Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft today announced that it has begun shipping Office 2008 for Mac Business Edition, replacing the previous Standard Edition and Special Media Edition with a single package offering the complete Office suite with support for Microsoft Exchange included.
The new Office 2008 for Mac Business Edition is a lot like it sounds... a suite that's packed with tools and features needed to grow and manage a business. It has all the familiar Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Entourage, all updated with Service Pack 2) while including new tools to provide a more complete productivity package for the enterprise:

- Entourage 2008, Web Services Edition - Provides faster data synchronization so Entourage users on Exchange 2007 will experience improved email and calendaring support. Additionally, we've added the ability to sync Tasks, Notes and Categories - one of the top customer requests - making Entourage 2008, Web Services Edition the best client for Exchange on the Mac.

- Document Connection for Mac - Improves access and browsing to documents on SharePoint Products and Technologies and Microsoft Office Live Workspace for streamlined collaboration

- Extras - More than 200 business-related templates and clip art, along with lynda.com training
Office 2008 for Mac Business Edition carries a recommended retail price of $399.95 for the full version and $239.95 for an upgrade version. The existing Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Home and Student Edition, which offers the basic Office components but lacks a number of advanced features, continues to be offered at a suggested retail price of $149.95.

Microsoft announced the introduction of Office 2008 for Mac Business Edition last month alongside details of Outlook for Mac's inclusion in the next major version of Office scheduled for launch in late 2010.

Article Link: Microsoft Begins Shipping Office 2008 for Mac Business Edition

twixx007

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2009
Durham, NC
I currently have MS Office 2008 and iWork ’09. Frankly I like iWork ’09 better because it's faster and it runs a lot smoother IMO.

vrillusions

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
Cleveland, Ohio, US
http://www.openoffice.org/

Feel free to send me the $400 per seat you save. I've used a version of openoffice (neooffice before openoffice was native) for years now. Only if there's some weird graphics on it do I ever have a problem, and that's rare. Also don't think it opens the .docx that you need the latest office to view. Although the people that do have MS Office have had to change the default from .docx anyways since their customers couldn't open them.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
Thanks but no thanks.

I already have Office 2008 and will sit this one out till late-2010 when the next version comes out.

In the meantime, seriously how many people are really going to get this "new" edition? I would guess that most people who want/need Office for Mac already upgraded. Most PC switchers getting a Mac for the first time are probably consumers not businesses and will stick with the Home/Student Edition and save the $250 up-charge.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
I have an iMac with 8GB of RAM and I can't believe how crappy Office 08 runs :(

However, in our experience, the other office suites (OO, AbiWord, etc...) can't produce the documents we need in .doc format without formatting issues.

What a piece of *!%&* MS Office is.

ugh

mwxiao

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
CT
When are they going to do some serious updates on MSN??? I can't freaking believe it. It's been so long.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU

Feel free to send me the $400 per seat you save. I've used a version of openoffice (neooffice before openoffice was native) for years now. Only if there's some weird graphics on it do I ever have a problem, and that's rare. Also don't think it opens the .docx that you need the latest office to view. Although the people that do have MS Office have had to change the default from .docx anyways since their customers couldn't open them.

I liked OO for simple stuff ... but every research grant I submit has 1-2 embedded images per page and it just can't handle it in .doc format. I'd love to switch (it's not even the money, but rather the smoothness).

ugh

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
I have the 2008, I don't see much benefit in getting this "new" version.

(why did they keep the 2008 for this new version?)

MalibuMatt98

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2009
Glad I got my for free when I originally purchased Office 2004...I only use it Excel for work, other than that iWork 09 is better suited for me.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2002
MS knows it's 2009 right?

Yeah, but they got it out months before 2010. :rolleyes:

So they can still release Office 2010 (sometime in the next 2-3 years) with even more bloatware and charge out the wazoo for that too.

Fastshutter

Aug 21, 2007

Mac 2008 Business Edition has new tools for Sharepoint services. Does OO have the same abilities to work on team documents?

How long until its on a Warez site?

Why is it Applefanboys have no problem shelling out 3x the $$$ for Apple computers but are too poor to pay for software?

Most PC switchers getting a Mac for the first time are probably consumers not businesses and will stick with the Home/Student Edition and save the $250 up-charge.

Why would consumers buy the Business Edition? A company that relies on Sharepoint will instantly see the benefit of the new version and supply the software to employees that need it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.