Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
i had some difficulty finding any review about the Crumpler School hymn when i was going to buy it. but i ended up buying it anyway since it sounds like the best choice for me for a simple sleeve with medium protection.

so now i've decided to write one. i hope it'll help people see what the school hymn is really like and help in their decision. ok, so enough of this, on with the School hymn.

DSCF6487.jpg

the material is NOT fabric. i thought it was some kind of polyester or ballistic nylon or cordura wrapped around a plastic re-enforcer, but it's not. it's Vinyl. for those who don't know what this means (like me), it's synthetic leather. the sleeve looks like it's made of synthetic leather. it's shiny and might as well be smooth, but there's a very faint leather grain on it, kinda nice actually. but it's not leather. scuffs will show up very easily, but i think it adds character. overall, the surface has a bit of subdued shine to it.

DSCF6499.jpg

DSCF6486.jpg

the fit is very nice. it hugs the PB on all 4 corners snugly, but there is a bit of space left on the sides, i would guess this means there is a bit of cushioning if it's ever hit from the sides. the case is rather stiff, and i can imagine it taking the brunt of most mild bumps. the sides are also lines internally, so the zippers will never ever touch our babies. i've tried tilting, bending it in many different possible natural ways in the bag, and the zipper never touches the powerbook. in my messenger bag, i often put the sleeve open horizontally in its laptop compartment, so i can pull the PB out quickly. even when opened like this, the zippers never seemed to touch the PB.

one brieff note, there is only one zipper pull. so in order to open it, we have to unzip the entire thing. unlike Shinza'a Zeroshock that has two pulls and can be opened at any point we choose. this is why i leave the zipper open in my messenger bag, the compartment holds it closed, but when i need to take the PB out, i don't have to pull the entire sleeve out to unzip it, sicne the zipper rests on the backside.

DSCF6493.jpg

DSCF6494.jpg

DSCF6495.jpg

overall this is a very nice sleeve. i just wished i ordered it in black or silver, since the blue is a bit too bright candy-like for my taste, but it's slowly growing on me. and the black one will look much nicer since the surface is synthetic leather. i imagine it will look much mroe professional. same with the white, except i think it'll be much more prone to dirts and scuffs.

DSCF6496.jpg

DSCF6498.jpg

DSCF6497.jpg

DSCF6488.jpg

DSCF6490.jpg

i bought mine from Jason Wood from Storeos.com and he was very helpful. superfast delivery and great service overall. :)

daxdagr8t

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2004
i have a 12in revc pb and im looking for a sleeve, so this a big help.one question though, how thick is the padding in that sleeve?

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
not much. i would say about half a centimeter on any ddirection. the top and bottom has a bit of thin foam under the plastic cover under the vinyl layer, but other than that, it feels like there's nothing. so any cusioning will have to come from the folds in the vinyl andd that tihn foam and the plastic re-enforcer. it's not the most protective sleeve. it does feel substantial and durable when it's closed with the PB in it thou, and adds about 60% thickness. so that much is in the padding i guess.

if you want the real protective one, i supposed you should look at Tom Bihn's Brain Cell or Monolith. i'm considering buying one to test as well. maybe i'll do that sometime.

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
I love these kind of reviews! I will definatly consider Crumpler now that I actually have a review for it. Is this thing durable enough to be able to throw into a large messanger bag with an SLR if need be and not have to worry about it.

Thanks in advance! ;)

arnette

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2002
Manhattan Beach
I have an orange Wee Bee by Crumpler and it's a rockin' bag. I always get compliments.

Just thought I'd share the awesome power that is Crumpler. carry on.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
the sleeve folds back far enough to allow you to use it while it's in the sleeve. i do that sometimes when i'm too lazy to remove it completely. but yea, the fan at the back is slightly blocked. but when you're using it with the case on, most likely it will be on battery power, and it never gets that hot when it's in batt power.

and i'm not sure how much abuse this case can take for the PB, but when it's in it, it feels solid and subtantial. i feel like i can just oss it in a bag and not worry about it. of course, it's better if you stiill take all precaution and be careful with it. (ie. don't toss around your bag) i just went around downtown today with the PB in my messenger, and it did just fine.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
I've been a silver 17 SH for a month now.

Silver looks very nice with the silver PB.

I find it excellent to handle my PB in and out my STM backpack.

On the train I open it up but leave the PB inside whilst I work and it seems to work fine, not ovrly blocking the vents at the back.

The SH also make a good lap board when working from a chair at conferences, keep the PB up a bit higher and the heat away.

yinyang

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2003
sunny brisbane
excellent review and pictures - now i know what to expect when my silver hymn arrive later during the week. i had looked at several, but thought the crumpler a good blend between neoprene glove and padded sleeve. the blue looks pretty cool - not even sure that was an available colour at iswh.

thanks for the effort :)

ozone

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Great Review

Ryan1524... GREAT review! I was looking into the Crumpler Hymn for a 17" PB and just wrote to Jason as well at StoreOS.

So, it does look like the Hymn offers "hard sided" protection?

By the way, I have a Tom Bihn backpack and a Brain Cell. I bought it for an older laptop 4 years ago. The Brain Cell is nice: the laptop is suspended inside so it's unlikely to contact the ground if the backpack drops. It has stiff plastic sides so there is reasonable hard protection (although not as much as a rigid case). The backpack - the Brain Bag (gotta love those names) - I have is older and it has snaps where the Brain Cell snaps into it: I think the design is changed but it still fits in somehow. The backpack is not as big as, say, the ones you can get from Mountain Equipment Coop, but it's plenty big and very durable. It has angled shoulder straps, compression straps, chest strap, and waist strap to distribute and tighten the load - very critical in my opinion. The Brain Cell I have (sorry, they've since changed the name for my Brain Cell so I don't know what its new corresponding size is exactly) seems to be just about as big as it can be for the backpack, and it holds my wife's 15" TiBook "just right". After fours years of almost everyday use and more than a few flights, the backpack looks about 98% new still - pretty damn good. If you want photos, just let me know.

Cordless_Drill

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2004
Montgomery, Ala., USA
I just received my School Hymn for the 15 and it's wonderful.

Fits perfectly. I mean, PERFECT. Definitely recommended.

It's got excellent protection around the edges, where I need it most. If I drop this box -- even in the sleeve -- I can expect problems. But the SH will keep things in good shape for everything short of a full drop ...

I couple it with an Ogio Metro backpack. The SH fits perfectly into the laptop area of the bag, so it's a flawless set up. I'd recommend this setup for anyone who wants a backpack for their 15...

Whigga Spitta

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2004
Can you say Chi-City??
This is off topic Ryan1524, but could you do a similar review to your cordless Logitech setup (hopefully bluetooth)? I'm still hesitant to buy the MX 900 + Keyboard even after reading nearly everything I could on these forums. Any input (positive or negative) would be very helpful.

manosira

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2004
SOMA - S.F. - Cali
I too ordered my 15 inch Crumpler School Hymn from Jason of Stereos and he also was very helpful to me. I wanted a silver one and the US was sold out so that's how I ended up ordering this one from Canada. Paid a little bit more than I wanted but hopefully it will get here before the end of the week, and judgeing by the pictures posted earlier I will definately be satisfied. :) Anxiously Waiting...

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
manosira said:
I too ordered my 15 inch Crumpler School Hymn from Jason of Stereos and he also was very helpful to me. I wanted a silver one and the US was sold out so that's how I ended up ordering this one from Canada. Paid a little bit more than I wanted but hopefully it will get here before the end of the week, and judgeing by the pictures posted earlier I will definately be satisfied. :) Anxiously Waiting...

Silver is definetly my favourite.

I hope they do a new generation with metallic colours and possibly a harder shell with bettter corner cushioning

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
Abstract said:
Now when people do a search for "Crumpler" in this forum, they'll definitely get a good hit.

I just Googled the Crumpler and got this thread! :)

I have a question that could probably be answered if I dug a little deeper..or dug at all...

Will these Crumplers work with an ibook as well?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.