Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:10 PM   #1
Jason 2000
macrumors newbie

Power Mac G5 New Hard drive

Hi everyone. I have a G5 dual 2.5 and i need to install a new hard drive. My drive is suddenly making a horrible clicking almost grinding sound plus I need more space. My question is: What is the best way to copy everything off of my current drive and make it bootable so i can then swap out my old one so i don't have to rely on it? Thanx in advance.
Jason 2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:42 PM   #2
davidlv
macrumors 65816

Sounds like that HD is going to die, should backup your valuable data fast!
Buy an external HD or a bare drive to install internally, then download Carbon Copy Cloner (Google it), latest beta version is OK for SL.
Install the internal drive, format it for your machine, and run CCC to backup everything. (and hope the original HD doest dive during the stress!)
IMO it is best to get an external drive and copy the essential data first just to be safe.
Good luck.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs