Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Sep 16, 2009, 09:07 PM   #1
celticpride678

What is the BEST Wireless N Router on the market today?

I am in the market for a new router. I have a Linksys one now and in one word, it sucks!

I am looking for the BEST wireless N router under $200 US. Apple or other brands. PC and Mac compatible; Preferably Simultaneous Dual-band, NOT LINKSYS; fast (speed wise) and finally, has great range.

Thanks a lot.

A 5 hour tech support phone call with Linksys and still no resolution (I fixed it myself earlier today) really set me over the top.

Once again, thanks for your help!
celticpride678 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 09:33 PM   #2
DeusInvictus7
macrumors 68020

Well as far I know, the Airport Extreme is the best on as far as price and features go. The other ones I've seen, at least here in Canada, that can do all the same things as the AEBS are more expensive...
Old Sep 16, 2009, 09:36 PM   #3
xIGmanIx
macrumors 6502a

for the most part my i have had good success with linksys routers myself. i have a WRT300N and i couldn't complain. Other than having to power cycle it maybe once a month, rock solid and allows me to lock down my network to my liking. Sometimes just flashing the firmware (downloading newest version) and reloading your configs does the trick for me.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:05 PM   #4
evillageprowler
macrumors regular

I've had bad experiences before with frequent resets with various routers, including every Linksys model produced after they got bought out by Cisco. No firmware upgrades worked. I also used a D-Link WiFi-G router (forget the model) that worked without issue. I upgraded a while ago to the D-Link Extreme (the one with three antennas) and have had very few incidents of resets.

I recently bought the 1TB TC that I use as a wired bridge (and TM, of course). I can never use the AEBS or TC as my main router because I need something that supports DDNS on the wan side.

So, my choice is the D-Link Extreme due to its DDNS feature; otherwise, I like my TC (or AEBS) because it can do so much more: USB hub, TM, NAS. Also is easy to configure using Airport Utility.

HTH,

EVP
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:16 PM   #5
MacMini2009
macrumors 68000

I can say the newest Airport Extreme is the best router I have ever owned. I use to have a Netgear router until it broke down, so I went out and bought an Airport Extreme. Wow! I love the guest network, and the Bonjour software. I highly recommend the Apple Airport Extreme.

Once you go Mac, you will never go back.
MacMini2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:23 PM   #6
aleni
macrumors 68000

got dlink dir-655 a year ago. it's been a great router. working good till today.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:32 PM   #7
evillageprowler
macrumors regular

More on the TC (and AEBS): I am having a bit of hard time accessing the attached NAS drive via NFS on my Linux box. I'm optimistic that it is multi-protocol enough that I can access it on Windows or Linux (via CIFS).

EVP
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:48 PM   #8
neosar
macrumors newbie

I second the D-Link DIR-655. I have the Rev A model, and it works great. I had a Linksys and an Airport Extreme. They do not compare to this router. I got 50mbit Comcast internet, and needed to upgrade my wireless to accommodate it, the BEST I could get from the Airport was around 35mbps, the linksys got me about 22. I get real-world 100mbit throughput (tested with a commandline utility) on the D-Link. Nevermind the fact that this thing has features galore. Definitely recommend to ANYONE looking for a good N router.
neosar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:55 PM   #9
Bill Gates
macrumors 68020

Not Linksys? That's too bad; I was going to recommend one of their products. All the consumer-grade products from Linksys, Netgear, etc. are backed with poor tech support from "Bob" and "Mark" over in New Delhi. If you won't go with Linksys then I would recommend the Airport Extreme. It seems to be well-received and offers everything you're looking for. Comparable routers go for similar prices from other makes so you wouldn't be saving much money by shopping for another make of router.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:04 PM   #10
azboricua
macrumors 6502a

Best thing you could do in my personal opinion, is stay away from linksys.

High failure rates, BUT that is just MY experience.
azboricua is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:31 PM   #11
HBOC
macrumors 68020

i have the wrt160N V2 and i like it.

after a few people here have said something about the airport express, That got me looking at it. It seems like a good router, however my problem is that my girlfriend has a dell PC and i have my xbox 360, and not enough ports on the express. I guess i could get her a wifi usb stick for her PC and then i would be good. If the airport is faster than the 160NV2 i would look into it for sure! I wouldn't get the extreme over what i have now, though, since i just bought this router in February, since my wrt54G8 snapped into 10 pieces. I don't know how that happened
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:49 PM   #12
creon
macrumors 6502

Stay away from Belkin.

I have been looking in getting a Time Capsule and the added plus of having airport with it.

Does TC work well as a router, too?
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:55 PM   #13
ravenvii
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by creon View Post
Does TC work well as a router, too?
The Time Capsule *is* a router, but with a harddrive built in. It truly is awesome

But for under $200, I'd definitely recommend the AirPort Extreme. I had two; the old 802.11g white flying saucer one; bought in 2003, still running my family's home's wireless network to this day, rock solid. My second was the new AirPort Extreme (the model prior to the giganet one), it was rock solid for the year that I used it. I sold it and upgraded to a Time Capsule. It's been awesome since - I bought it when it first came out, so it's been up for about 1 1/2 years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evillageprowler View Post
More on the TC (and AEBS): I am having a bit of hard time accessing the attached NAS drive via NFS on my Linux box. I'm optimistic that it is multi-protocol enough that I can access it on Windows or Linux (via CIFS).

EVP
The drive is accessible via SMB. I've not tried to access it with Windows or Linux (no point in accessing my Time Machine files, lol) but I'm sure it will work.

EDIT: Apparently, it's "really really flaky", as a guy in an Apple Support message board thread puts it. Check out the thread, it might help you out.

Last edited by ravenvii; Sep 17, 2009 at 12:02 AM.
ravenvii is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice