Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Sep 19, 2009, 06:28 PM   #1
Kate.
macrumors regular

Is this the right way to rescue a iMac G5 drive?

I've got a dead, out-of-warranty iMac G5Śmotherboard died. All of important files were backed up but there are still a few things on the drive I'd like to have if I can get them. I have no reason to believe the hard drive is damaged.

From what I can understand, I can get a 3.5" SATA drive enclosure from some place like Newegg, pull the hard drive out of the iMac, and then connect the drive to my Mac mini. And, assuming the drive is sound, I'll be able to pull files off it and use it as a normal external drive.

Does all this sound right? This definitely isn't my expertise and I'd rather confirm it before I try anything.
Kate. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2009, 04:39 PM   #2
rtrt
macrumors 6502a

yep you can do that np.

you'll probably want to get the files you need and then use disc utility to reformat the drive - probably a better option than just deleting everything.

Thats what i would do anyway - although i'm not sure that there's actually any difference from just deleting all of the files and getting an empty disc that way.

Others will no doubt chime in if ive got it wrong
rtrt is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs