Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community

Old Jul 11, 2004, 01:25 AM   #1
adamfilip
macrumors 6502a

Angry stupid dog!

today my 5 year old 100lb Golden Retriever found a baby live rabit and ate it whole.

I tried for 20 minutes to get him to drop it. using some unkind but safe methods (no abuse i assure you)

but he ended up eating it. all.
I called my local 24hr animal hospital. they said it would pass through him ok. just hopefully the rabbit didnt have any deceases or stuff like that.
my dog got his rabies shot about 2 months ago.

I HATE dogs sometimes..
i hope he doesnt get sick.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 01:35 AM   #2
tech4all
macrumors 68040

That is one disturbing and scary image that comes to my mind.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 02:00 AM   #3
Duff-Man
macrumors 68030

Duff-Man says...it could be worse. My old next door neighbour had one of those "kitty doors" so her big tabby could go out when he wanted. Our homes backed onto a large wooded parkland - great hunting ground for a cat. One night the cat caught a rabbit, dragged it through the kitty-door and ripped it to shreds inside her house. The cat must have been shaking it around or something because there were blood splatters on the walls (not to mention a large mess on the carpets)....looked like a bloody murder scene from Law & Order.....oh yeah!
Old Jul 11, 2004, 03:18 AM   #4
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff-Man
Duff-Man says...it could be worse. My old next door neighbour had one of those "kitty doors" so her big tabby could go out when he wanted. Our homes backed onto a large wooded parkland - great hunting ground for a cat. One night the cat caught a rabbit, dragged it through the kitty-door and ripped it to shreds inside her house. The cat must have been shaking it around or something because there were blood splatters on the walls (not to mention a large mess on the carpets)....looked like a bloody murder scene from Law & Order.....oh yeah!
My g/f's cats (all out door cats) would just leave intact corpses in front of the door (an offering to the alpha if you will). You quickly learned not to go around barefoot after dark if the lights weren't one. *squish, squish*

Lethal
LethalWolfe is offline   0
Old Jul 11, 2004, 10:20 AM   #5
King Cobra

Send a message via AIM to King Cobra
My grandfather once said (something like): "You think dogs are stupid? They got you doing what they want."
King Cobra is offline   0
Old Jul 11, 2004, 10:28 AM   #6
Lz0
macrumors regular

In the Wild

Don't dogs eat rabbit in the wild???
Old Jul 11, 2004, 11:28 AM   #7
mgargan1
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to mgargan1
pretty much anything that can eat rabbits in the wild... eats rabbits in the wild. I guess they taste good
mgargan1 is offline   0
Old Jul 11, 2004, 11:32 AM   #8
medea
macrumors 68030

Well if it was a cat it most likely would have killed it and left it on your bed for you in the morning. My mom's cat do this all the time with birds and such, it's pretty gross.

Also I'd like to add that my dog would never do anything like that, he runs after ducks sometimes but only in play, he's so gentle I can grab food out of his mouth with no problem. Also he's a vegetarian so maybe that helps heh.
Solipsist's Creed:
Zero's company, one's a crowd.

Last edited by medea; Jul 11, 2004 at 11:34 AM.
medea is offline   0
Old Jul 11, 2004, 02:05 PM   #9
jywv8
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by medea
Well if it was a cat it most likely would have killed it and left it on your bed for you in the morning. My mom's cat do this all the time with birds and such, it's pretty gross.
The worst is when my cats bring home animals that aren't quite dead. So you either have to watch the poor animal die or put it out of its misery. Egads.
jywv8 is offline   0
Old Jul 11, 2004, 02:14 PM   #10
mymemory
Banned

Do we have to continue with this thread? Dogs are nice, they do not do that kind of things
mymemory is offline   0
Old Jul 11, 2004, 05:55 PM   #11
themadchemist
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymemory
Do we have to continue with this thread? Dogs are nice, they do not do that kind of things
apparently, they do.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 06:16 PM   #12
Chip NoVaMac
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgargan1
pretty much anything that can eat rabbits in the wild... eats rabbits in the wild. I guess they taste good
I guess they taste like chicken?
Old Jul 11, 2004, 06:23 PM   #13
Neserk

Don't be too hard on your dog. Remember he is just being a dog

I used to live in a townhouse where field mice would occasionally find their ways in. When my housemate was busy removing the mouse I locked the cats in the bedroom with me and lectured them on the sancitiy of life, no matter how small Do you think they listened?
Neserk is offline   0
Old Jul 11, 2004, 09:00 PM   #14
Roger1
macrumors 65816

Heh. My neighbors dog eats cats, birds, 'coons, whatever comes into their yard. My dog on the other hand, just acts like she want to eat 'em. (we call her chicken dog, because she's not very brave)
Old Jul 12, 2004, 04:17 AM   #15
Awimoway
macrumors 65816

Mmm, tender, juicy baby rabbit. So soft. Mmm. Must find get master to let me out in the backyard.

Sorry, I left my computer for a moment. My dog was trying to mess with the keyboard. I hope he didn't bother you.
Awimoway is offline   0
Old Jul 12, 2004, 04:58 AM   #16
virividox
macrumors 68040

Location: Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbara - Boston (ugh hate not knowing where to call home)
ehhe he is a hunting dog
Old Jul 12, 2004, 05:16 AM   #17
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

Its a dog eat dog world.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 07:25 AM   #18
takao
macrumors 68040

Send a message via ICQ to takao
hm our two cats took out the whole mouse population around our house within weeks some years ago...every 3-4 days there was a mouse lying in front of the door... our cats brought them home because they wanted that we see that they are catching mice...

but now they rarly bring home mice..there aren't too many around..they already brought a salamander
but they never bring back birds...perhaps those taste so good that they can't resist to eat them
Old Jul 12, 2004, 06:22 PM   #19
neut
macrumors 68000

when i was a kid two of our dogs brought home 2 halves of a calf carcass home.. one dog was so small she was entirely inside of the calf's body; being a semi-white dog... she was stained a nice orange.

peace.
Uncle Bud
neut is offline   0
Old Jul 12, 2004, 07:46 PM   #20
Dr. Zauis
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Zauis
I have two German Shorthaired Pointers and they catch rabbits all the time. They also go after birds and racoons. They've cought a couple possums too. Sometimes they eat them but most of the time they bring the animals back to me because that's what they're trained to do. Its usually not a big deal but in the summer I try to watch they so they don't pick up crows that died from West Nile Virus.
Dr. Zauis is offline   0
Old Jul 12, 2004, 08:31 PM   #21
ThomasJefferson
macrumors 6502

My Dad and Uncle had a rabbitry in the 70's with over 1000 bunnies at one point. One of the largest in the southeastern US (employed about 30 very happy and exhausted male rabbits.) We slaughtered hundreds and I ate rabbit all through middle/high school. Of course, I avoided eating them whole, prefering to avoid the hair (what a hairball that would make) and they do taste a bit like chicken.

Tip. Apply always-ready rolled newspaper at great rate of speed to top of dogs head. This immediately activates the DRM. (doggie release mechanism) Never fails for me. I have only deployed it three times. Now, doggie responds just to a lowering of my voice.

Now, the girlfriend ...

Last edited by ThomasJefferson; Jul 12, 2004 at 08:33 PM.
ThomasJefferson is offline   0
Old Jul 12, 2004, 08:54 PM   #22
brianellisrules
macrumors regular

The next time your dog has something in its mouth that it won't drop (like a ball or chew-toy), try reaching in and touching the roof of its mouth. It sounds crazy, but it works like a charm.

Another method is to grab it by the scruff on the back of its neck and lift it into the air (just the front legs). It shows dominance and it's how the mother tends to her puppies so it's something the dog recognizes.
brianellisrules is offline   0
Old Jul 12, 2004, 09:52 PM   #23
Neserk

I saw rabbit meat at the grocery store yesterday, in a box thankfully! But EWWWW! I thought only people who hunted ate rabbits!
Neserk is offline   0
Old Jul 12, 2004, 10:22 PM   #24
adamfilip
macrumors 6502a

my dog is about 100lbs and very friendly. he loves to chase rabbits and cats. with cats if they stop he doesnt know what to do. and then just barks and leaves. he just happened to grab this baby rabbit as it was "playing" dead in some grass.

and there was no way i would be able to get my finger in his mouth with that rabbit. he totally had it in there.

i trides the scruff thing.. it didnt work. - he swallowed it whole.. and it was a really hard to watch while you heard the "cracking" .

i have no idea how he swallowed it.. it was big even for a baby.

its been two days now.. no signs of any problems.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 10:27 PM   #25
brianellisrules
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfilip
my dog is about 100lbs and very friendly. he loves to chase rabbits and cats. with cats if they stop he doesnt know what to do. and then just barks and leaves. he just happened to grab this baby rabbit as it was "playing" dead in some grass.

and there was no way i would be able to get my finger in his mouth with that rabbit. he totally had it in there.

i trides the scruff thing.. it didnt work. - he swallowed it whole.. and it was a really hard to watch while you heard the "cracking" .

i have no idea how he swallowed it.. it was big even for a baby.

its been two days now.. no signs of any problems.
Yeah, I hear ya. In that case there was obviously nothing you could do, but I was just offering an alternative to those who hit their dogs with newspapers, etc.
brianellisrules is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community