Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Sep 16, 2009, 02:03 AM   #1
Stridder44
macrumors 68040

Apple Remote pause/play button keeps opening iTunes

I'm sure this has already been posted, and I apologize if it has, but a couple of searches turned up empty.

Anyway, I just discovered this today and I'm praying this is a bug and not a "feature". When you click the pause/play button on the Apple Remote, iTunes opens and begins playing. The same thing happens when you hit the pause/play button on the media bar. I thought I was becoming dyslexic because iTunes kept playing randomly. It was only until today when I discovered this bug while playing a file in VLC. Apparently it happens with pretty much any app.

I don't know if this is thanks to Snow Leopard or iTunes 9, but it's downright stupid. Come on Apple, please fix this.
Stridder44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 02:22 AM   #2
cptbigt
macrumors newbie

Sadly, this is a new feature and works on most of the new apple keyboards - I wasn't aware of it working on the remote too. If you wish to disable it then your out of luck, unless someone knows of a way
cptbigt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 03:14 AM   #3
devburke

Itís a Snow Leopard thing. In Leopard, it would happen if you werenít already in another app that utilized the remote. Now in SL so far, even if another app is using the remote, the OS still sees it and uses it to control iTunes, Volume, and Front Row. It makes the remote unusable in other apps. Hopefully 10.6.2 fixes this bug.
devburke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 04:46 AM   #4
springyfox
macrumors member

If indeed this is a feature of Snow Leopard, then unfortunately it is also present in iTunes 9. I haven't upgraded my Mac yet as I use it for business but whenever I press the Play/Pause button on the keyboard, iTunes 9 opens!

This is really frustrating as I frequently press the button to try and pause some other media player by mistake, even YouTube! Rather than stopping the video playing, iTunes opens and begins to play the first thing alphabetically in my library!
springyfox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:52 AM   #5
devburke

Quote:
Originally Posted by springyfox View Post
If indeed this is a feature of Snow Leopard, then unfortunately it is also present in iTunes 9. I haven't upgraded my Mac yet as I use it for business but whenever I press the Play/Pause button on the keyboard, iTunes 9 opens!

This is really frustrating as I frequently press the button to try and pause some other media player by mistake, even YouTube! Rather than stopping the video playing, iTunes opens and begins to play the first thing alphabetically in my library!
Well pre-Leopard, it would launch iTunes unless other software you were using supported the remote. YouTube doesnít. But if you launch Hulu Desktop and then press the play/pause button (at least on the remote, I canít speak for the keyboard button) it wonít launch iTunes.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:12 AM   #6
rwilliams
macrumors 68030

I commented on this in another thread, and it unfortunately appears to be some ill-conceived "feature" of Snow Leopard. The way to get around it is to open QuickTime X, but without opening an actual movie. As long as QTX is open, you can use your remote on other apps just as you did in Leopard. This "trick" works just fine with VLC & Plex.
rwilliams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:21 AM   #7
damian001
macrumors newbie

Apple should make these as "options" instead of "features..."
damian001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:25 AM   #8
rwilliams
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian001 View Post
Apple should make these as "options" instead of "features..."
I agree, but this is the same company that in 2009 still refuses to make a mail client that uses vertical columns to take advantage of their own widescreen machines, and has removed many configurable options from QuickTime X (thus forcing people to find their own workarounds).
Old Sep 16, 2009, 12:25 PM   #9
HLdan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilliams View Post
I commented on this in another thread, and it unfortunately appears to be some ill-conceived "feature" of Snow Leopard. The way to get around it is to open QuickTime X, but without opening an actual movie. As long as QTX is open, you can use your remote on other apps just as you did in Leopard. This "trick" works just fine with VLC & Plex.
Your workaround is the hard way. All you have to do to get around this is make sure iTunes is opened up to the store, this way the remote can no longer cause reactions by iTunes. Just hide iTunes and you're good to go.
HLdan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 12:26 PM   #10
jointsmoking
Banned

It's very frustrating. I really really hope it's not a "feature". In my home, it makes the remote go from being used constantly to having little use at all. I used it with EyeTV and VLC mostly. Leaving I-Tunes open at the Store also serves as an ugly workaround.
jointsmoking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 01:18 PM   #11
rwilliams
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
Your workaround is the hard way. All you have to do to get around this is make sure iTunes is opened up to the store, this way the remote can no longer cause reactions by iTunes. Just hide iTunes and you're good to go.
How is mine harder than this? All I do is click on QuickTimeX in the Dock, and then use the remote to control other apps. One click is all it takes.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 01:22 PM   #12
rwilliams
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by jointsmoking View Post
It's very frustrating. I really really hope it's not a "feature". In my home, it makes the remote go from being used constantly to having little use at all. I used it with EyeTV and VLC mostly. Leaving I-Tunes open at the Store also serves as an ugly workaround.
I agree. Really, this is all I do to get around it:

1. Put QuickTime X in the dock.
2. Click on it. No QTX window opens by default, so all you see is the indicator under its icon.
3. Open VLC, EyeTV, Plex, etc. and use the remote as you did in Leopard.

3 easy steps, the first of which you only have to do once, ever.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 06:15 PM   #13
devburke

Quote:
I agree. Really, this is all I do to get around it:

1. Put QuickTime X in the dock.
2. Click on it. No QTX window opens by default, so all you see is the indicator under its icon.
3. Open VLC, EyeTV, Plex, etc. and use the remote as you did in Leopard.

3 easy steps, the first of which you only have to do once, ever.
These workarounds only work for play/pause and the skip buttons though. The volume and menu buttons are still unusable, so you canít use the remote with an app like Hulu Desktop.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 07:09 PM   #14
rwilliams
macrumors 68030

Actually, I'm able to use the volume buttons with VLC, but I haven't tried the Menu button yet.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:04 PM   #15
HLdan
Banned

Quote:
How is mine harder than this? All I do is click on QuickTimeX in the Dock, and then use the remote to control other apps. One click is all it takes.
Ha, you're right, I was reading so fast I thought your method looked complicated. Gotta slow down on my reading.
HLdan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2009, 06:03 PM   #16
brendu
macrumors 68000

this is realllly lame... apple made a terrible decision in doing this. Hulu Desktop was so great before, and now while its still usable with the keyboard, it is a huge bummer that the simple remote which worked so perfectly now does not. Apple: please fix this asap.
brendu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2009, 09:00 PM   #17
Stridder44
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman0408 View Post
this is realllly lame... apple made a terrible decision in doing this. Hulu Desktop was so great before, and now while its still usable with the keyboard, it is a huge bummer that the simple remote which worked so perfectly now does not. Apple: please fix this asap.

Agreed. It's even more annoying that the pause/play button on the keyboard does the same thing.
Stridder44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2009, 10:58 AM   #18
troels
macrumors newbie

If you already have iTunes open, I find that the QuickTime trick does not work. Then you can do the iTunes Store trick, but if you do not want to have it load the iT store using bandwidth and memory, you can just create an empty playlist, mine is called '****', and click on that. Then the controls will be disabled without having to load more stuff (than the already open iTunes).
troels is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2009, 09:48 AM   #19
osplo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devburke View Post
Itís a Snow Leopard thing. In Leopard, it would happen if you werenít already in another app that utilized the remote. Now in SL so far, even if another app is using the remote, the OS still sees it and uses it to control iTunes, Volume, and Front Row. It makes the remote unusable in other apps. Hopefully 10.6.2 fixes this bug.
Gee, I cannot believe this. In my Mini, pressing play for a while opens up Front Row, but I can use the remote to control Plex freely.

Is this confirmed?

I am NOT upgrading to Snow Leopard if I can't use the remote to control Plex.
osplo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 02:47 AM   #20
devburke

Quote:
Originally Posted by osplo View Post
Gee, I cannot believe this. In my Mini, pressing play for a while opens up Front Row, but I can use the remote to control Plex freely.

Is this confirmed?

Yeah, it’s been really widely reported, so I’d say it’s confirmed. Technically, you can still control other apps with the remote…but it’ll also control iTunes / Front Row at the same time. Although the QT workaround sounds good for apps that basically use stuff like play/pause, maybe skip. But as for the volume buttons (if the app uses them) or the menu button, I think for now we just have to wait.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 06:19 AM   #21
osplo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osplo View Post

Is this confirmed?

Wait a second. If you use Plex with the Media Server always on supporting the Harmony remote (not the Apple remote) then Plex should be controlling all the remote keystrokes, right? It means that iTunes would never get the remote keystrokes, solving the problem...

Has anyone tested this?

Thanks
osplo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X