Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Sep 13, 2009, 09:46 AM   #1
salientstimulus
macrumors member

Crossfading two audio tracks in Logic?

This might be a stupid question, but I haven't figured it out yet, and it seems like there's probably an easy method.

I recorded an acoustic guitar part with two microphones (one close and one further back), and I'd like to find a way to smoothly crossfade between them. I've previously used automation to control wet/dry signal from effect plug-ins, which was easy, MIDI-controllable, and non-destructive. Is there a similar way to control A/B signal using the automation system?
salientstimulus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 03:02 AM   #2
seisend
macrumors 6502

Did you check out the Crossfade tool in Logic Pro ? Just search in the manual, there is a how-to .
seisend is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 08:21 AM   #3
salientstimulus
macrumors member

The crossfade tool (at least as far as I understand it) seems like kind of a pain for what I want to do. I'm hoping to have two tracks that are played for the entire song, and smoothly change the balance between them over time (i.e., more room sound at some points, more proximity effect-bass at other points). Basically, I guess I'm hoping there's a way to use automation to control both track faders in opposite directions (like a DJ's crossfader or wet/dry knob).
Old Sep 14, 2009, 08:43 AM   #4
Teej guy
macrumors 6502a

Check the manual for how to do automation. Click the "a" button the keyboard to get started. You'll be able to either draw it in/use breakpoints or record fader moves. Just change the volume automation for the tracks in question.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 10:06 AM   #5
salientstimulus
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej guy View Post
Check the manual for how to do automation. Click the "a" button the keyboard to get started. You'll be able to either draw it in/use breakpoints or record fader moves. Just change the volume automation for the tracks in question.
Sorry, I think I was unclear. I'm familiar with how to use automation, but I was wondering if there's a way to set an automation parameter that controls A/B mix between two tracks (maybe using a bus channel?). The alternative is drawing curves for both tracks, which means doing some math/tweaking to maintain the total output of the two tracks (A+B) at a constant level as each individual track changes.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 02:05 PM   #6
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by salientstimulus View Post
Sorry, I think I was unclear. I'm familiar with how to use automation, but I was wondering if there's a way to set an automation parameter that controls A/B mix between two tracks (maybe using a bus channel?). The alternative is drawing curves for both tracks, which means doing some math/tweaking to maintain the total output of the two tracks (A+B) at a constant level as each individual track changes.
Could you "fake it" by using pan? Pan, I think keeps L+R at a constant level. Then when you are done just ignore one of the stereo pairs
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2009, 05:18 PM   #7
deej999
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by salientstimulus View Post
I saw a way to copy and reverse automation data on a video in the TNT2 series at macprovideo. I think this may help...

Draw / record volume automation or fades on track 1.

Open the Automation Event List (key command only. Look in KC window)

Now Open a new Arrange Page. The new page will show region automation regions.

Copy the automation region to the other track.

Select it and open the Transform window and set the Conditions Status to Control data. Set the Data Byte 2 Operations to Reverse.

Click on 'Select & Operate'.

You now have a type of crossfade written as automation.

Old Oct 1, 2009, 09:23 AM   #8
completeidiot23
macrumors member

maybe send the channels to an aux channel using the same bus. then use the autoomation to automate the send levels to each bus?

I'm not a pro, and that was just off the top of my head
completeidiot23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio