Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silverstring

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
Had some library troubles with iTunes 9, and decided to do a clean install of not only the program, but of Snow Leopard itself. I was waiting on an iTunes update to come out before I decided to re-load my library in, since I didn't want to risk repeat problems (I've always been one of those bleeding edge-ers, and this is the 1st time I've ever had a problem/held back...guess I learned my lesson). 9.0.1 is out and seems to address the problems I'd been having, but I caught the "start fresh" bug and I want to start over with iTunes. No playlists, play counts, etc need to be saved.

I do have a full backup of my previous system (thanks SuperDuper!), and I'm wondering what the best way to get all of my music back into iTunes is.

-Do I use the Finder to simply drag the contents of my old "iTunes Music" folder into the new "iTunes Media" folder?

-Do I drag the whole folder and drop it onto the iTunes window? (I'm worried this method won't put iPhone apps, ringtones, audiobooks and podcasts in the right place).

-Do I use the import function?

Notes: prior to making the backup, I did upgrade to/select iTunes Media Organization

I did see THIS article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1451 but it says it's old and I wonder if it applies to iTunes 9.

Thanks for any help!

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
I am not positive. I have only backed up to DVD-Rs (15 of them:) ), although i am going to get another external HD soon just for iTunes. I would think That you would go to file/add to library/ and then choose where your back-up is.

When i reformatted a few weeks ago, i just simply put in my back up discs, and went from there..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.