Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vivithemage

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
If you charge your phone, and it hits 100$, and basically shows the symbol of fully charged. If you start to use it, I thought it used direct AC power, and not battery, is that correct?

Because, it seems like, when I charge, then it's full and I start to use it will connected to AC power, it drops to 97%-99% and starts charging again. Could it be a faulty iphone? I just got it, a 3Gs 32GB a few days ago.

KAB2010

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2009
Louisiana
I can't give u an exact answer, but I know it's definitely not suppose to lose charge while plugged in an outlet. At all. Just thought I'd reply since no one else is

vivithemage

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
I can't give u an exact answer, but I know it's definitely not suppose to lose charge while plugged in an outlet. At all. Just thought I'd reply since no one else is

That is what I thought, that never happens to my girlfriends 3GS.

sfditty

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
Most of the time when I'm charging my iPhone and it's at 100% charge, that's where it stays. On rare occasions of prolonged, very heavy use, I've seen it drop a percent or two- like when watching lots of youtube videos while all the radios including bluetooth are running. You would think at first glance that if it's "plugged in", it should be using AC power, like with a portable radio with disposable batteries- when it's plugged in, it's getting it's power from the wall. But I think some modern electronics work by having the AC used only for charging the battery, with the battery as the single power source. You generally don't notice this, because it usually charges quicker than it can be used up. Under heavy use, you'll notice minor depletion though. To add support to my semi-educated guess, think about what happens when your iPhone looses all charge. You usually have enough juice left only to display the screen showing that the battery is dead, and the OS won't even boot up till you charge it back to around 10%. If it was relying on AC power alone, it shouldn't matter how much juice is in the battery.

vivithemage

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Most of the time when I'm charging my iPhone and it's at 100% charge, that's where it stays. On rare occasions of prolonged, very heavy use, I've seen it drop a percent or two- like when watching lots of youtube videos while all the radios including bluetooth are running. You would think at first glance that if it's "plugged in", it should be using AC power, like with a portable radio with disposable batteries- when it's plugged in, it's getting it's power from the wall. But I think some modern electronics work by having the AC used only for charging the battery, with the battery as the single power source. You generally don't notice this, because it usually charges quicker than it can be used up. Under heavy use, you'll notice minor depletion though. To add support to my semi-educated guess, think about what happens when your iPhone looses all charge. You usually have enough juice left only to display the screen showing that the battery is dead, and the OS won't even boot up till you charge it back to around 10%. If it was relying on AC power alone, it shouldn't matter how much juice is in the battery.

I think this is where you are wrong. I swear I read somewhere that once the battery is fully charged, it switches to direct AC, and doesn't go through the battery any longer. I am questioning this, because I see this happen on my iphone 3GS a lot more often then it did on my original 3G. Actually, it never dropped from full on my 3G.

If it's a defect, I will just go to apple and have them swap it, I just wanted to make sure I was not the only one that had this happen.

KAB2010

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2009
Louisiana
Yes if it's worth it to you, you may as well get a new phone to clear the issue up. And while ur at it, a new charger as well just to be positive the problem is fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.