Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Sep 18, 2009, 05:53 PM   #1
sjdigital
macrumors regular

Answering calls when using bluetooth

If your iPhone is connected to a bluetooth hands free and you answer a call on screen rather than using the bluetooth device, by default it routes the call through the phone rather than through the bluetooth device. As touching the screen to answer a call can be every bit as convenient as operating the answer button on a bluetooth hands free is there any way of modifying the default behaviour to allow a call to be answered onscreen and yet still be routed through the bluetooth device?
sjdigital is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2009, 10:11 PM   #2
stezza333
macrumors regular

If I remember correctly, when using my sennheiser Bluetooth headphones to answer a call the phone gives me 3 options to answer. Bluetooth device, phone or speaker phone.

EDIT: I was wrong :P

Last edited by stezza333; Sep 18, 2009 at 10:28 PM.
stezza333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2009, 01:38 AM   #3
sjdigital
macrumors regular

Yes, what you describe is what happens when you dial out from the phone - I'd like the same options when receiving a call and wonder if it is possible?
Old Sep 19, 2009, 02:13 AM   #4
Darth.Titan
macrumors 68020

It depends on your handsfree system. In my Nissan pickup I can answer using the iPhone and by default the audio is routed through the bluetooth system. The options are on the iPhone screen to choose otherwise.

Different handsfree systems "talk" to the phone differently I guess.
Darth.Titan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2009, 03:27 AM   #5
sjdigital
macrumors regular

Hmmm...that is very interesting. The iPhone manual says "When iPhone is connected to a Bluetooth device, outgoing calls are routed through the device. Incoming calls are routed through the device if you answer using the device and through iPhone if you answer using iPhone". With the Bluetooth device I am using I have the option to route through phone or device when calling which seems to go against what the manual says so it looks as though the options when answering may also be device dependent. Now, how to determine which devices offer this capability?
Old Sep 19, 2009, 03:52 AM   #6
Gav2k
macrumors 601

As above I'm given the option on screen but I tap my hands free on my ear.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting