Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
According to AppleInsider, pre-production models of the liquid-cooled dual processor 2.5 Ghz Power Mac G5 are running Mac OS X 10.3.5. While encountering key-command and 'artifacting' glitches, the OS is expected to ship in the new units, possibly prior to its public release.

Sources at WWDC said that the 2.5 Ghz units on display at the show were indeed running a pre-release version of 10.3.5. According to AI's sources, this update should be the most significant to the OS since the release of Panther.

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
sounds cool... i wonder what these new features are...

Edit: thats funny about konfabulator... not really fair to the peeps who make it. first they copy it, and then they shut it down..

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
10.3.5 makes perfect sence because the liquid-cooling version clearly has such hardware inside that has never before been used in systems running osx. that is a no-brainer. but if someone claims the 10.3.5 os version will be the most significant upgrade since panther intro, there must be some hard evidence.

in protools use the 10.3.4 version has been the most significant upgrade ever - together with protools 6.4 that combination makes the most responsive protools environment on osx so far. one could claim that protools is now as fast in osx than it ever was in pre-osx era.

if 10.3.5 is more than just extra drivers required for new hardware (as in 10.2.7 jaguar version), i'm interested in hearing what is going on and which areas will be improved. if that claim is really true, that will be huge. i am however not holding my breath and will keep on using the current version until enough people praise the dot-five.

Rick65000

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2003
--

According to AI's sources, this update should be the most significant to the OS since the release of Panther.

Duh.

Soire

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2004
Garden State
Well that sounds great.

But all it does to me is want my 2.5 to be delivered SOONER! :rolleyes:

"When lord, when's it gonna be my time?"

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2003
virus1 said:
sounds cool... i wonder what these new features are...

Edit: thats funny about konfabulator... not really fair to the peeps who make it. first they copy it, and then they shut it down..

The original post was a joke I believe..

coumerelli

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2003
state of confusion.
Right now, all I need is support for my new Motorola v600 phone. I can connect and use 3rd party apps, but NOTHING of Apple's works with it as far as I can tell - BT file exchange, iSync, AB, nothing....

c'mon 10.3.5 *crosses fingers*

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Macrumors said:
According to AppleInsider, pre-production models of the liquid-cooled dual processor 2.5 Ghz Power Mac G5 are running Mac OS X 10.3.5. While encountering key-command and 'artifacting' glitches, the OS is expected to ship in the new units, possibly prior to its public release.

Sources at WWDC said that the 2.5 Ghz units on display at the show were indeed running a pre-release version of 10.3.5. According to AI's sources, this update should be the most significant to the OS since the release of Panther.

Nothing short of admission of, and the repair of the firewire bugs:

http://www.macmaps.com/firewirebug.html

Would be most significant. Otherwise the sources are merely blowing hot air.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Konfabulator joke

Before too many dozens of people chime in about the Konfabulator thing... Konfabulator was co-created by an ex-Apple employee, and it seems there may be a grudge against Apple there that goes back much farther than Konfab. Konfab IS a cool product and I wish it well--Tiger doesn't do quite the same thing anyway, and there's still the Windows and pre-Tiger X market to keep them going. BUT Apple has NOT stolen a thing:
http://daringfireball.net/2004/06/dashboard_vs_konfabulator
(And in fact, the latest Konfabulator copies Apple's Exposé.)

BTW, don't get your hopes up about 10.3.5... this is a free point update, maybe the biggest in a while if that rumor's true, and I look forward to it. But it won't be a fraction of Tiger :)

I'm betting on a new Safari, not with RSS yet but with the ability save web archives. (As mentioned in other pre-Tiger rumors.)

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
coumerelli said:
Right now, all I need is support for my new Motorola v600 phone. I can connect and use 3rd party apps, but NOTHING of Apple's works with it as far as I can tell - BT file exchange, iSync, AB, nothing....

c'mon 10.3.5 *crosses fingers*

Isn't that more of a problem with the V600 than iSync? I thought moto used some software that couldn't work with iSync.

g4cubed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2004
stoid said:
10.3.5 has a tiny little hack that keeps Konfabulator from running! BWAHAHA!!!

That's good. :D

Yea, it'll be kind of nice to have the update earlier than most people. But I'm not sure if I'd want it running 10.3.5 if it does contain noticeable key-command and “artifacting” glitches. It would kinda suck if my new G5, which I sold a kindey to get, ran like sh*t :mad: . I would hope to just fire it up and start blazing thru things. Hopefully they'll have them worked out by time mine comes in :D

g.money

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Toronto, Canada
on behalf of all iBook500 owners...

maybe apple will get off their ass and fix the stupid bug in .3.4 that de-activates iBook500's internal mic. From what I gather in the apple discussion forums, the problem is only limited to this model.

Of course, being nearly 3 years old, I guess my beautiful icebook is considered irrelevant to apple (can you tell I'm a little frustrated? :( )

leenoble

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2003
If the new Macs are already running a pre-release 10.3.5 then wouldn't that make it more appropriate for the next release to be 10.3.6 otherwise there'd be two 10.3.5s out there and those running the 10.3.5 on a new Mac would find it odd to update to 10.3.5 .

READ MY LIPS: NO NEW FEATURES. Sheesh will you Home-on-iPod people SHUT UP!

nmk

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2004
Why would those runnning 10.3.5 on a new mac upgrade to 10.3.5 :confused:. 10.3.5 will be released through software update for users of older Macs whereas new Macs will already have it installed. Don't see where the confusion is.

morkintosh

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2003
virus1 said:

I'm pretty sure he was joking about that whole konfabulator thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.