Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
California
Hey, I know there have been a lot of threads like this lately, but I've been on the fence for a week now. I recently sold a refurb (replacement) 2nd generation touch in anticipation of the 3G as my old one had been having problems. I wouldn't have sold otherwise, but I thought I could get a better iPod without paying too much more assuming Apple offered a 16GB at the $229 price point (hey, not a bad assumption). Unfortunately, there is no 16GB iPod (Apple screwed me over :mad:).

I really don't know what to do now. No camera was a bummer, but I would have bought the 16GB touch anyway. I don't need the space of a 32GB, and I don't want to pay for it. But even though I could live with a replacement mp3 player for a while, I wouldn't have access to my apps for a while; if I got a Zune or another non-iPod PMP, I would lose my non-trivial investment in the appstore.

So, what would you do?

DrawnToLife

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
To be honest, if I were you, I'd go for a 3rd Gen 32GB iPod Touch.
I mean, you have apps already, so you don't need to spend too much money in that department. Even though you might not want to buy the 32GB model, think of it this way. If you were buying a 2G iPod Touch (Before the new ones came out, it would be the same price.), you'd be double the memory for the same price. And you could load more apps, music, videos, notes, contacts, etc.

A N G E L

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2008
San Francisco, CA
Given that there's only 8gb to begin with, then it suddenly jumps over to 32gb at a $300 price, my only suggestion would be to wait a little bit, save up, and purchase a 32gb iPod touch.

I understand the frustration of an 8gb iPod touch: just knowing that you have more than enough music, videos, podcasts, and apps combined to fill that little thing in no time, a 16gb would be much, much better. Unfortunately, now there isn't even 16gb for sale.

Reason I recommend purchasing a 32gb is because, ya never know, after time your media library might expand. This might include your library of podcasts, videos, apps, etc. And since you've probably already invested money into purchasing apps, I suggest the 32gb since 8gb is hardly enough space at all, and the new 32gb will allow you to put everything, you had in your previous iPod touch, into the new one.

And as a huge plus, the new 32gb model runs much faster than the previous iPod touch generations. Huge, huge plus.

The one thing that I really gotta emphasize is that you stick to an iPod touch if you've already invested money into purchasing apps. If you haven't, you can ditch it for another PMP.

Hope I helped =)

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
I would highly recommend the 2G 16GB. If you're not going to fill 32 GB, it's just a big waste of money. Yes, your library will expand but it depends on the rate of expansion. The new features of the 3G aren't worth paying for extra storage you won't use.

PC Killer

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2009
asassad

Get the 2nd Gen 16GB iPod touch. The new one might run a faster but think about it. They say the 3rd gen is faster (thats true, about 2x) But the 2nd is still so fast that you wont even notice the difference. You can get the 2nd Gen 16GB for 200 from the apple store (thats $100 less than the 3rd gen) plus you can jailbreak the 2nd gen, theres a way to get all your apps for absolutely free. email me at canadian_tennis@yahoo.com since people get mad when you talk about that kinda stuff

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
California
To be honest, if I were you, I'd go for a 3rd Gen 32GB iPod Touch. ...you could load more apps, music, videos, notes, contacts, etc.

...my only suggestion would be to wait a little bit, save up, and purchase a 32gb iPod touch.

The new features of the 3G aren't worth paying for extra storage you won't use.

Get the 2nd Gen 16GB iPod touch. ...you can jailbreak the 2nd gen, theres a way to get all your apps for absolutely free. email me at canadian_tennis@yahoo.com since people get mad when you talk about that kinda stuff

No consensus so far I guess. Saving up, I would have the money by November or December; that's too close to a possible update (16GB?) for me to feel comfortable buying a 3G. I guess I could buy one now (it's certainly tempting).

Some numbers to help clarify: with my 16GB, I had filled about 10.5GB of a total 14.72 between apps, games, and videos. My library doesn't grow that quickly, so I can't see myself needing more space before next year - besides, I can just unload an episode or two of Monty Python if I have too :p. I can get a used touch for about $175-180, the new 32GB might be $280. Then, I could always get a nano for a while and sell that off.

As for jailbreaking - been there, done that. I know about cracked apps, I used that to demo games that didn't have a lite version. but I ended up going back to non-JB because I realized the only reason I had jailbroken for (skinning) wasn't worth the trouble.

A N G E L

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2008
San Francisco, CA
Read your post just now, and since 16gb is the majorly preferable amount for ya, then I'll help ya out with that too. Best thing to do is simply purchase another 2G 16gb iPod touch. haha. (shocker) =P

Recommend that you purchase a refurbished one though. Apple refurbished items are just as good as the brand new ones and come with the same warranty. You'd be getting it all but for cheaper.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB531LL/A?mco=Nzk2MjIyOA

There's the link. Turns out it only costs $199.
Seeing as how the current 8gb iPod touch is still the same one, you could really be getting a great deal at double the storage, just the way you want it, and for an even better price.

Considering that the 8gb used to cost $229, now it's $199. The 16gb used to cost $299, and refurbished, it's now selling at $100 less!!

Really great deal.

dwright1974

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2007
UK
Read your post just now, and since 16gb is the majorly preferable amount for ya, then I'll help ya out with that too. Best thing to do is simply purchase another 2G 16gb iPod touch. haha. (shocker) =P

Recommend that you purchase a refurbished one though. Apple refurbished items are just as good as the brand new ones and come with the same warranty. You'd be getting it all but for cheaper.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB531LL/A?mco=Nzk2MjIyOA

There's the link. Turns out it only costs $199.
Seeing as how the current 8gb iPod touch is still the same one, you could really be getting a great deal at double the storage, just the way you want it, and for an even better price.

Considering that the 8gb used to cost $229, now it's $199. The 16gb used to cost $299, and refurbished, it's now selling at $100 less!!

Really great deal.

I agree. I've jusy bought a 16Gb iPod Touch to send to Father Christmas for my daughter.

32Gb would have been too much, (and too costly), and the 16Gb was £10 more from the refurb store. Considering it has the same insides as the 8Gb 3G iPod Touch that is the better deal for me.

Look on the refurb store!

HTH

- D

macsarethebest

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2009
I would definitely go with the 16 gig, and buy it refurbished directly from Apple. It's only $199 and comes with the apple 1 year warranty.

Tieranus

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2009
Go for the 2G. The new 3G has less battery life (minus 6 hours music playback) and even though wireless N and FM radio is on board, those will drain battery life as well when enabled. Reviews have shown that 3G drains battery life faster than 2G also.

My recommendation is get the 2G 16GB, once Apple comes out with a newer model, upgrade to that one as it will most likely have camera, mic, increased battery life, etc.

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
California
I think if I got the 2G I'd get it used; as long as it does everything it should, a few scratches don't matter. Who knows, I could fit my apps and music on an 8GB model (no videos though), those go used for maybe $130.

intensee

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2009
i just purchased a 16 gb 2g for $200 in the refurbs area. To be honest I don't even think they're refurbished. they probably just have the name refurbished because they're the old model and apple still has a big inventory on the 16gb but who knows :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.