Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 8, 2004, 02:09 PM   #1
Xenious
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Texas, USA
iSight w magnetic stand shipping?

Does anyone know if the new iSight package mentioned on the pages with the new displays is shipping yet?

"Magnetic Personality
To attach your iSight to the new displays, Apple now offers a magnetic mounting solution. This stand is available in new iSight boxes this summer, and included in the iSight Accessory Kit."
Xenious is offline   0
Old Jul 8, 2004, 02:10 PM   #2
osprey76
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Vernal, UT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenious
Does anyone know if the new iSight package mentioned on the pages with the new displays is shipping yet?

"Magnetic Personality
To attach your iSight to the new displays, Apple now offers a magnetic mounting solution. This stand is available in new iSight boxes this summer, and included in the iSight Accessory Kit."
I wonder if I can't mount it to my hard drive brackets...
osprey76 is offline   0
Old Jul 8, 2004, 05:31 PM   #3
Mord
macrumors G4
 
Mord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Old York
but aluminium is not magnetic theres probably some steel in there for it to attract to though
Mord is offline   0
Old Jul 8, 2004, 06:02 PM   #4
pdpfilms
macrumors 68020
 
pdpfilms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Vermontana
?>":>#@":"HARD DRIVE FAILURE""}?{?

Isn't it a little dangerous having a magnet so close to a display? Let alone a computer? Or are LCDs less vulnerable to magnetic waves then are CRTs... fill me in.
-ij
pdpfilms is offline   0
Old Jul 8, 2004, 06:31 PM   #5
iJon
macrumors 604
 
iJon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdpfilms
Isn't it a little dangerous having a magnet so close to a display? Let alone a computer? Or are LCDs less vulnerable to magnetic waves then are CRTs... fill me in.
-ij
i want to think thats only with crts, but i could be wrong.

iJon
iJon is offline   0
Old Jul 8, 2004, 09:54 PM   #6
osprey76
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Vernal, UT
There is bound to be some limit of magnetic field resistance in a LCD. In a CRT, magnetic fields are used to guide the electron beam that sweeps up and down and left to right. Hence, the Cathode-Ray Tube. Anyway, this is a primary factor why magnets are bad to have around. Not sure what the tolerances are with an LCD, but those displays do not have any electron beams, though they do use electricity.
osprey76 is offline   0
Old Jul 8, 2004, 09:59 PM   #7
FuzzyBallz
macrumors 6502a
 
FuzzyBallz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Home of Al-Qaida
I could test out if magnet will affect a LCD screen, 'cause I got a powerful magnet pulled from a hard drive and a couple of LCDs, Sony and Apple Cinema... but it's gonna hurt like hell if I mess them up... Somebody else do it.
__________________
-165... ah crap, I lost count.
Mac: G5 Dual 2.0G / 1.5GB / GF FX5200 / 20" Cinema Display
PC: AMD Barton 2.2G / 1GB / GF Ti4200 / Dual 18" Sony LCD
FuzzyBallz is offline   0
Old Jul 8, 2004, 10:11 PM   #8
Dr. Dastardly
macrumors 65816
 
Dr. Dastardly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: I live in a giant bucket!
If they ship it with the Isight, wouldn't you think they would have tested it?
Dr. Dastardly is offline   0
Old Jul 8, 2004, 11:40 PM   #9
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
ok so this will stick to the aluminum displays, but would it work with a powerbook as well? now that would be better than the current stand/holder that comes with the iSight
__________________
dim my eyes on the waves of confessions...
PlaceofDis is offline   0
Old Jul 9, 2004, 04:43 AM   #10
Mord
macrumors G4
 
Mord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Old York
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyBallz
I could test out if magnet will affect a LCD screen, 'cause I got a powerful magnet pulled from a hard drive and a couple of LCDs, Sony and Apple Cinema... but it's gonna hurt like hell if I mess them up... Somebody else do it.

Ok i just tested with a magnet pulled from an old scsi drive and it dosent do anything (man these things are strong)

Last edited by Mord; Jul 9, 2004 at 04:46 AM.
Mord is offline   0
Old Jul 9, 2004, 04:45 AM   #11
Mord
macrumors G4
 
Mord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Old York
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaceofDis
ok so this will stick to the aluminum displays, but would it work with a powerbook as well? now that would be better than the current stand/holder that comes with the iSight
all depends on weather there is iron in any form inside the lid and you can test this with any magnet
Mord is offline   0
Old Jul 9, 2004, 08:33 PM   #12
Xenious
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Texas, USA
But the real question is, is it shipping?? ehhe
Xenious is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iSight stand! eyoungren PowerPC Macs 11 Dec 27, 2013 06:38 PM
iPad: Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover Magnetic Stand New? iphone5att64 iPad Accessories 0 Nov 27, 2012 10:01 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC