Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Sep 23, 2009, 09:26 AM   #1
photoshow
macrumors newbie

Connecting MacBook to Home Stereo Receiver

I recently bought a macbook and would like to set it up so that itunes and pandora can play through our home stereo - wired or wirelessly, I dont care (I don't own an iphone or itouch). I own an ipod shuffle but between not having playlists and not being able to use pandora, I thought it would be better to hook-up the computer, but I don't want to have to take the computer upstairs everytime I want to listen to music. I don't want to run any more wires, if possible.

The current set-up is:
-a macbook
-a wireless linksys router
-a receiver all major inputs but being about 5-years-old I don't think it has bluetooth or wireless built-in
-every room has cat-5 and cable running to it from the router.

My questions: What is the cheapest way to sufficiently play music (itunes and pandora) to the stereo, either wired or wirelessly? (I realize that I could buy AirPort and 3rd party software, but I'm hoping to spend less than $125, especially with the hardware I already have).

TIA!

Last edited by photoshow; Sep 23, 2009 at 09:38 AM. Reason: add information
photoshow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:35 AM   #2
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshow View Post
I recently bought a macbook and would like to set it up so that itunes and pandora can play through our home stereo - wired or wirelessly, I dont care (I don't own an iphone or itouch). I own an ipod shuffle but between not having playlists and not being able to use pandora, I thought it would be better to hook-up the computer, but I don't want to have to take the computer upstairs everytime I want to listen to music. I don't want to run any more wires, if possible.

The current set-up is:
-a macbook
-a wireless linksys router
-a receiver all major inputs but being about 5-years-old I don't think it has bluetooth or wireless built-in
-every room has cat-5 and cable running to it from the router.

My questions: What is the cheapest way to sufficiently play music (itunes and pandora) to the stereo, either wired or wirelessly? (I realize that I could buy AirPort and 3rd party software, but I'm hoping to spend less than $125, especially with the hardware I already have).

TIA!
If "wired" is OK then all you need is an audio cable. Connect the computer's headphone jack the the AUX input on the stereo. Price under $10

If you want wireless then buy an "Airport Express". you can sometimes find refurbished units on Apple's web site for $70. It will work with your current router. The Express has SPDIF if you can use that is best but line-out works well enough
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio