Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moses

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2006
I'm running 10.6.1 and Spotlight has suddenly stopped working. I've tried the usual terminal-based fixes (e.g. re-indexing, etc) but it keeps telling me that "Spotlight Server is disabled" and I can't re-enable it using the normal terminal commands that I've found through google.

Also, my external hard drive has stopped working all of a sudden, firewire connection.

All I've done recently is install World of Warcraft.

I've tried repairing permissions, zapping pram, etc.

Help?

Moses

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2006
I'm running 10.6.1 and Spotlight has suddenly stopped working. I've tried the usual terminal-based fixes (e.g. re-indexing, etc) but it keeps telling me that "Spotlight Server is disabled" and I can't re-enable it using the normal terminal commands that I've found through google.

Also, my external hard drive has stopped working all of a sudden, firewire connection.

All I've done recently is install World of Warcraft.

I've tried repairing permissions, zapping pram, etc.

Help?

Woo, fixed it after some terminal jockeying. I used the following commands:

cd /System/Library/LaunchDaemons
sudo launchctl load -w com.apple.metadata.mds.plist

I know nothing about Unix, but this worked.

Sytheii

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2011

Hello, I am incredibly new to OSX, and my spotlight wasnt functioning correctly either, actually, i could click on it, and nothing appeared, so i followed the troubleshooting steps here

http://osxdaily.com/2007/02/15/spot...otlight-menu-with-these-troubleshooting-tips/

and I tried all of those, and now I actually get 2 notes to popup now, prefrences and search...

so I tried your little terminal code, and now, it spotlight searches, but it only returns image results, which needless to say is not helpful :(

Any idea on how to resolve this issue?

Any help would be appreciated.

perpetualstudy

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2012
spotlight Server Disabled - Help

tried many other suggestions kindly offered by others. none worked, but yours worked like a charm!

many many thanks!
Daniel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.