Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

svenr

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2003
Hi all,

some questions have come up here and there recently about MacFanaticShop.

Stay away from it! It is nothing but the latest incarnation of a fraud that has been going on for a long time. To prove that I put together a website. Please visit:

http://www.bustspammers.com/macfanaticshop-fraud/

If you have anything to contribute, please post to the MacRumors forum thread that the site is mainly based on. Spread the word and warn potential Mac shoppers!

PS: the original thread should be made a sticky and have its name changed to the current incarnation!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
You've done an excellent job of summarizing the offenses of Mac Whiz/MacFanaticShop!

I would recommend that this thread - or rather, your initial post with the website, as the other comments aren't necessary - be sticky. Making the original thread(s) sticky would require too much reading on the part of many people. Your summary is by far better.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
excellent summary. thanks for putting it together.

you may want to mention on your website that at least three posts were made at MR on the original thread that are sympathetic to the entire scam operations: post #18 by jamekurtis, #203/212 by lawmanca and #219/224 by wwjdsong.

one of the admins mentions that that IP address of jamekurtis is not near the business address of the scamming sites. (post #63 by rower_CPU.)

the founder of MR also provides further info on others elsewhere being sympathetic to the entire scam operations. (post #70 by arn.)

GroverDoc

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2004
Bronx
Outstanding!!!

This is a fantastic job of summarizing this scam.
Everyone shopping for a mac should know about this.
Based on this scam's history, lets all keep a look out for the next incarnation.

Very well done, svenr.

w00tmaster

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2004
Interesting to note

Thanks for the info, I almost bought a 20" display off them, always found it to be a bit fishy that you couldn't submit credit card info to them online..
But is interesting that even though they are fraudelent, they pretend to be sold out of the low end eMac. Why, I have no idea...
:confused:

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
w00tmaster said:
But is interesting that even though they are fraudelent, they pretend to be sold out of the low end eMac. Why, I have no idea...

it's easy, they want to scam the most amount of money as possible. it's far more effective to advertise a high end model at a discount because you still have higher "profit" than offering similar "deals" on lower end machines.

i rarely wish anyone ill, but i hope this guy gets busted so hard into a living hell.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Great job, and a great service to the Mac community. Thanks for the hard work. As usual, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is...

svenr

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2003
applemacdude said:
CAn a mod make that link a sticky so people visiting this site will be informed?
Thanks for all the praise, guys! I just really wanna see this guy go to jail. Hope it makes the rounds and someone at the FBI or so finally gets their act togther and starts DOING something. Help spread the word!

I wrote to MacRumors, asking to make this a Sticky, too. (there's a Contact Us link at the bottom of every page) But it seems they're either not reading their mail or they don't care...

Thanks for the suggestion with the shills, jxyama. I was thinking about that; I may put it in when I update the site with some news if anything happens.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
eMac's not available

Well there might be some truth to the eMac's not being in stock, you see I am getting an eMac for school next year, and my dad knows a developper who is also a reseller. Anyway, he says he can't order iMacs (we know that) OR eMacs. Can anyone else verify this?

jemeinc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2004
South Jersey
Sharewaredemon said:
Well there might be some truth to the eMac's not being in stock, you see I am getting an eMac for school next year, and my dad knows a developper who is also a reseller. Anyway, he says he can't order iMacs (we know that) OR eMacs. Can anyone else verify this?

Well, the point that was being made was since this guy's a fraud, & has no actual computers to sell, it seemed odd that he would label the eMac "out of stock"... He has no "stock"...

upperblue79

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2004
Little Rock, AR
w00tmaster said:
they act like they are out of everything below like $700, all accessories are sold out, airport, ipod, etc...

mistral

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2004
mac fanatic

Hi,
I hope there is a way to bring these guy's down because I have been framed as well. I would like to know what kind of steps are taken and what would be the best thing to do, if you have been framed

thanks there!

:mad: :mad:

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
Read This

mistral said:
Hi,
I hope there is a way to bring these guy's down because I have been framed as well. I would like to know what kind of steps are taken and what would be the best thing to do, if you have been framed

thanks there!

:mad: :mad:

Here's the saga of Macwhiz aka Macfanaticshop. Please read it and get up to speed. At the end of it you might have a better idea of who to contact, based on where you live, how you paid, etc. Good luck.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/41856/

Also, the website in the original post is a SUPERB compilation of the scam at hand. Hats off to the creator.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.