Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dapness

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
Ughhh, this would have been so much easier if Apple would have updated the freaking Apple TV!!!

OK, so I've owned an Apple TV for a couple years now and have loved it for the most part but would like to have 1080p support and an upgradeable hard drive.

I'm trying the PS3 right now (paid $270 for it with free next day air delivery) but am not much on the user interface (especially after owning an Apple TV) and the wireless streaming with PS3 Media Server is a joke. Man, if Sony only took the time to look into the interface and make it more like the Apple TV that sucker would be the one box to rule them all IMO.

Next option is the Mac Mini. More than I want to spend but from the research I've done it seems pretty soild. From what I'm reading Plex is pretty user friendly and will work nicely with my Harmony Remote (my not so tech saavy wife needs ultimate simplicity).

I'd consider the Popcorn Hour player if I knew the user interface was nice but the jury is still out on that one.

What is the cheapest model I would need to run flawless 1080p video. Any amount of frame drop fires me up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.