Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeb1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2009
What format are the new itunes extras films in and is it going to be possible to do our own from our own dvd's???

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/530.17)

"Extras" don't play on Apple TV. Just on Macs and PCs.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
What format are the new itunes extras films in and is it going to be possible to do our own from our own dvd's???

they are basically mini web sites. which is why they don't work on the Apple TV etc.

as for being able to do it from your own DVDs. sure if you want to do the work. not sure how they work the chapters part but the rest is just links and such.

I suppose if they had a movie you wanted that you didn't have on DVD you could buy it and try to reverse engineer it. I was considering that with the new Wizard of Oz that released today.

eddyg

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2003
Christchurch, New Zealand
If someone does get this working it will most likely be quite unreliable due to the fact that the DVD menus are implemented via instructions to a DVD virtual machine which can then choose to display short movies as menus or static images etc. The VM commands can get quite complex as they set various registers that than have side effects elsewhere (eg. for selecting audio and subtitle tracks).

Any interpreter would need to implement the DVD VM and extract the appropriate info from those commands, if it can figure that out.

Basically it's not trivial, but not impossible either.

What's more realistic is to generate a two tier menu that contained all the titles on the first page and allowed direct chapter selection on the second. Although there would be manual effort required to name the titles for all of the extras.

Cheers, Ed.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
If it was only release in HD, I would have bought it from the iTunes Store. :mad:

If only it had an audio option to dub in Dark Side of the Moon, I would have bought it. :p

/Would really like to have it on a DVD as a separate audio track

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
I think the best way to "create your own" is to abandon the notion of moving menus and for someone to create an app which displays poster art as the main screen (probably uk quad posters which are widescreen) with options for play film, setup (choose audio track and subtitles assuming this can be set on the ATV before playback starts) and extras. In the app, you would simply list the extras you have encoded and link them to the relevant .m4v file. The app could then package everything up (and maybe automatically link to online trailers) into one neat file.

soldier47uaa

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2009
iTunes Extras

If you navigate through the folders user/music/itunes/itunes media/movies/"Name of Movie"/, you will see your iTunes Extras there in two files. example: "X-Men Origins_ Wolverine.m4v"(for the movie), and "iTunes Extras - X-Men Origins_ Wolverine.ite"(for the actual iTunes Extras). So all the Extras are in that file ".ite" The question is, How to make an ".ite" file and how to put the Extras there and link that file to the ".m4v"??? If there's someone that knows this please share your knowledge.

BladesOfSteel

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2009
St. Paul
I tried doing this a year ago - but I couldn't get the movie linked to the .ite file. I followed the instructions and everything, but just couldn't get it right.

It may have been because I deleted some of the "pages" I didn't need - such as the chapters. I only wanted to include some of the special features - trailers, and some of the Star Wars making of documentaries I have.

I left it for dead after that - but it looks like Apple did some minor updating to the How-to guide that LostOnTheLine posted. Maybe I'll give it a go again.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Thanks for mentioning that the documentation has been updated... I'd love to put something together for the LoTR trilogy and all of the extra material from the extended editions. Perhaps I'll dig back into it once the Bluray versions are released later this summer!

EDIT: Spent part of the evening digging into the docs and found it pretty straight forward. Of course, I then remembered that iTunes Extras still are not compatible with the AppleTV v2, and my interest died off again pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.