Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

red9

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
I have a 3G and am about to get a 3GS. I remember reading a while ago that restoring (I think, not quite sure as I've never had to do anything regarding backing up or restoring before) from a backup of a 3G to a new 3GS phone resulted in greatly decreased battery life.

I suppose my questions are as follows-

1. Is that true regarding decreased battery life?
2. If it is true, what is the best/safest way to migrate over from a 3G to a new 3GS (and will I lose all App/Game data/saves/whatever with it?)? I probably need a semi-detailed walkthrough beginning with "take 3GS out of the box and plug it in" :eek:

Thanks in advance for the help!

woolymammoth

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2009
I dont have a 3gs but as for moving it over,
back up your 3g first to itunes.
then plug in your 3gs and when it asks set up as new phone or restore from back up, click restore from back up. select your backup and its done

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
I dont have a 3gs but as for moving it over,
back up your 3g first to itunes.
then plug in your 3gs and when it asks set up as new phone or restore from back up, click restore from back up. select your backup and its done

That's absolutely incorrect.

Do NOT restore from a back up. You have to completely set it up as a new phone. The 3G and the 3GS have different battery settings and if you restore from a backup you will migrate the battery settings from your 3G onto your 3GS which will cause the battery problems.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
That's absolutely incorrect.

Do NOT restore from a back up. You have to completely set it up as a new phone. The 3G and the 3GS have different battery settings and if you restore from a backup you will migrate the battery settings from your 3G onto your 3GS which will cause the battery problems.

Fact.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to retain any of your application data unless you have some way outside of iTunes to back up the info (some todo lists sync with web services, other apps [1Password] create backups you can just save to your computer).

Good luck.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Okay, here is your detailed walkthrough.

1. Remove the shrink wrap from your new iPhone 3GS.
2. Open your iPhone 3GS box.
3. Remove your iPhone 3GS from the box.
4. Using the tab in the box underneath your new iPhone 3GS pull out plastic iPhone 3GS cradle to reach your USB cable.
5. Remove your USB cable from your iPhone 3GS box.
6. Plug your USB cable into the USB port of your computer.
7. Plug your new iPhone 3GS into the opposite end of your USB cable.
8. iTunes should open, if it does not open iTunes.
9. Once iTunes is open you should be greeted with a screen prompting you to register your new iPhone 3GS.
10. Register your iPhone 3GS.
11. Upon completion of registration you should be prompted to setup your new iPhone as either a new phone or restore from backup.
12. Select Setup as new phone.
13. Click each tab along the top of the iPhone screen to select which items you would like loaded onto your new iPhone 3GS.
14. Click SYNC.
15. Upon completion of SYNC wait until iTunes advises that it is safe to remove your iPhone 3GS.
16. If iTunes does not advise you that it is safe to remove your iPhone 3GS, click the EJECT button next to the iPhone icon in iTunes in the LEFT TOOLBAR.
17. Enjoy your new iPhone 3GS

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I have a 3G and am about to get a 3GS. I remember reading a while ago that restoring (I think, not quite sure as I've never had to do anything regarding backing up or restoring before) from a backup of a 3G to a new 3GS phone resulted in greatly decreased battery life.

I suppose my questions are as follows-

1. Is that true regarding decreased battery life?
2. If it is true, what is the best/safest way to migrate over from a 3G to a new 3GS (and will I lose all App/Game data/saves/whatever with it?)? I probably need a semi-detailed walkthrough beginning with "take 3GS out of the box and plug it in" :eek:

Thanks in advance for the help!

1. Yes, it's very true.
2. You will not loose apps, contacts and calendars as long as you sync it first with your Mac/PC. The only thing lost is pictures in the Camera Roll and App data (saved games).

Just plug in 3GS to iTunes, and sync up all your contacts | calendars | Apps and anything else in your computer to your iPhone. Plain and simple.

red9

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
Thanks for all the help guys (particularly xbuddycorex for the way more thorough than necessary walk-through ;) ), it's much appreciated.

Will Apple learn from this in the future to not make it so cumbersome to upgrade for people who have a lot of apps/games with saved data to have to basically start from scratch? It seems to run counter to the whole 'it just works' thing...

Chris Welch

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
New York
Uhhh.. you really don't have to eject the iPhone. As long as it's not doing any backing up or syncing, it's perfectly fine to just unplug it.

Surrix

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009
Eh, I think this is BS personally. I upgraded my 2G iPhone to a 3G without setting up as a new phone and have had stellar battery life. I think your mileage simply varies, and setting up as a new phone simply eliminates any other problems. I don't personally believe it to be an issue of importing power settings.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

Good grief. Who made you people keepers of the FACTS?

FACT: Setting up as a new phone had no effect on my 3GS battery life. It was meh after restoring from a backup, and it's meh after wiping it and setting it up as a new phone with no restore.

Some people seem to have forgotten the magic letters YMMV.

I want the hour of my life back I spent wiping the phone, because of someone else's "FACTS".

chanteloup

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2009
help!

Well I have an issue with this. I broke my 3G and couldnt make an restore, but I have the ispw restore saved in my backup folder and the second thing is that I have a new computer, so when I today got my new 3Gs, it didnt ask me to set up a new phone (of course because it is an new install of itunes in a new computer), so I located the old restore and put it in the same folder as the new restore, but iTunes doesn't see the old restore when I press restore, so I could set a the new phone..

If I restore it holding down shift, it would mean that I restore the old to the new and have serious batteryproblem?

Is there a way to restore my old 3G to my new 3Gs?

edit:

or if i get my hands on an old 3G and restore my old stuff to it by holding shift and restore, then I could do a new backup with my new computer and then i could connect my 3Gs and it would ask me for setting up a new phone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.