Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Well, it's almost here hockey fans: the start of the 2009-2010 NHL regular season!
There was some amazing hockey last season, and it looks like we're in store for some great action this season too.

Lots of questions to answer and interesting story-lines to follow, including:

• Can Sid the Kid and the Penguins repeat as Stanley Cup Champions?
  • Will we see the Red Wings back in the finals again?
  • How will Boston recover from losing one of their best goal scorers? (thanks for Kessel, Chiarelli!)
  • How will the new-look Maple Leafs fair this season? Will they actually make the playoffs for the first time in 5 years?
  • Will Theoren Fleury be able to make the Calgary Flames at 41 years of age and after being out of the league for six years?
  • Will Jason Allison make the Maple Leafs after taking a couple of years off?
  • How will Dany Heatley fit in on the Sharks?
  • Will the Senators be the able to get back on track?
  • What the hell has Bob Gainey done to the Canadiens?
  • Will John Tavares be able to lead the Islanders out of the wilderness?
  • What will happen with the Phoenix Coyotes? Will Balsillie be able to buy them? Will they be playing in Hamilton in the near future? What is Gretzky going to do next?
  • Where will Mats Sundin sign? (Okay...... I don't really want to hear about that story anymore. :D)
  • Will the Oilers be an improved team now that Pat Quinn has taken over as head coach?
  • Will the Capitals take it to the next level? How about the Black Hawks?
  • Will the NHLPA be able to recover from firing Paul Kelly?

So much to talk about! I think it's going to be one hell of a season.

I'm really excited to follow the much improved Maple Leafs. Go Leafs Go!

MasterDev

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
My predictions...

1. Ducks will win the Stanley Cup :D
2. Red Wings will Fail Fail Fail.
3. Jason Alison will also fail.
4. I will most likely get the s*** kicked out of me in Detroit when I see the Ducks play the Red Wings this year.

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
My predictions...

1. Ducks will win the Stanley Cup :D
2. Red Wings will Fail Fail Fail.
3. Jason Alison will also fail.
4. I will most likely get the s*** kicked out of me in Detroit when I see the Ducks play the Red Wings this year.

Responses:

1. The Ducks?!:D Well, I suppose that any guess at this time of year is as accurate as any other guess. I just don't see it though. It remains to be seen how well the Ducks will play this year. They've made a lot of changes. How badly will the loss of Pronger and Beauchemin affect their D?

2. Yeah right they'll fail......

3. Why will Allison fail? What are you basing this on? He's having a good camp considering how rusty he should be from not playing for so long.

4. Just don't make eye contact with anyone at the Joe, and maybe you'll survive........ :D

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
Go Canucks! I sure hope a Canadian teams the cup this year. The fans deserve it. Especially here in Vancouver - GM place has been sold out for like 350 games in a row. How many seasons is that? :)

However, it will be harder than any other season for us because we're facing the longest road trip in NHL history, it will span 14 games and 6 weeks and is a result of the 2010 Winter Olympics. Yikes

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Go Canucks! I sure hope a Canadian teams the cup this year. The fans deserve it. Especially here in Vancouver - GM place has been sold out for like 350 games in a row. How many seasons is that? :)

So I guess that means you'd be happy if the Leafs win the Cup :D

However, it will be harder than any other season for us because we're facing the longest road trip in NHL history, it will span 14 games and 6 weeks and is a result of the 2010 Winter Olympics. Yikes

Yeah, that will definitely be a hard stretch for the 'Nucks.

Oh, I hope that Luongo can live long enough to play out his ridiculously long contract......:D

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
Thanks for setting up the thread Surely, I've been a bit pressed this time around.

We all know the Leafs aren't winning anything this year, so don't get your hopes up :p

My Islanders come back with Tavares and De Hann and add 2 veteran goalies in Roloson and Biron. I think they'll steal some games this, maybe make a run to the playoffs but will fall short. I just have to continue to be patient with them.

Big night for the organization as the Town of Hempstead is having the Lighthouse zoning meetings all day today from 9-9. Gonna go to the night session with my friends to see what's going on.

Wang has allegedly had 8 offers from different cities to move the team and has set an October 3rd deadline to the town to know where they stand. Can't say I blame the man, he continues to lose $20+ million a year on this franchise.

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
^^^^^ Maybe you guys should pick up some more goalies? The Isles can ice a team of all goalies. I guess that's what happens when your GM is an ex-goalie, eh? And maybe Snow should sign them all to 20 year contracts....... :D

The Leafs may not do anything spectacular this season, but they'll finish ahead of the Islanders. :eek:

I'm pumped for the Leafs- Burke has made some interesting changes. The team is bigger and tougher, we have a really good defence, there is competition in goal between Toskala and Gustavsson (once he recovers), and he signed a top notch young scorer in Kessel. Toskala played his best hockey in San Jose when he had to compete with Nabokov for playing time.

Wang is losing $20 million a year, the Coyotes are losing $30 million a year...... craziness. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the NHL allows Wang to do. Will they even allow him to move the team? They sure are giving Moyes a hard time in Phoenix. Instead of allowing him to sell the team to Balsillie and actually make some money back, they've decided to step in and make an offer themselves. The NHL isn't looking too good these days.

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
So whaddaya think, TDD? Can Robbie Schremp turn it around in Long Island? If he can, that's one hell of a waiver pick-up by the Isles!

I guess we'll have to wait and see though: if Pat Quinn didn't see anything in him, that could be a bad sign.

Check out these moves. <-You Tube link.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Kessel was a whining spoiled kid and didn't seem to put the team first. He didn't want to be part of the system.
As talented as he is, I am glad to see him go and like how the B's blocked him out.
Maybe in Toronto he won't have to be bothered in back checking.

What you need to understand is Claude Julien is like Belichick and their system allows them to be successful without key players.
The Bruins had some key injuries on their defence and with their wingers. They had a number of regulars up and down from Providence that still didn't make he team this year. Chiarrelli and Neely are working well together and I think are developing the team and a competitive team. I am looking forward to this season.

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Kessel was a whining spoiled kid and didn't seem to put the team first. He didn't want to be part of the system.
As talented as he is, I am glad to see him go and like how the B's blocked him out.
Maybe in Toronto he won't have to be bothered in back checking.

He's a 21 year old 36 goal scorer. Plenty of time to develop the defensive side of his game. I'm sure that Ron Wilson will be able to coach him into being a better back-checker. This kid has amazing potential, and has the ability to become a 50 goal scorer in the league.

The B's didn't have the cap room to sign him. If they had the room, I think they would have signed him.

That being said, the winner of this trade won't be determined for 5-7 years. We'll have to wait and see how:
  1. Kessel develops, and
  2. Who the Bruins choose with the 2 first rounders and the second rounder they got in return, and how those players develop.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Surely,
Has Kesel hit the ice yet? I haven't seen any stats. Any news on him?

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Surely,
Has Kesel hit the ice yet? I haven't seen any stats. Any news on him?

Kessel had shoulder surgery in the off-season, and isn't expected to be in the line-up until November. He's on the IR right now.

I saw some of the Caps/Bruins game..... the Bruins got the Ovechkin treatment tonight.....

Leafs lost in OT.... boo........ from what I heard (I listened to the game on my iPhone using the Corus Radio app), it was a good game, and the Leafs played well.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
thanks for the tip on Corus.. Any other apps you happen to know of that streams games on the iphone?

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Yeah the islanders season is goign to be long.

I bleed black and gold for the B's but watching O last year he brought so much to the Caps and the overall game I would like to see the Caps in the finals, only to loose to Colorado..

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
MR's resident Blues fan checking in, ready for the puck to drop in Stockholm in under 3 hours. Last year was quite the ride and I expect nothing different from the team this year. Tons of upside, but we'll see how it goes. I wouldn't be completely shocked to see this team take a step backwards. I could see the season going marvelously well, though, if all the pieces fall into place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.