Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Sep 14, 2009, 08:57 PM   #1
Resso
macrumors newbie

DirectX missing on Windows 7???

I have a MacBook Pro with two Nvidia cards but my bootcamp'd Windows 7 can't find directX and I can't install it (well, I can, but it can't be found). I'm running Leopard 10.5.8

Any help would be appreciated, I bootcamp'd to play games and now I can't
Resso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 09:54 PM   #2
rgarjr
macrumors 603

just google directx download and you will find it. Try downloading the offline version which is like 90MB.
rgarjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 09:59 PM   #3
Nermal

Are you getting this error from a particular game?
Nermal is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 11:38 PM   #4
Resso
macrumors newbie

I've already downloaded and installed the DirectX from August 2009, but it still says the same "can't make DirectX file" or something like that error (right now, I'm on the leopard partition, I'll check the right text in a minute)

The error comes from the Requiem:Bloodymare game, but I doubt it's the cause of the problem, because when I run the rating program, everything is around 5 or 6, but the video parts stay at 1... This is too ambigous, give me 5 minutes, I'll edit this post with the right info...

EDIT:

The correct message is: "DirectX Graphics system Creation Failed"

The Windows Experience Index is as follows:

Processor: 6.4
Memory (RAM): 5.9
Graphics: 1.0
Gaming graphics: 1.0
Primary hard disk: 5.8

WTF?

EDIT2:

I've seen I'm not the only one, and I'm just thinking it could be due to having two video cards in one laptop, and bootcamp somehow not knowing how to recognize the one I want to use. Does anyone know one of these?:

a) how to disable one graphics card from Leopard
b) how to enable the use of two video cards for bootcamp
c) ... mind loop... If I remember I'll post it haha

Last edited by Resso; Sep 15, 2009 at 12:07 AM. Reason: additional details, avoid double post
Old Sep 15, 2009, 12:11 AM   #5
carlos700
macrumors regular

Neither the 9400M or 9600M GT should give you a score of 1.0 for your WEI. That score makes me think Windows isn't seeing your graphics cards. Or that you need to update your WEI. I would make sure you have proper Windows 7 graphics drivers installed for your graphics cards.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 12:13 AM   #6
Stridder44
macrumors 68040

You're getting that error when installing the latest DirectX? Or when you're running a certain game, or does it happen with any game?
Stridder44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2009, 12:54 AM   #7
Resso
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos700 View Post
Neither the 9400M or 9600M GT should give you a score of 1.0 for your WEI. That score makes me think Windows isn't seeing your graphics cards. Or that you need to update your WEI. I would make sure you have proper Windows 7 graphics drivers installed for your graphics cards.
I just checked the device manager and in Display, the only thing appearing is a regular VGA adaptor (9400M and 9600M GT are missing). I installed the drivers from the BootCamp installer of my Leopard DVD...

And to the other poster, the message appears when trying to launch Requiem, but as we're seeing, this isn't a problem with the game itself, but with windows not recognizing my video cards... I can't even turn Aero on haha
Old Sep 15, 2009, 06:27 AM   #8
Gav Mack
macrumors 65816

Windows 7 installs a generic SVGA driver, then an Nvidia one from Windows Update. The boot camp installer tries to install it's version but after restart you're back to the generic SVGA driver.

Go to Nvidia's website and download the Geoforce 9M drivers for Windows 7. Right click and run as administrator and on restart you'll have Aero and Directx.
Gav Mack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2009, 09:21 AM   #9
Resso
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav Mack View Post
Windows 7 installs a generic SVGA driver, then an Nvidia one from Windows Update. The boot camp installer tries to install it's version but after restart you're back to the generic SVGA driver.

Go to Nvidia's website and download the Geoforce 9M drivers for Windows 7. Right click and run as administrator and on restart you'll have Aero and Directx.
I tried with the notebook Gforce 9M for Windows 7 64bit notebook drivers and I got this message:

"The NVIDIA Setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit"

=/ Any more ideas?
Old Sep 15, 2009, 09:33 AM   #10
Resso
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zflauaus View Post
What I had to do on my July 2008 MacBook Pro was go into the disk, find the drivers folder, then the nVidia folder, and select like "nvidiamobilex64" or something like that and then it worked flawlessly.
*trying*

EDIT: HELL YEAH! IT WORKED!! Thanks to this guy in another thread haha

Last edited by Resso; Sep 15, 2009 at 09:40 AM.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac