Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aj350z

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
I just got a new Blu-Ray disc in today and found out it was a BD+ disc. First time i heard of one and even saw one. I just tried using MakeMKV but it failed to open the disc. Unfortunately i have an internal Blu-Ray reader and no PC at hand. Is there any way to rip this disc or is it the waiting game for MakeMVK??? Any suggestions??? :confused:

aj350z

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
If i buy Parrells and AnyDVD HD would that combo work??? With Parrells would i still have to buy a Windows XP disc to install correctly?

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Why not? I have USB attached BD drive, which works fine with Parallels. Why wouldn't it work with SATA drives?

I think (not being facetious here) you answered your own question. SATA connection is not the same as USB. Parallels can handle USB with most external drives. Only time where direct SATA access is of importance is if you have a Mac Pro and that is another story unto itself to get that working.

Fusion can handle the internal SATA unused ports on the Mac Pro motherboard.
Parallels doesn't see them at all. I have gone through this myself.

If you are using a Mac Mini or iMac, your only choices are external Blu Ray units "as is" via USB. I happen to prefer Fusion for this purpose as throughput seems a bit better and less quirky. Others may disagree.

Just be aware, that some blu ray units don't work properly or are flakey and others are good performers. If anything do NOT pay extra for "blu ray for Mac" promoted items. Often they are rebranded regular units with a higher price and, as being OEM of sorts, often are not firmware upgradeable.

- Phrehdd

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
If you are using a Mac Mini or iMac, your only choices are external Blu Ray units "as is" via USB.

I am not so sure about that - have you seen this?

Granted, this mentions nothing about Parallels, but perhaps the SATA port on the Mini mobo don't have the same issue as unused MacPro ports everyone seems to be talking about. I have a slim BD drive on order for my Mini, I guess I will find out soon enough.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
If anyone still interested.. I installed Panasonic UJ135A BD/DVD drive into my 2009 Mini. The drive replaced internal SATA SuperDrive that the Mini came with.

I haven't done much testing with BD disks yet, but so far the drive works fine both in MacOS, and in Parallels XP virtual machine.

Screen shots below.

Attachments

• BD-mac-scrcap.jpg
    BD-mac-scrcap.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 126
  • BD-xp-scrcap.jpg
    BD-xp-scrcap.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 86
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.