Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caviar

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Do you think that Apple will enable the 802.11n and FM tuner feature for the 3rd Gen iPod touch(Late 2009) at a later date?

I don't mind being charged for the update.
I want the 802.11n and FM tuner more than a camera.

But I also have doubts that they might not enable it even if the touch's have the chip installed.(To make you buy the next iPod touch)
The reason is, they didn't enable the Genius feature for the old iPod Classics.
They could of added it with a firmware update.
But they didn't.

I'm really thinking of buying the 64GB model if Apple's going to enable the 802.11n and FM tuner feature.

fernande-mac

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2009
Midwest
Existence of a chip that potentially supports a feature is no indication that the feature can be enabled via a firmware update. There can be still missing hardware to enable the functionality.

The only people who would know such as thing are Apple executives or design engineers and they would not speak.

Do not base your purchase of electronics on rumors that have not solid base. They only thing you can be sure of are press release announcements indicating that a feature will be added at a certain date. Anything else is just speculation.

If you like/need the features a device has right now, then buy it. Otherwise, don't buy it, or buy it knowing full well the limitations or missing functionality.

broken-chaos

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
There is an FM radio chip inside the iPod touch 2G. They have not enabled it yet, so it does not seem likely that they will. That's also the part that may need extra hardware - namely an appropriate antenna.

The 802.11n is much more likely to be enabled at some point in the future.

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
There is an FM radio chip inside the iPod touch 2G. They have not enabled it yet, so it does not seem likely that they will. That's also the part that may need extra hardware - namely an appropriate antenna.

The 802.11n is much more likely to be enabled at some point in the future.

I agree. The last iPod had a bluetooth/FM chip in it. The bluetooth was enabled because the Nike+ antenna was also a bluetooth antenna. The FM was not enabled. Going on past records, the N-wireless might be enabled with iPhone OS 4.0.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I didn't see that the tearsown said the extra antanae required for N was present. That to me would be the clue that it might happen.

I would LOVE N to go back to my exclusive N net. The radio would be nice for not needing a transmitter in the car.... I'm having issue onthat front currently.

Anyway...

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2008
And what would they do for an antenna for the FM? Just because the chip can do something doesn't mean a firmware update will suddenly make it work perfectly.

Same as the nano and most other PMPs with FM radio the earphones are used as the antenna.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
The 2.0 Touch had a bluetooth capable chip in it that Apple eventually anabled for bluetooth headphones and more. There was a macbook that was n-capable that Apple eventually enabled. So Apple has a history of releasing devices with more capabilities than they initially use, then activating those capabilities eventually with a firmware update.

I'm confident they've been working on a Touch with all the features they added to the Nano, but once they realized the camera wasn't going to be ready in time they simply rolled back to an earlier stable firmware point and released camera-less Touches. That stable firmware didn't yet have FM or N enabled, so we get to wait and pay another upgrade fee for those later. I expect FM and N in a mid-year firmware update, and the camera in a hardware update next year.

Caviar

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Thanks for the replies guys :)
I'll think carefully.
I personally don't need a camera, so it would be great if Apple enabled 802.11n and the FM tuner with a firmware update.

IF Apple were to enable it,
I think it would be like next year. When the new iPod touch with camera gets released. Because if they also announce 802.11n and FM tuner(which is already on the nano), I think it would be a much more impact than just a camera added. And they might give the Late 2009 those feature via firmware update. (But this is all just a speculation as fernande-mac said.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.