Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crotalus99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
Has anyone noticed that the new iTunes / iPhone upgrade seems to have altered that movies that can be transferred onto the iPhone. I'm not sure about the ipod Touch, I haven't tried yet. Maybe this happened previous and I didn't notice, but after the upgrade I was messing around and noticed all the movies that I formatted to work with the aTV now are available from transfer onto the iPhone. I tried it and it did work. They play without issue. I haven't tried all 800+ movies in my collection, but have no reason to think they should work since I exclusively use either Videohub or handbrake.

Anyway, just a heads up. If it's old news ignore it, but I was excited to not have to reformat to take movies with me anymore.

FYI: I only format for aTV not the 5.1 option. No idea if that would make a difference.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
The reports we've received on the Handbrake forums state this is only available for the 3GS (and presumably the new iPod Touch 32GB and 64GB model).

I can confirm that it works with my 3GS... now the question is do I dare go back and re-encode my entire collection as the additional features of the AppleTV preset would save a nice amount of space on my NAS and iPhone (note: the quality should remaining fairly consistent to that of the Universal preset).

Felder71

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2008
The reports we've received on the Handbrake forums state this is only available for the 3GS (and presumably the new iPod Touch 32GB and 64GB model).

I can confirm that it works with my 3GS... now the question is do I dare go back and re-encode my entire collection as the additional features of the AppleTV preset would save a nice amount of space on my NAS and iPhone (note: the quality should remaining fairly consistent to that of the Universal preset).

Just in case, I'll probably still keep to Apple Universal. I'd hate for some new device to come out that doesn't support the Apple TV compression and Apple Universal is fairly portable. Considering we are now getting 64 GB iPod Touches and we should be seeing iPhone increases as well, space is not as much of an issue when it comes to DVD rips.

macfaninpdx

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2007
Just in case, I'll probably still keep to Apple Universal. I'd hate for some new device to come out that doesn't support the Apple TV compression and Apple Universal is fairly portable. Considering we are now getting 64 GB iPod Touches and we should be seeing iPhone increases as well, space is not as much of an issue when it comes to DVD rips.

Keep in mind that the Handbrake presets are based on existing revisions of existing devices. There is no guarantee that encodes with these presets will work on future devices, or even on future revisions of the same device.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I did notice that none of my movies were grayed out anymore and wondered what would happen if i selected one that previously was grayed out. Glad I didn't spend time re-encoding those as I had planned! Can you now copy movies that you only have an HD rip for? I'll have to check that out.

Felder71

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2008
Keep in mind that the Handbrake presets are based on existing revisions of existing devices. There is no guarantee that encodes with these presets will work on future devices, or even on future revisions of the same device.

Fair enough, but if Apple continues to support the basic codecs, it should be good for the recent future.

Felder71

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2008
Unless the improved decoding capabilities is a "bug" that Apple never wanted released.

Which is why I'll stick with Universal. Also I have older iPod Touchs that my wife and son use on a trip and they'll need Universal to get the movies working.

grozier

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2008
I also noticed this after upgrading to iTunes 9. I found it very odd that none of the movie files were greyed-out when synching my 3GS, including my 720 HD videos. I just figured that it no longer showed anything as greyed-out, even those which it could not copy. However I have not tried copying the HD rips to my phone yet.

I recall a story on the main page a few weeks ago about someone successfully playing HD content on the iPhone 3GS, although it was not copied using iTunes.

Shuttleworth

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2008
UK
I just tried a TV show converted for the :apple:TV by my Elgato EyeTV software, it didn't work on my 8Gb iPod Touch 2G :(

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Are you all running 3.1? Because with iTunes 9 and 3.0 on my 3GS I can't get anything other than my movies encoded using iPhone-specific settings to copy over.

"Some of the videos in your iTunes library were not copied to the iPhone because they cannot be played on this iPhone."

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Are you all running 3.1? Because with iTunes 9 and 3.0 on my 3GS I can't get anything other than my movies encoded using iPhone-specific settings to copy over.

"Some of the videos in your iTunes library were not copied to the iPhone because they cannot be played on this iPhone."

Yes, this was added in 3.1.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Odd, I believe at least one dev was unable to get it to work with a iPhone 3G or Touch 2G.

That was me. AppleTV encodes do "not" transfer to my iPod Touch 2G. I cannot imagine they would work on a 1G which has a weaker processor.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I just tried a 720p movie and it erred out and said it was not playable. I am moving one that was previously encoded using the AppleTV preset though and it is transferring.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
correct, though the new iPhone/ iPod Touch can play the bframes etc. in the atv preset in hb, they still cannot play 720p

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Good news, but I am pretty satisfied with Handbrake's universal setting and will probably stick with 720x480 for widescreen and 640x480 for full-screen content. For dramas (or films without lots of action or effects), I can't tell a difference between the upscaled DVD and even the iPod Legacy preset. Maybe if I'm actively looking for discrepancies, but I don't usually do that.

However, this is great to know for encoding high-def content. I've been encoding what few bits I have into a HD and SD version.

Cuthbert

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
Holy Crap!! This is by far the best thing about the 3.1 OS for me. I had started to convert a couple of my movies (apple tv preset from handbrake) for my iphone. The process was long - hours for each movie. I have have 300+ movies, so I had given up on this as a lost cause.

Now I find out that I no longer have to convert my movies. PERFECT! This is exactly why I held out for the 32 gig iphone. No need to condense my larger files now!

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Tried to transfer a move encoded using handbrake "AppleTV" preset onto my iPhone3G... Didn't work. Interestingly though none of my movies are greyed out anymore... they all look able to be transferred but they don't.
Bit of a bummer, although it's good to know it works on the 3GS. I had planned to change all my ATV encodes to universal but i won't bother now. I plan to get a 3GS either at xmas (when my contract expires) or hang on until July and get the next generation... Either way, this gives me something else to look forward to on the new iphone :)

mrpinkfloyd

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2009
25% success rate so far

All of my movies that weren't purchased from iTunes were ripped from DVD collection using the Apple TV preset (H.264 codec) and when I tried to sync 4 of them to my iPhone 3GS, only 1 of them synced. The odd thing is that the file that synced had dimensions or bitrates higher than the one that did sync. :confused:

Synced:
I Love You, Man- Size: 2.25 GB, Total Bit Rate: 3058 kbps, Bit Rate: 448 kbps, Video Dimensions: 836x480

Did Not Sync:
Howard Stern - Private Parts- Size: 2.05 GB, Total Bit Rate: 2676 kbps, Bit Rate: 159 kbps, Video Dimensions: 565x352
Superbad- Size: 2.56 GB, Total Bit Rate: 3080 kbps, Bit Rate: 127 kbps, Video Dimensions: 853x462
The Foot Fist Way- Size: 1.78 GB, Total Bit Rate: 3060 kbps, Bit Rate: 127 kbps, Video Dimensions: 853x400

Any ideas as to why one would work and the others wouldn't??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.