Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jul 8, 2004, 09:36 PM   #1
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Liquid Cooling Assembly Lifetime -- your guess?

Don't know much about liquid cooling but do know that Macs last for ages.

Will this process be mechanically sound after 4-5 years or longer?
Blue Velvet is offline   0
Old Jul 8, 2004, 09:54 PM   #2
FuzzyBallz
macrumors 6502a

Liquid cooling has been around for a while in the PC world, Macs have been out of the loop all this time. If Apple uses the self contain sealed type liquid cooling, it shouldn't be different than your liquid pipe type heatsink for CPUs and GPUs. However, most people who uses liquid cooling use the open type water variation, so there's no telling how long the sealed type can last. But what's inside those pipes ain't water.
FuzzyBallz is offline   0
Old Jul 9, 2004, 10:16 AM   #3
dvdh
macrumors 6502

My guess . . . given how reliable cooling systems in fridges and freezers are and that fact the apple system is simpler: I think the cooling system will well outlast the usable lifespan of the computer. IMO apple would not have released it if they were not sure it would last at least 5-7 years without any type of maintenance.
dvdh is offline   0
Old Jul 9, 2004, 11:26 AM   #4
michaelrjohnson
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to michaelrjohnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdh
IMO apple would not have released it if they were not sure it would last at least 5-7 years without any type of maintenance.
I would agree with this. Since liquid-cooling is considered a relatively laborious process, only to be undertaken by true PC Modders, for Apple to institutue it in their computers, they would have to make the system as neat, painless, and maintenance free as possible.
Old Jul 9, 2004, 12:05 PM   #5
rainman::|:|
macrumors 603

Send a message via Yahoo to rainman::|:|
From my admittedly shallow knowledge of historical liquid cooling systems, i would think 20-30 years... I don't think the pump will wear out, since it's not a mechanical pump, and that's often what kills cooling systems. But think of it this way: the liquid cooling system in a window air-conditioner is much more complex, runs more liquid, is two stage, and has more mechanical parts; yet it's not at all uncommon for them to last 15-20+ years.

bottom line: something else will die on the G5s before the cooling system breaks down.

paul
rainman::|:| is offline   0
Old Jul 9, 2004, 01:42 PM   #6
wdlove
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwhannel
From my admittedly shallow knowledge of historical liquid cooling systems, i would think 20-30 years... I don't think the pump will wear out, since it's not a mechanical pump, and that's often what kills cooling systems. But think of it this way: the liquid cooling system in a window air-conditioner is much more complex, runs more liquid, is two stage, and has more mechanical parts; yet it's not at all uncommon for them to last 15-20+ years.

bottom line: something else will die on the G5s before the cooling system breaks down.

paul
Thank you Paul. This certainly gives me more confidence in the purchase of a 2.5 G5. I have always considered Apple to mean quality.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers