Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
How much RAM do I need to run Plex and playback 1080p MKV's with a bit of headroom? I don't want to buy excessively more than I need.

Thanks!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You will need 4GB to run smoothly.

Completely unfounded and lacking any real evidence of being true.

As stated, Plex runs on 1 GB smoothly and loves 2GB but never really makes use of it. 2GB can work without issue, even using iTunes. I've done all of this but opted for 4GB just to ensure I could make the most of the machine for other tasks if I wanted.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I've run plex with 1,2 and 4gb. It runs fine with 1,2 and 4 depending on if the media is local or on your network. 1gb suffers odd stutters when streamed over a network ( both pre-n and wired).

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You can add more ram but know technically Apple will say no part of the mini is user upgradable. That stops no one though. ;)

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
So, if I buy a base model mini with 1GB, I assume I can just add another 1GB CAS7 stick like this?...

If you're going to open up a Mini - spend a few extra bucks on 4GB. Whether you *need* 4GB or not for Plex is irrelevant. The price difference between 2GB and 4GB is just not worth NOT putting in 4GB.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
If you're going to open up a Mini - spend a few extra bucks on 4GB. Whether you *need* 4GB or not for Plex is irrelevant. The price difference between 2GB and 4GB is just not worth NOT putting in 4GB.

Yeah, I suppose you're right... it's only a $50 difference.

HE15MAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Florida's Treasure Coast
When my 1gb Mini comes in, I think I am just going to buy a 2gb stick and use the extra $50-70 on HD storage :) But another part of me says opening the Mini looks like a PITA so might as well make it 4gb and be done with it :confused:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
When my 1gb Mini comes in, I think I am just going to buy a 2gb stick and use the extra $50-70 on HD storage :) But another part of me says opening the Mini looks like a PITA so might as well make it 4gb and be done with it :confused:

While I wouldn't want to have to do it on a regular basis, opening up and working on a mini (at least the new ones) isn't really that difficult--and I certainly am no tech pro. It's actually good that reading about everyone else's trials and tribulations can tend to make one a bit nervous about doing the work oneself but I'd guess that most mistakes are made because either someone wasn't prepared for what they'd encounter or they rushed.

As long as you take your time, it's actually pretty simple--had my RAM and HDD replaced in about 30 minutes and I was paranoid I was going to screw it up. A single clean/smooth, reasonably stiff putty knife is all you need to get the case apart--watch the videos over at OWC and mimic their technique and it's a piece of cake. Other than watching the videos and taking your time, best advice I have is use a magnetized screwdriver to remove the screws as they are pretty small and in some spots, sunken inside holes.

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
or instead of a mac mini, get a ps3. Actually when it comes to home theater, I go PC for their support of blu-ray. The second apple supports it, I'm there, but it looks like it'll be a while.

It would conflict with Steves interests of course, and he'd just hurl ice cream at you.

Thomss

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2008
lol some the replies you got are mental.
I have the stock 2009 model, ran it for a month with 1GB of ram everything plays fine, inc high bitrate MKV's with DTS.

I put the 2GB kit in that I bought for it, but it certainly wasn't needing it...

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
lol some the replies you got are mental.
I have the stock 2009 model, ran it for a month with 1GB of ram everything plays fine, inc high bitrate MKV's with DTS.

I put the 2GB kit in that I bought for it, but it certainly wasn't needing it...

That's good to know... I might try running it as is (1GB) and see for myself before I get carried away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.