Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Sep 15, 2009, 05:40 AM   #1
mantle536
macrumors newbie

how to share files from linux to mac on a network

so i replaced xp on my desktop pc with ubuntu 9.04, and i want to share the files from that computer with my macbook over my network. how do i get the mac to find the pc?(and i am still very new to linux, so go easy on me) thanks
mantle536 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2009, 07:52 AM   #2
weckart
macrumors 68020

Here is a guide to show you how to get AFP shares up and running. I had problems getting the Time Machine volume to work, so gave up in favour of a Hackintosh Server, but for simple file serving, this does the trick.

Ubuntu As Mac File Server
weckart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2009, 08:46 AM   #3
foidulus
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantle536 View Post
so i replaced xp on my desktop pc with ubuntu 9.04, and i want to share the files from that computer with my macbook over my network. how do i get the mac to find the pc?(and i am still very new to linux, so go easy on me) thanks
The best way to do things is through NFS(network file systems), unlike Microsoft, both Linux and OS X support it out of the box. There are a lot of tutorials online for how to set up NFS, I've never used Ubuntu so I cannot comment on the specifics for that, but I hope that will point you in the right direction.
foidulus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:20 PM   #4
mantle536
macrumors newbie

great! thanks for the help guys. i'll give them both a try and see which works out better.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 11:36 AM   #5
foshizzle
macrumors regular

Here's a general NFS how-to for ubuntu. In the options for the mount, make sure you use 'insecure' as well for your options.

Example from the forum modified with this option:
/files 192.168.1.0/24(rw,insecure)

Don't worry about the client section of the writeup, you only want a server.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=249889

Then on your mac (if you have snow leopard), open Disk utility, go to file->NFS mounts, click the plus, add the server as "nfs://server.local/path/to/files"
The next blank is where you want it mounted on your Mac, I usually put "/network/_whatever_you_want_here_" because it will show up in the 'shared' section of the finder when you click all under network. (for the paths, don't use the quotation marks when typing them in, or anything else I say to type in - just type what is inside the quotes).
For advanced options, I use "soft" and check the "ignore set userid privileges" box as well. Click okay and apply (type in password for your mac) and as long as you set up the server correctly it should map fine.

Good luck - Ubuntu is really fun. It took me a while to figure out the NFS thing but once I did it's a nice thing to have, so I don't have to authenticate and it automaps for me.
foshizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2009, 02:27 AM   #6
mantle536
macrumors newbie

@foshizzle i wished i would have checked back here sooner. thanks so much for the how-to, got it all set up and running. i really appreciate it.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking