Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jul 10, 2004, 12:46 PM   #1
Earendil
macrumors 68000

Airport Antena or PCMCIA Ejecct Button?

So, my pretty little Alum 1.25 PB has this little pop out metal piece that extends about half an inch from the body. push once it comes out, push again it hides back into place. This, I assumed, was an airport antenna, as my Dad as a similar push metal rod that extends from the exact same place on his 867 Ti PB.

I've been very happy thinking this was what it was, until I put a PCMCIA card reader in there. Now the button would also serve the purpose of being an eject button for the PCMCIA card?! I can extend the rod out, but as soon as I push it back in it works just like an old car tape ejector. I pus it in, the card pops out.

I went to my Dad with my card, told him the issue. He swears he attached his AP card to the "antenna", but sure enough we put my card in his slot, extended the rod, and pushed it back in and it popped the PCMCIA card right out of his computer.

So, as much as it's nice to be able to remove the card easily, this is pretty annoying. Or maybe it wouldn't be annoying if I knew that what I thought was an extended AP antenna, really isn't?

Can anyone shed some light for me?

Tyler

"ooo! They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer J. Simpson
Earendil is offline   0
Old Jul 10, 2004, 12:48 PM   #2
jsw
Moderator emeritus

It's not the antenna. It's there to eject the PCMCIA cards. The antenna is internal.
Old Jul 10, 2004, 12:55 PM   #3
Earendil
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw
It's not the antenna. It's there to eject the PCMCIA cards. The antenna is internal.
So then it's one of those "I-want-to-believe" illusions that makes me think I get another bar or sometimes two when I extend it?

How about on my dad's Ti Book? He swears he attached the AP card to it when he installed it. When I showed him this he wanted to go and break open his computer again and make sure...

Earendil is offline   0
Old Jul 10, 2004, 01:06 PM   #4
MoparShaha
macrumors 68000

That button only ejects the PCMCIA card. As jsw said, the antenna is internal. If you look at the sides of your lid on your PowerBook, you'll see two plastic things, about 5 cm long, one on each side of the lid. These are the airport antennas.

Your dad's TiBook has the antenna located near the keyboard. The Aluminum PowerBooks have better AirPort reception because the antennas are located higher up in the display.
MoparShaha is offline   0
Old Jul 10, 2004, 01:20 PM   #5
Earendil
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparShaha
That button only ejects the PCMCIA card. As jsw said, the antenna is internal. If you look at the sides of your lid on your PowerBook, you'll see two plastic things, about 5 cm long, one on each side of the lid. These are the airport antennas.

Your dad's TiBook has the antenna located near the keyboard. The Aluminum PowerBooks have better AirPort reception because the antennas are located higher up in the display.

Thanks for the info guys!

Tyler

Earendil is offline   0
Old Jul 10, 2004, 03:40 PM   #6
Jo-Kun
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparShaha
Your dad's TiBook has the antenna located near the keyboard
wrong: on the ti-book you see two 'grooves' one on each side, the antenna's are there... and you can boost the reception a little by pushing them flat to the sides inside the Pb, I did it on my former Ti-Book and it helped a little...
Old Jul 10, 2004, 05:09 PM   #7
7on
macrumors 601

I believe the antennae on the Tibooks varies from model to model. My 1Ghz has them on either siide near the the front.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers