Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Hi folks,

I wanna ask you experts about the good ole CC. I'm in need of a new/refurb narrow SCSI HD and I like to know can I put in a non-apple part to replace the one in there? I haven't received the actual unit yet but it's was sold working, with faulty HD.

Any advise would be great! Thanks. :)

Mars478

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
NYC, NY
Ask this question @
68kmla.net
You'll get tons of help there.
And Yes it is possible, you just may need to format it differently.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Update!!!

Today (25 Sept 09) I finally had that CC delivered to my door by it's former owner. It's arrived box-less with all it's original documentation with cardboard sleeve and classic :apple: stickers! A mucky keyboard and tanned mouse (yeah it's yellow!!) plus ADB cable (still wrapped in cellophane!!!). In fact the only thing missing is the system floppies - so i have no idea what OS it's supposed to be running without checking various other sites.

_MG_7591-20090928-044147.jpg

On the upside it works perfectly, there's sound plus the screen is clear! - so much to the dead HD as advertised - but the OS is completely in Italian!!! :eek: Umm.. anyone know where I can get the .smi's to reinstall the OS for the more friendly English version??? Floppy Disc images would be great!

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Specifically, you'll need System 7.1 disks but with "System Enabler 401".

Otherwise, you could install system 7.5.3 but it will run like molasses.

This Apple KB article shows which systems and enablers work with which machines.

The "Performa 250" came with the system pre-installed and a disk to make a backup set. The Performa 250 system was 7.1.2P (a bundle including ClarisWorks (IIRC). This is not to be confused with System 7.1.1Pro.

I must try to hunt down my old work Mac which had a full collection. :(

You can use a standard System 7.1 install but you need to do 2 things.

1. copy "System Enabler 401" to the "Install 1" disk, and

2. after installing, copy the "System Enabler 401" to the installed "System Folder" on the hard drive.

You'll also need to copy that file to the "Disk Tools" disk to allow it to boot.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Ah!! Thanks..

[edit]
Just my luck!!
The 7.1 (english) links result in a error! "550 Failed to change directory" and checking via ftp, the Mac directory doesn't exist any more!! Looks like they've rebuilt their server! Only things on there (previous level) are Linux, Sun and RedHat :eek:

Alternate source?
[/edit]

Looks like it's been moved into another directory/server.

http://www.ucalgary.ca/it/micros/mac/system/System_7.1.x/

EDIT: You might also grab QuickTime 4.0.3 - The last QuickTime for 68K & 7.1

Last edited:

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Thanks a whole bunch guys/girls. Think I'll start keeping a backup copy on my own server.. Along with all the various other useful bits - might be useful.

Oh, now I have another problem. How do I get a MacPro to create floppies that our CC can read? And another thing, do I use standard High Density DS or SS discs?

Alternatively, could i put the system files on a SCSI Zip drive and use that to install the OS???

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Thanks a whole bunch guys/girls. Think I'll start keeping a backup copy on my own server.. Along with all the various other useful bits - might be useful.

Oh, now I have another problem. How do I get a MacPro to create floppies that our CC can read? And another thing, do I use standard High Density DS or SS discs?

Alternatively, could i put the system files on a SCSI Zip drive and use that to install the OS???

Use High Density DS disks. It might be easier to to put the files onto a SCSI Zip drive and create the floppies on the Color Classic's own floppy drive (since it will be the one reading them). In that instance, you might want to get "Disk Copy 4.2".

Hopefully, you can use the Already installed Italian system to create the disks. If the Zip drive won't mount, you'll need the Zip Driver v3.5.3 (see attachment).

You can use a USB Floppy drive to create the disks. There is a thread on this here.

The Iomega disk may already have the SCSI driver in it's partition map, in which case, booting the Colour Classic with the Zip drive attached with you ZIP disk already inside might allow you to mount the ZIP disk without installing the driver. Iomega mucked around with installing the driver on the disk and NOT installing the driver on the disk with each new version of the Zip disk formatter so it's difficult to know.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

• Iomega Install 3.5.3.zip
    378.5 KB · Views: 541
Last edited:

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
TBH, I might be crazy, but I ran System 7.5.5 on my LC when it only had 6 MB of RAM, and it wasn't that painful. In fact, it was nearly as fast as 7.1.

Fair comment. It'll depend on how fast the HD is, how much VM hits the drive too. Too many variables, really. Lots of extra extensions etc etc.

If 7.1 runs all that you need, I'd sooner run 7.1, but if you need or want the features of 7.5.x then run 7.5.

Mind you, I used to see a lot of Color Classics here in OZ. Apple Australia did a promo with the largest grocery store chain Coles called "Apples for Schools" where parents could collect stamps at the point of purchase, hand them over to the school, and when the school accumulated enough, get a "free" Colour Classic.

Sadly, whilst a lot were acquired this way, they were never upgraded and hardly ever used. The idea was great, but Apple Australia never really followed up with the support and promotion they could have. In later years, I saw heaps of these coming from small schools that had hardly used them and wanted to get internet access on them. 7.5.5 was really the only option. It was buggy as heck and needed a fair amount of RAM. I expect that plenty ended up in the bin. :eek: :(

Last edited:

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Thanks MacTech,

Out of curiosity, is there anyway of creating floppies from the CD version of the OS? I just realise I have all the system software ranging from 7.0.1 to 9.0.1 and everything after is just OSX. Also, is it possible to make System 7 load MO disks? My drive is a LeCie SCSI based MO640; I have tons of software backed up onto one or more MO discs which we're originally backed up from a old PM7500 that shipped with OS7.

Oh another question.. what's missing?

JRLfrom68k

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2009
AFAIK, OS 7.6 has floppy disk images, but you need a fair amount of floppies. OS 7.6 also is not really better enough IMO to be considered better than 7.5.5.

That brown socket is a space for a 68882 FPU chip. (and it didn't come with one BTW)

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
AFAIK, OS 7.6 has floppy disk images, but you need a fair amount of floppies. OS 7.6 also is not really better enough IMO to be considered better than 7.5.5.

That brown socket is a space for a 68882 FPU chip. (and it didn't come with one BTW)

Ditto to that.

You can always create a "Net-install" from Apple's Floppy Installers, but if you had the 7.5.3 CD Install you could use that.

Regarding the MO drive, it's a similar issue as with the ZIP drive. If the driver is included within the partition map on the MO DISK itself, power up the Colour Classic with the MO drive connected and powered AND the MO disk inserted. The MO drive can then pass the driver to the Mac at boot-up and the disk mounts.

I love the old MO drives. Sadly, one of the most reliable forms of storage and yet the most expensive, it never really took off. I just passed on getting an old Iomega Peerless. They were MO drives. A nice idea but again, too expensive.

A good tool might be SCSIProbe v4.3. A Control panel that you can use to attempt force mounting of SCSI devices. Can't seem to find v4.3 and I only have v5.1.x which IIRC only works on PPC. :(

Last edited:

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Ditto to that.

You can always create a "Net-install" from Apple's Floppy Installers, but if you had the 7.5.3 CD Install you could use that.

Regarding the MO drive, it's a similar issue as with the ZIP drive. If the driver is included within the partition map on the MO DISK itself, power up the Colour Classic with the MO drive connected and powered AND the MO disk inserted. The MO drive can then pass the driver to the Mac at boot-up and the disk mounts.

I love the old MO drives. Sadly, one of the most reliable forms of storage and yet the most expensive, it never really took off. I just passed on getting an old Iomega Peerless. They were MO drives. A nice idea but again, too expensive.

A good tool might be SCSIProbe v4.3. A Control panel that you can use to attempt force mounting of SCSI devices. Can't seem to find v4.3 and I only have v5.1.x which IIRC only works on PPC. :(

I use them cause I consider them to be secure for long term storage (unlike a CDR or DVDR the data stays stable for upto 50 years, ideal for keeping hard to find classic applications on) and most definitely secure when it comes to thieves, since very very few people have them - like you said, they're expensive!

Oh, I'll uploaded it to my server for you: SCSIProbe v4.3,
anything else you like? Let me know.. I'll have a search through my archives.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
I use them cause I consider them to be secure for long term storage (unlike a CDR or DVDR the data stays stable for upto 50 years, ideal for keeping hard to find classic applications on) and most definitely secure when it comes to thieves, since very very few people have them - like you said, they're expensive!

Oh, I'll uploaded it to my server for you: SCSIProbe v4.3,
anything else you like? Let me know.. I'll have a search through my archives.

Thanks UltraNEO! I can't think of anything at the moment. I really need to hunt down two old machines that my previous employer has. A Quadra 950 which had several hard drives full of disk images of all the various model specific system floppies and some Performa 7.1.2P backup sets and heaps more that I archived. I then might do a MacintoshGarden setup. :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.