Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nutella

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
Well, I did it! My poor PC (which I was sentimentally attached to) died a sudden premature death, luckily I had backed up most of my important stuff. So I went to the Apple store and got myself a Powerbook 12", which I'm typing on now - miracle of miracles, I was able to turn it on LOL, get my mail and connect to the internet. But other than that, I'm totally lost! I don't know what to press, how to manage my files, etc. Instead of boring everyone on these message boards with a zillion questions, can anyone recommend a good website or book that covers the basics? Also, the Apple store told me they have some sort of intro class - is anyone familiar with this and is it worth getting up early on a Saturday morning for?!
Oh, by the way I got an Ipod too, couldn't resist the price after rebate. Although I have no idea what an ipod is or what to do with it! Yeah, I guess you could say I'm a little bit "behind the curve" as far as technology goes!
p.s. First impressions of the powerbook: Although I'm scared to death of doing something wrong on my brand new computer, I think I'm gonna like it. Except that after about a half hour of typing I think I have 3rd degree burns on my left wrist!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Congratulations!

The Apple Store classes are great for beginners - and you can't beat the price.

For a handy, fun, browse-as-you-have-time guide, I'd suggest:

"Mac OS X Killer Tips", by Scott Kelby

It won't teach you everything, but it is a great guide to various shortcuts.

If you have a bookstore nearby, browse it for Mac books - the best books are always personal to each user. Another fine one is:

"Mac OS X: The Missing Manual", by David Pogue

And, as far as the iPod is concerned: not only is it a great way to listen to music, but you can also copy files to/from your Mac with it, making it a nice little transfer and backup device as well!

Have fun learning, and feel free to post questions!

MetallicPenguin

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2003
NC, USA
Hello, and welcome to the club! Although I have not been to the classes they have, I can say, unless you are really confused when it comes to computers, it should be fairly easy to learn about. At first, I would be really careful about what you do, I had to format the computer several times when I switched after stupid mistakes; simply because I would download Speed Download, then not know how to install it (still don't know how), and try to delete it, mess up safari or whatever browser I had, and this happened twice I think. So stay away from that :p

Also, a good time to plug my new Mac community, http://macsight.com
Not many people yet, and not much conversation, but I thought I would tell you nonetheless. :)

By the way, I purchased the Missing manual, and Killer Tips when I got mine, got some good info out of those. Also, although it is a strange setting, you can probably look up many features of OS X over at http://xvsxp.com (it's a comparison between OS X and XP, but has many useful things in it too.)

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Also if you're new to Mac OS X ... Apple+Option+Esc is the key combination that lets you shut down a program that is frozen. It also lets you restart the Finder (if something beyond just one program is frozen or doesn't display correctly)

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
jsw said:
The Apple Store classes are great for beginners - and you can't beat the price.

(even though I'm not a beginner) I've been thinking of taking one of those classes.

Do you have any more info on them?

Like instead of a beginner, what about an 'average' or a 'expert' class?

Nutella

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
Thanks all, I'll take note of all the advice and bookmark the links (as soon as I can figure out how!). I was always good at figuring out Windows without any training, so this shouldn't be difficult, I just am scared of doing something damaging, plus I really need to be "shown around" so I can take advance of all this system has to offer. I'm sure I'll be back on this board to ask specific questions when the time comes (I already know I'll be confused about airport when I get ready to connect), in the mean time, thanks again, great group of people here! :)
p.s. Okay I was exaggerating about the third degree burns LOL, but it does seem rather toasty after just a short time, hopefully I'll get used to it...

colinp

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2004
Congrats on the purchase, I, too, have a new 12" Pbook. I switched like you, having been completely unfamiliar with OS X. I picked up David Pogue's "OS X: THE MISSING MANUAL," and found it PERFECT for figuring things out. Check out what everyone else reccomends too, but damn I think the Missing Manual will get you caught up to speed pretty well and then you can fly off to other stuff from there. Good luck!

Regarding heat issues, I really don't know what to tell you. Somedays I get my Pbook running hot as hell, other days it's cool as ice. I can offer a few hints/tips, but honestly I dunno how consistent it is in getting the fan to cool down.

Everyone says you can leave your Pbook on for weeks on end without turning it off or annything. Well, I put mine into sleep mode every night (and many times during the day), and after a week I reset (just a plain reset). I did this the first time I was getting tired of the excessive fan + heat, and for whatever reason it managed to ease the fan and heat to be nearly non-existant. At least for another week or so. I did it again and it worked, but it doesn't always work.

I downloaded a program called MacJanitor yesterday that allows me to run the system cleaning tools that the Mac would run if I had it on all night. So I ran all the tools (daily, weekly, and monthly), and later that night I've got heat + fan issues again. I try resetting, doesn't work. I wait till next morning (this morning) to see if it'll be fine, turn it on and soon the fan is going wild again. I reset, just to make sure, and it doesn't do it. So I fix file permissions (Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility), and put it to sleep and it's been running like a dream ever since.

Doesn't make much sense to me either, but whatever works I guess.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
musicpyrite said:
(even though I'm not a beginner) I've been thinking of taking one of those classes.

Do you have any more info on them?

Like instead of a beginner, what about an 'average' or a 'expert' class?

Sorry - just saw this.

I was wrong to say that the classes were for beginners - they're really for people to learn a given subject area. For example, if you look at the schedule for my local Apple Store, it's clear that they provide a wide variety of classes. I'd certainly say that they appeal to anyone who wants to learn that class's subject, and the demonstrators have, in my experience, been good enough to answer most questions but not usually complete gurus - so, the "expert" user might not learn much. But any non-expert will leave with a pretty good grasp of the subject.

Edit: Apple Stores vary in their subject matter. For example, the apple Store south of me has this schedule, which has more "expert"-type stuff.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
colinp said:
... I wait till next morning (this morning) to see if it'll be fine, turn it on and soon the fan is going wild again. ...

Doesn't make much sense to me either, but whatever works I guess.
My fan is a lot more predictable ... it goes crazy if I surf on web-sites with lots of animated flash ads :D

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
jsw said:
Sorry - just saw this.

I was wrong to say that the classes were for beginners - they're really for people to learn a given subject area. For example, if you look at the schedule for my local Apple Store, it's clear that they provide a wide variety of classes. I'd certainly say that they appeal to anyone who wants to learn that class's subject, and the demonstrators have, in my experience, been good enough to answer most questions but not usually complete gurus - so, the "expert" user might not learn much. But any non-expert will leave with a pretty good grasp of the subject.

Edit: Apple Stores vary in their subject matter. For example, the apple Store south of me has this schedule, which has more "expert"-type stuff.

Yea, (about the learning a specific subject area) I went to my sisters school a couple of weeks ago, the IT dude there was giving about 2 dozen people an hour lesson on how to use iPhoto and to make it work with a digital camera. God it was boring. If I was a beginner, I would have though that this was really cool/helpful, but meh..

I've gone to a coupld of 'beginner' classes for Macs, BASIC, Java, UNIX, and algebra, and after about 20 minuts I was board to tears...

And it sucks, I don't know *anybody* that is knolegable about the things I like. So I have no one to ask in person how do you do this, or how do you do that. I have to get all my info from the internet (macrumors, apple.com, ect.) and books.

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Nutella said:
Well, I did it! My poor PC (which I was sentimentally attached to) died a sudden premature death, luckily I had backed up most of my important stuff. So I went to the Apple store and got myself a Powerbook 12", which I'm typing on now - miracle of miracles, I was able to turn it on LOL, get my mail and connect to the internet. But other than that, I'm totally lost! I don't know what to press, how to manage my files, etc.

If you were at all interested, I've found the .Mac Learning Center to be really helpful. (Checks website) And after checking, it appears that anyone can now use it! Wow. (Unless, of course, it's recognized my computer. Hmmm...no, it says "Log In" at the top.) Maybe they're hoping people will see what can be done with .Mac in order to snag more customers. Anyway, I went through the lessons on Panther, iMovie, iPhoto, and iTunes. Very helpful for beginners.

http://www.mac.com/1/learningcenter/

Also, you say that you're afraid of messing something up and that you want to be careful. Honestly, I think that's the exact opposite of what you should do. OS X is pretty forgiving and very, very intuitive. A lot of what I learned came from just playing around. Just check the Trash periodically to see if you deleted any goodies.

Squire

Vanilla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
As a fellow switcher I would recommend: "MAC OS X for Windows Users: A Switcher's Guide" by David Course. It certainly helped me.
Vanilla

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
jsw said:
For example?

UNIX, Java, BASIC, PCs hardware, and especially Macs.

I think it's because I don't spend any time around people, I spend it around computers.

And by knolegable, I meant someone who knows just as much or more than I do.

Edit: oh yea, this excludes the Apple re-seller store.

Nutella

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
Just a followup from my original post -

I've had my powerbook for almost a week now, been trying to explore some of the sources of knowledge listed above. I borrowed from the library David Pogue's "Switching to the Mac" which makes things very clear and simple. I also attended the beginners' seminar at the Apple Store - unfortunately I didn't get anything out of it. Mostly because the book has made me almost an expert already LOL. But also because an hour goes by very quickly when people "waste" time asking irrelevant questions based on their own agenda. I guess I can't ask for much from a free class, but I do wish it were more structured, with no questions allowed (till the end) except to clarify something that was said. Bah humbug :D

...and I'm already singing the praises of Mac and trying to convert everyone I know, I've caught the fever :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.