Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Sep 13, 2009, 03:44 PM   #1
phifer8390
macrumors member

Learning Mac Shortcuts

I am still a little new to OS X. I have had a couple older macs to get me transitioned over and now I am using one full time. But there are a few shortcuts that I love for windows and I would like to know if the equivalent is available on my mac.
1. When I highlight something on my vista machine in a browser and click search in Google it opens in a new tab. Is this possible on my mac. I have not tried Firefox on it and that is what I use in windows, but does it work there or is there a way to get it to open in a new tab in safari?

2. When I click a link on my windows machine in my e-mail it opens in a new tab and not another window. Can i make this happen on my mac in Safari?

3. Last one. On my windows machine I hit control enter after typing the address in the address bar and it throws in the www. and the .com/.net Is there a replacement shortcut in OS X?

Thanks for your help

Last edited by phifer8390; Sep 13, 2009 at 04:10 PM.
phifer8390 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 03:56 PM   #2
John Doe 57
macrumors 65816

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343
Old Sep 13, 2009, 03:57 PM   #3
emptyCup
macrumors 65816

1. Application Menu (e.g Safari) > Services > Search With Google

2. Safari > Preferences > Tabs > Apple-Click = Open in New Tab

3. No Shortcut necessary. www. & .com are added automatically if not entered.
emptyCup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 03:59 PM   #4
BlueRevolution
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by phifer8390 View Post
3. Last one. On my windows machine I hit control enter after typping the address in the address bar and it throws in the www. and the .com/.net Is there a replacement shortcut in OS X?
Firefox will automatically do a Google "I'm feeling lucky" search if the web address is not found, and you can configure Safari to do the same using Keywurl.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 04:14 PM   #5
phifer8390
macrumors member

Quote:
I am still a little new to OS X. I have had a couple older macs to get me transitioned over and now I am using one full time. But there are a few shortcuts that I love for windows and I would like to know if the equivalent is available on my mac.
1. When I highlight something on my vista machine in a browser and click search in Google it opens in a new tab. Is this possible on my mac. I have not tried Firefox on it and that is what I use in windows, but does it work there or is there a way to get it to open in a new tab in safari?

2. When I click a link on my windows machine in my e-mail it opens in a new tab and not another window. Can i make this happen on my mac in Safari?

3. Last one. On my windows machine I hit control enter after typing the address in the address bar and it throws in the www. and the .com/.net Is there a replacement shortcut in OS X?

Thanks for your help
1. I need to remember to click command when clicking link

3. Just need to stop clicking command when i hit enter
Old Sep 13, 2009, 04:16 PM   #6
phifer8390
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyCup View Post
1. Application Menu (e.g Safari) > Services > Search With Google
Not much of a shortcut. Just about as fast as opening new tab and pasting in my search... Unless I find out whae "up+command+l" is. I tried up and I guess that is not the correct key?.?.?.

Any new thoughts? can this shortcut be changed?
Old Sep 13, 2009, 04:18 PM   #7
phifer8390
macrumors member

Quote:
Not much of a shortcut. Just about as fast as opening new tab and pasting in my search... Unless I find out whae "up+command+l" is. I tried up and I guess that is not the correct key?.?.?.

Any new thoughts? can this shortcut be changed?
As soon as I posted this I realized it is shift command L. I guess that will do. Lock those in the memory bank. it is going to get difficult at work throwing the wrong shortcut into internet explorer

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help