Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Sep 21, 2009, 09:15 AM   #1
ajohnson253
macrumors 68000

DVD-CD drive won't accept discs

I have a 15" unibody Macbook pro
The last time I used my cd drive was a couple months ago to burn a cd.
The cd didn't come out so I followed the steps to eject it and it came out properly. Since then I haven't used the drive until recently. When I went to enter a cd to burn some songs onto it, the drive wouldn't accept any discs. As if there was something in there but there is nothing.
Can someone be so kind to please help with some steps to get my cd/dvd drive to accept discs again please??

Very much appreciated on your guy's help.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 09:26 AM   #2
ortuno2k
macrumors 6502a

I have the same issue with my late '06 MBP. My suggestion is to have Apple look at it if it's still under warranty.
To fix some of the problems, you could try:

a cd/dvd cleaning kit, a can of compressed air (do short bursts of air inside the drive).

This is what I've done in the past and has worked, but I'm afraid my drive may be failing. Have yours looked at before it's totally failed and out of warranty.

Also - is your problem with just cd's? cd-r's? rw-s'? dvd's? Try different types/brands of media.

Good luck.
ortuno2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2009, 09:53 AM   #3
Nykwil
macrumors 6502a

try resetting the smc

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:51 PM   #4
M-Ego
macrumors newbie

Solution: If Macbook does not accept disk

1. Go into Spotlight from the top of your MacBook on the menue bar.
2. And search for "CDs & DVDs" (It's also in the System Preferences)
Click on it and a small CDs & DVDs window will pop up with options of what happens when you insert a disk into the drive
3. By then, try inserting a disk in (while that window is open. This kinda wakes up your drive to accept the disk). It should accept it.
4. If nothing happens, then manually open the program that should be opening when you insert the disk or go to Finder (Eg. if it's an audio disk, then open iTunes)
5. If opening the program still does not activate the drive to start spinning the disk, then close the programs and windows you opened, and repeat step 1-4 and the disk should be spinning and automatically opening the proper program.

Hope that helps!
M-Ego is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro