Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
Hello, all. This is weird... I Was messing around with Konfabulator and Themes for OS X, and I must have installed something that caused a "Netscape" folder to show up in the left side toolbar of the finder. Whenever I try to click on it, the computer won't let me. I've attached a screenshot, so you can see what's up.

I've already deleted all the programs I installed that I think caused this, but obv iously I'm missing something. And I did a search for the term "netscape", but it says "no files found". I'm running Panther 10.3.4 on a dual G5. Any help erasing that folder would be greatly appreciated.

Also, before installing Konfabulator and Shapeshifter, my computer ran perfectly smooth. Since installing those two, I've had three occasions of the computer freezing, and had to do manual shutdowns. I'm not putting any more "hacks" on my Mac from now on. :(

Thanks again.

Attachments

• Picture-1.jpg
    Picture-1.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 131

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
jrv3034 said:
Hello, all. This is weird... I Was messing around with Konfabulator and Themes for OS X, and I must have installed something that caused a "Netscape" folder to show up in the left side toolbar of the finder. Whenever I try to click on it, the computer won't let me. I've attached a screenshot, so you can see what's up.

I've already deleted all the programs I installed that I think caused this, but obv iously I'm missing something. And I did a search for the term "netscape", but it says "no files found". I'm running Panther 10.3.4 on a dual G5. Any help erasing that folder would be greatly appreciated.

Also, before installing Konfabulator and Shapeshifter, my computer ran perfectly smooth. Since installing those two, I've had three occasions of the computer freezing, and had to do manual shutdowns. I'm not putting any more "hacks" on my Mac from now on. :(

Thanks again.
If rdowns' suggestion does not work, try this: remove or move the file ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.sidebarlists.plist, then relaunch the Finder. That should restore your sidebar to the default state.

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
I got it fixed! Thank you rdowns and wrldwzrd89. The first thing I tried was dragging it out of the finder sidebar, but whenever the pointer landed on it, the computer would show the message I posted earlier, and wouldn't let me grab it.

I had to follow wrldwzrd89's suggestion and delete the preferences he mentioned, and then restarted the computer. That seems to have fixed it!

Thanks again! :D

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
jrv3034 said:
I got it fixed! Thank you rdowns and wrldwzrd89. The first thing I tried was dragging it out of the finder sidebar, but whenever the pointer landed on it, the computer would show the message I posted earlier, and wouldn't let me grab it.

I had to follow wrldwzrd89's suggestion and delete the preferences he mentioned, and then restarted the computer. That seems to have fixed it!

Thanks again! :D
You don't need to restart your computer. When I said relaunch the Finder, I meant summon the Force Quit dialog and choose the Finder as the application to force quit, then click the Finder's dock icon to revive it if it doesn't come back on its own.

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
wrldwzrd89 said:
You don't need to restart your computer. When I said relaunch the Finder, I meant summon the Force Quit dialog and choose the Finder as the application to force quit, then click the Finder's dock icon to revive it if it doesn't come back on its own.

You have to forgive my ignorance... I'm a recent switcher from PC land, where any hiccup required a full shutdown/unplug/re-plug/restart to correct. I didn't even know one could turn off the finder!

I should report that since deleting Konfabulator and Shapeshifter, my G5 has been running smooth as silk. I love Macs!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
jrv3034 said:
You have to forgive my ignorance... I'm a recent switcher from PC land, where any hiccup required a full shutdown/unplug/re-plug/restart to correct. I didn't even know one could turn off the finder!

I should report that since deleting Konfabulator and Shapeshifter, my G5 has been running smooth as silk. I love Macs!
You are forgiven. By the way, there are two ways to bring up the Force Quit dialog: pressing the keystroke sequence Command+Option+Escape, and choosing Force Quit... from the Apple menu. Command is the key with the "swirl" and Apple logo - it's the one you use in Mac OS land for keyboard shortcuts (whereas in Windows the Control key serves much the same purpose, as in the infamous "three-finger salute" (Control+Alt+Delete)).

roosterx

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2004
Hey I just want to add, I was about to use the "delete file ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.sidebarlists.plist" trick, but i tried to drag the item off of the sidebar and it worked! At first it didn't, because if i clicked it just right, it would change the focus to the item I was trying to delete. So what I did, was higlight something else, then just left-click drag the offending item.

Thx!
Roosterx

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.