, I can't say I blame them. Rather I would blame the pirates. It's kind of like a situation around where I live with farm stands. Farmers used to be able to put out a table next to the road with crates of tomatoes or whatever, and a cashbox with a slot, and a sign asking people to put the right amount of money in the cash box and help themselves to the veggies. This actually worked out fine for years, until some people started stealing the cash boxes. Whichever jerks did this probably thought they were being clever, but all they ended up accomplishing was making it so farmers could no longer have unmanned farm stands. Some people just don't know a nice thing when they see it, or simply don't care.

Similarly, Apple users currently don't have to deal with software activation like users of Microsoft software do. Apple just trusts users to pay for their software rather than copying it. However I'm sure if enough people started pirating Apple software to the point that it seriously cut into their sales, Apple would be forced to start adding some kind of software activation like Windows users have to suffer through. I hope that doesn't happen.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
I'm sure the biggest issue Apple has with jailbreaking is that it allows people to install all kinds of free app store apps on their phones. They have a right to prevent this because the devs and Apple are losing millions of dollars over this a year.

Look at the TomTom app. It was available for free TWO hours after it was released. Those people got donations from others to buy it, crack it and then offer it for free. There were over 4000 downloads of it on day one.

I don't blame Apple at all for doing what they are doing now.

If they would only unlock the phones, I bet a lot of people wouldn't bother jailbreaking anymore. My phone is jailbroken purely to unlock it. I bought it, I've paid O2, I just want to use it on vodafone, and to do that I have to jump through these cretinous hoops.
I don't want themes, I don't want backgrounder, I've got no hacked apps, no cycorder, nothing, it's jailbroken ONLY for the unlock. Apple allowing unlocking would decimate the amount of jailbroken phones out there. I'd even pay them for an unlock. Hey apple, how about I give you £20 and you unlock my phone, and I'll go back to not jailbroken?

mgamber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
Becomes big time? It's BEEN big time! And it's not all that hard to find pirated app store apps, too. Likewise, it pisses me off on both levels, that of a user who has to put up with a crippled phone because of this bullsh*t and that of a dev who put time and effort into stuff these people couldn't do on their own if their miserable lives depended on it.

benflick

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
If they would only unlock the phones, I bet a lot of people wouldn't bother jailbreaking anymore. My phone is jailbroken purely to unlock it. I bought it, I've paid O2, I just want to use it on vodafone, and to do that I have to jump through these cretinous hoops.
I don't want themes, I don't want backgrounder, I've got no hacked apps, no cycorder, nothing, it's jailbroken ONLY for the unlock. Apple allowing unlocking would decimate the amount of jailbroken phones out there. I'd even pay them for an unlock. Hey apple, how about I give you £20 and you unlock my phone, and I'll go back to not jailbroken?

I'm in the exact same boat as you (except in U.S). The only reason I JB is to unlock.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
Unless it's PAYG, then you've only part-bought it from Apple and O2.
O2 subsidize it, so you pay the full price(plus any extra usage, etc) over the term of your contract(PAYG may still apply).
If Apple were offiering it un-subsidized(i.e Full price), then it'd probably be priced at over £600(a totally rough guess there, lol).

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
O2 subsidize it, so you pay the full price(plus any extra usage, etc) over the term of your contract(PAYG may still apply).
If Apple were offiering it un-subsidized(i.e Full price), then it'd probably be priced at over £600(a totally rough guess there, lol).

Right, my contract, which I've paid... That makes it mine now, yes? Paying for something makes it mine?
Although it would be galling, I may just have to stump up the £564 asking price for a factory unlocked phone next time I'm in France...
o2's subsidised price £274
Difference over 18 months between vodafone and o2 for contract (£15p/m) £270. Plus benefit of a 30day rolling sim only contract I can break/change anytime if I need.
Total = £544
Being able to upgrade at will and not have to mess around jailbreaking? Priceless
Plus the Increased resale value at the end :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.