Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

westo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
Hi all-
please forgive my ignorance. I have read many articles/postings regarding setting up a mini for use as a home theater but honestly some of what I read goes right over my head!

In short, I am purchasing a mac mini to replace my cable box/DVD player. I don't watch a boat-load of live TV, but I have two little munchkins who need their fix of curious george et al. I have been ripping my DVD's and getting other content through dubious methods and got the blessing of the wife for making the move.

Can anyone point to a somewhat simple article/posting that could help me get set up on the basics?

thanks!
West

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
To be honest a simple search here will give you a great deal of info. While you can find a guide, you're likely going to have to read.

Here is the search string and happy reading.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Also look at Plex which is a great media center for OSX. There's tons of info on their site including video tutorials on how to set it up and ingest your library of movies and tv shows.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
If you aren't cancelling your cable service, you should definitely look into adding a TV tuner (maybe something from Elgato) onto your mini so that you could at least get basic live cable stations. Not sure which stations Curious George is on but that might help! You'd also get dvr capabilities that way, I really like having mine :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.