Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macs R Us

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Will Apple ever Bring back the Newton?

Its been about 7 years since Apple had the Newtons. When will they bring them back, if ever. Apple basicly started the PDA's and gave it all up when Steve came back in 1997 to cut costs. He help the Apple market then but there are tons of people who want the Newtons Back. The support of the Newton by tons of people makes the Palm stuff look like an old toy. Just think if Apple Made the 2100 and eMate in 1997 what would they have now... Apple had the idea of the Knowledge Navigator many years back but I think they could make somthing colose to the idea. Apple started the iPod a few years back and now look, the iPod is a big hit, its worth paying much more then the Dell one for say (that looks like an iPod rip off). I have many Newtons and they still sell for a lot ($50-$200) so its crazy that Apple will not make another Newton. Since the Newtons sell for that you can tell theres a big demand for a Apple PDA even if its about 7 years old, you can't sell a newer palm for near that... Well we can all hope for the return of the Newton

Macs R Us

macrumors 6502
Original poster
jihad the movie said:
The PDA market is dying, Steve has also said he has no intentions of entering the PDA market.

You might be right Steve always the the Newton as Johns failre. Its hard to let a good Items die when the Newton Rocked for years. But I'll still try to keep it alive. As for Steve well hes been know to suprise us all:). We can hope...

hansen

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2004
Denmark
I want an Apple mobile phone with the most suprising cool design, ease of use and coolness factor out of this world! I'm waiting.... maybe on tuesday?

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Macs R Us said:
May be Apple ownes this site http://www.iphone.org/ it will take you to Apple site... HUM???

i think that was just apple covering their asses in case they changed their minds.

look, the mobile market is overcrowded as hell...and there is very little money in producing straight mobile phones. in order to move them in volume, you need to get together with a good wireless provider or two, someone who will offer deep rebates. apple doesn't seem to like offering rebates from other retailers.
i believe apple could revolutionize the mobile phone styles, but they'd do it in a market where they'd be clawing for attention even more than they do in the computer world. not worth it.

Macs R Us

macrumors 6502
Original poster
question fear said:
i think that was just apple covering their asses in case they changed their minds.

look, the mobile market is overcrowded as hell...and there is very little money in producing straight mobile phones. in order to move them in volume, you need to get together with a good wireless provider or two, someone who will offer deep rebates. apple doesn't seem to like offering rebates from other retailers.
i believe apple could revolutionize the mobile phone styles, but they'd do it in a market where they'd be clawing for attention even more than they do in the computer world. not worth it.

Very ture... I'v been to a gas station that had a half else of just phone junk. It would be neat, but would not sell well. But then again with Steve it might be posable to sell anything:)

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Macs R Us said:
Very ture... I'v been to a gas station that had a half else of just phone junk. It would be neat, but would not sell well. But then again with Steve it might be posable to sell anything:)

here's what i could see-apple perfecting a voice over ip phone and having an eventual hookup to basestations, etc. anything where they could control the phone, the service, etc.
but i think thats a few years down the road.

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
yeah that iPhone.org link is owned by Apple. But, I bet it's probably incase they change their mind and enter the phone market. But if they ever did, I would def. buy the phone.

Registrant*Name:Apple*Computer,*Inc.
Registrant*Organization:Apple*Computer,*Inc.
Registrant*Street1:1*Infinite*Loop
Registrant*Street2:M/S*60-DR
Registrant*City:Cupertino
Registrant*State/Province:CA
Registrant*Postal*Code:95014
Registrant*Country:US

http://whois.sc/iphone.org

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I agree, a phone makes sense. So many phones are like the mp3 players before the iPod. Awkward and strange. Apple could make it play music, play video, take good photos, sync with your address book and calendar, and have Mac OS X mini running on it. Oh, yeah and allow you to receive and send calls.

They probably will just focus on mp3 players instead.

Maxicek

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2004
The mobile markat is converging. There are already various combinations of handheld console, phone, MP3 player and PDA.

It is unlikely that, in say the next 3 years, the iPod will be able to exist as an MP3 player only. Expect to see some convergence with one or all of the above, the logical step would be to incorporate some Newton technology. And hopefully a battery that lasts longer than 8 hours ;) .

Hopefully Apple will stay ahead of the game in the MP3 market and not get overtaken by their competitors, as they have so many times before.

T

thejazzman10

Maxicek said:
The mobile markat is converging. There are already various combinations of handheld console, phone, MP3 player and PDA.

It is unlikely that, in say the next 3 years, the iPod will be able to exist as an MP3 player only. Expect to see some convergence with one or all of the above, the logical step would be to incorporate some Newton technology. And hopefully a battery that lasts longer than 8 hours ;) .

Hopefully Apple will stay ahead of the game in the MP3 market and not get overtaken by their competitors, as they have so many times before.
yeah! and I want it to to the laundry, wash the dishes , and have a GPS :rolleyes: :D

itsumo

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2004
UK
Macs R Us said:
Will Apple ever Bring back the Newton?
No, I would say not - look at Sony for example. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3770787.stm

I agree with the others, one day the iPod will be some sort of hybrid of a phone/PDA/player. You can already slot some programmes into it and there's plenty of room for all the software/contacts/whatever you like on it.

They've already got plenty of recognition in what I reckon is basically the market for that kind of thing. Heck, I'd probably buy one and I already have TWO mobile phones and a PDA.

macsrus

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2004
Terra Firma
Macs R Us said:

Actually....
Apple zealots will buy anything made by Apple...(except for the cube)
if you dont think this is true... I sold a hundred screws that came out of the packaging for an xserve on ebay for a dollar ea...
Now that is CRAZY zealots.

Macs R Us

macrumors 6502
Original poster
macsrus said:
Actually....
Apple zealots will buy anything made by Apple...(except for the cube)
if you dont think this is true... I sold a hundred screws that came out of the packaging for an xserve on ebay for a dollar ea...
Now that is CRAZY zealots.

Very Ture! I had a Apple Accesoir box sold it for $35 and it was just a small box. Mac people will buy any Apple item. from A old A2S1 to a New Mac just becues its cool:)

Macs R Us

macrumors 6502
Original poster

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
i don't deny that some people want newtons. BUT, how many of them were sold? Think of how many would need to be sold....i think the newton is a curiousity like the cube. covetted but never returned to the market officially.

Macs R Us

macrumors 6502
Original poster
question fear said:
i don't deny that some people want newtons. BUT, how many of them were sold? Think of how many would need to be sold....i think the newton is a curiousity like the cube. covetted but never returned to the market officially.

You are right... I just think the newton could be brought back some day, maybe not call a newton but somthing else wtih Newton technloglgy. Well I can wish for now I'll just collect items like the TAM, ANS, Lisa, Mac XL, Newton, New Mac stuff, etc...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.