Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Sep 19, 2009, 07:19 PM   #1
renshao
macrumors newbie

Question New MacBook Pro battery shows 'Replace Now'?

I just received my new MacBook Pro. It's the 2.66 with Anti-Glare screen.
When I started the mac first time, I noticed my battery condition is 'Replace Now'.

Has anyone experienced the same thing before?

I then used the new mac without power cord for about 4 hours(browsing and updating iTunes, no heavy use) before the battery became really low.
renshao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2009, 07:25 PM   #2
omarjk
macrumors regular

I got a new 2.66 today as well and it's battery condition is not 'Replace Now' although that could be a software glitch rather than a problem with your battery. This I stress because from what I have read, four hours can be all we are going to get when brightness is near full and a few basic apps are running simultaneously.

I would call AppleCare in any case, if you haven't already. At least the matte screen means you won't have been staring at a perfect reflection of your worried face all day long.
omarjk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2009, 07:26 PM   #3
tofagerl
macrumors 6502a

It's probably just confused. Try using it on battery power untill it shuts down, then let it rest overnight and charge it to 100 % before turning it on.

It's probably overkill, but that should completely reset it. If you still have the issue after that, call Apple.
tofagerl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2009, 07:28 PM   #4
omarjk
macrumors regular

Further, how many lights are you getting with the battery button on the side of the chassis?
omarjk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2009, 07:38 PM   #5
AppleNewton
macrumors 65816

yeah how many lights do appear on the side? it may or may notbe conclusive.

however, try running the battery down until the system goesinto standy by/shut down.

you can try a SMC reset as well.
built in battery models;
# Connect the power adapter to a working power source.
# On the built-in keyboard, press (left) Shift-Control-Option along with the power button once.
# Wait 5 seconds and press the power button to start the computer.
AppleNewton is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2009, 08:10 PM   #6
renshao
macrumors newbie

Smile

Thanks guys.

When I first got it, I checked the side lights, they were all on.
I've tried resetting System Management Controller, didn't work for me.

I'm still in the middle of my first charge, I'll wait until it's 100% and then leave it on until it's powered off. See how it goes
Old Sep 19, 2009, 08:17 PM   #7
renshao
macrumors newbie

Unhappy

It's so annoying that Apple Support is not working on Sunday, in Australia (maybe it's same across the world), I have to call them on Monday.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 08:23 PM   #8
mackmgg
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by renshao View Post
It's so annoying that Apple Support is not working on Sunday, in Australia (maybe it's same across the world), I have to call them on Monday.
They are in the US, and its a Jewish holiday today. I don't know if they would close for that, but they are normally open 7 days a week here.
mackmgg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2009, 09:24 PM   #9
renshao
macrumors newbie

Unhappy The battery completely died

This is bad.
When I was charging, the battery died completely. It was showing 'Not Charging', and I couldn't get more than 4 side lights on. I then tried to pull off power cord and plug it in again. Guess what, The moment I pulled the cord off this new mac just powered off, the battery is not providing any power.

Then I press the 'start up' button, nothing happened. I put the power code back and started the mac, my time has been reset back to 1969. Now if I shutdown my mac, I'll have to reset the time next time I start it up.

I'll definitely have to send it back. This is definitely not a pleasure experience for my first mac.

Generally, would Apple simply replace the faulty parts of you or do they give you a new mac?
Old Sep 20, 2009, 02:48 AM   #10
Shaduu
macrumors 6502a

Yeah, just take it back to the Apple Store and they should replace the machine there and then.
oftenhover.co.uk
Shaduu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2009, 07:57 AM   #11
renshao
macrumors newbie

I brought it back to apple store, they've ordered a new one for me. Another 2 weeks wait.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 08:04 AM   #12
clyde2801
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by renshao View Post
I brought it back to apple store, they've ordered a new one for me. Another 2 weeks wait.
WHAT?!? Were you outside of the two week return window?!? I would have demanded a new one then and there. Buying a brand new piece of equipment with a defective, necessary, non-user serviceable part and having to wait two weeks when replacements are in the frakkin' store is unacceptable.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 09:20 PM   #13
renshao
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde2801 View Post
WHAT?!? Were you outside of the two week return window?!? I would have demanded a new one then and there. Buying a brand new piece of equipment with a defective, necessary, non-user serviceable part and having to wait two weeks when replacements are in the frakkin' store is unacceptable.
Mine is the anti-glare version, so they don't keep them in stock. I received my new one last Friday!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro