Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
Bought the MBP 13" two weeks ago and I am having the following (see attached) issue occasionally when opening a new website or a quicktime vid. Although it doesn't crash or exit anything... its kinda annoying. I didnt have this issue in the previous Unibody Macbook that I had so was wondering whether its to do with the graphics card possibly?

All comments/suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-09-17 at 21.40.37.png
    Screen shot 2009-09-17 at 21.40.37.png
    192.5 KB · Views: 210

Griff110

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2008
Bought the MBP 13" two weeks ago and I am having the following (see attached) issue occasionally when opening a new website or a quicktime vid. Although it doesn't crash or exit anything... its kinda annoying. I didnt have this issue in the previous Unibody Macbook that I had so was wondering whether its to do with the graphics card possibly?

I would run it back to apple, mine is about a month old and I have never seen that before :eek: are you running snow leopard?

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA

I have never seen this in my past couple months of using my 13" MBP :confused: I wonder how many people it is affecting. Nontheless, I think this would warrant a visit to the store if it is an annoyance.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
My Top Sites in Safari flashes gibberish just like that for half a second or so occasionally since upgrading to 10.6.1. Never had a problem in 10.6.0 or Leopard so I'm putting it down as a software issue.

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
Cheers - will continue to monitor this.

As I said, its nothing major - however, if its a hardware issue - I would rather get it sorted sooner than later.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
I've noticed this on my 13" MBP running Snow Leopard when I would watch YouTube videos in High Quality. It's only for a split second until the video loads.

rwd hero

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Baltimore, Maryland
I have a new 13" MBP with 2.53 GHz, 4 gigs of memory, and a 500 gig HD. I ripped a few movies using handbreak and noticed when i fast forward by dragging the marker forward i see this. I figured it was a handbreak issue. Defiantly going to monitor this thread to see what comes of it.

On a side note, I have noticed a lot of complaints and bad experiences with the new UMBP's. I absolutely love mine and will never go back to a PC. I believe I made the right choice going with the 13" because portability was an issue with my last laptop (HP pavilion DV6000), it was just a little too bulky. I just wanted to throw that out there because i don't want anyone getting the wrong impression from my problem.

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
lol

Glad i'm not the only one with this problem.

As I said - i'm not worried as it only happens for a second or two... but I don't want it to be even worse if I don't do anything about it.

sab150

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2009
lol

Glad i'm not the only one with this problem.

As I said - i'm not worried as it only happens for a second or two... but I don't want it to be even worse if I don't do anything about it.

iv had this before aswell.. on both macbook pros just figured its normal quirk of macs/.. like the ****** scrolling on webpages

macgirl89

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2009
New York, USA
I've noticed this on my 13" MBP running Snow Leopard when I would watch YouTube videos in High Quality. It's only for a split second until the video loads.

I've noticed this too, but I think that's like that for EVERY computer. Even on my HP laptop, it shows that weird green screen just for a second before the HD version of the YouTube video loads. I think that's normal. But it shouldn't be happening with Quicktime...

shambo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2009

Looks like GPU my friend. :( I know it's not much use to you now but if you'd bought the 15" you could've fallen back on the spare one.

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
Will be booking a genius bar appointment tomorrow - its not stopped and would get it checked out incase it gets worse.

Will keep you's posted.

dlo604

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2009
Vancouver
I've noticed this too, but I think that's like that for EVERY computer. Even on my HP laptop, it shows that weird green screen just for a second before the HD version of the YouTube video loads. I think that's normal. But it shouldn't be happening with Quicktime...

Wow you seriously like to kiss Apple's ass a lot I have followed what you have said in other threads and you're like 110% pro Apple. It's not like Apples are perfect you know.

Like every applicaton QT will have it's glitches too.

klee1987

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
Looks like GPU my friend. :( I know it's not much use to you now but if you'd bought the 15" you could've fallen back on the spare one.

Not you again.

Anyway, don't forget not all 15" MBP's have a separate GPU these days. :)

Pau.c

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2009
i get that!!!!!

only when im trying to watch a HD film streaming off a catchup website like BBC iPlayer

otherwise im fine watching youtube etc or low quality movies

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
Just wondering if anyone managed to fix this issue. Still having it and was wondering whether its best to deal with it now or leave it till it possibly gets worse?

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Just wondering if anyone managed to fix this issue. Still having it and was wondering whether its best to deal with it now or leave it till it possibly gets worse?

I stopped having this issue. Not sure if it was from some OS update, updating Flash, or what. But it's gone now. In fact I totally forgot about it until I saw this thread again.

redcrow240

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2008
the screen turning green before the start of a youtube clip isnt from a change in the color space? Have you tried playing a dvd? Perhaps its switching to RGB's color space or the Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr color space. They have different values and some electronics automatically adjust if set to (by user or by default).

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
looks like a flash problem or a safari problem..if the whole screen was green that would be more of a hardware issue

cfitz7111

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
I have gotten it from time to time too, when I open a new tab in Safari and my Top Places are loading for a second. Looks like some kind of bug in the Safari software

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.