Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cunfusedsk8er

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
I have been searching all around the net this morning looking to see if it was possible to put the iphone 3gs 3mp camera into the spot of the iphone 3g 2mp camera. I just want to know if it will physically fit and if it would be able to interface with it?

thanks

i know it is a lengthy process i know it voids my warranty and i know the repercussions of doing it so leave that out in any of the comments i just need answers not smart remarks.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
I see no reason why it wouldn't fit, and you should be able to modify the software to allow you to take video with it.

But I'm not sure you can just buy one of these cameras? I would imagine they are sold in a batch.

But maybe some repair site has them?

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
even if you could replace it, I'm sure that it wouldn't use the 3mp. the device identifies itself as a 3G and is only capable of processing at 2MP, unless you can go in at a hardware level and trick it into thinking your running a 3GS.

Even then, there may be differences in how the camera unit connects to the system board(since it has autofocus and such)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.