Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
I got my gf hooked on iPods earlier this summer when I got her her first--a pink 8GB 4th generation nano. Recently I asked her what she wanted for Christmas and she told me she now wants a silver classic, so I picked that up for her and gave it to her as an early Christmas present, and once again found myself lusting after that polished stainless back and the experience of opening a new iPod, and now I want another classic.

My first iPod was a 1st generation silver 4GB mini, but somewhere along the way it got lost (I replaced it this past spring with the 2nd generation 4GB listed below--found one sealed NIB on ebay).

My current collection consists of:

--2nd generation mini 4GB--silver
--2nd generation mini 6GB--silver
--5th generation video 30GB--black
--5.5 generation video 30GB--white
--1st generation touch 32GB
--4th generation nano 16GB--green
--6.5 generation classic 120GB--silver

Of the iPods I've had, the mini has always stood out as my favorite because it just seemed perfect in every way and perhaps I'm biased since it was my first iPod, but I think these days I'm finally moving on and accepting that the classic (120 or new 160 GB flavors) is my favorite player of all time. The touch is fantastic, but at the end of the day it's just a novelty for me because I have to take it out of my pocket and look at it to switch songs, whereas with the clickwheel I can just reach to my back pocket and switch songs and adjust the volume without taking it out.

So what's your favorite iPod of all time??

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Your favorite iPod of all time?

My first one.
Christmas 2001.
5GB mechanical scroll wheel…
Yes, it came in only one colour — white — it had a tiny greyscale screen… it was laggy…

But the beginning of great things. :D

Being used to Mini Disc players and always having to walk about with a pocket or so full of individual disks, my first 5GB iPod was a revelation.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
redshuffle.jpg

I love that little shuffle. Its battery lasts for ages and it gets used all the time. (gym, mostly)

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
The 2nd generation will always be special to me :cool: I had the 10GB one, was my first iPod, and about a month later bought my first Mac :D

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
View attachment 195947

I love that little shuffle. Its battery lasts for ages and it gets used all the time. (gym, mostly)

I bought a pink shuffle from TDD for my mom. She absolutely loves it. I would love an excuse to get one (or a Nano) but with the iPhone I don't have a need for it. It would be ideal for the gym but I already do dance classes so no time for the gym.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
The first one. It was amazing now having to carry a CD case with me everywhere, and Firewire transferred the music, I think it was 10 seconds a CD.

Also, it just felt.. nice. Bulky, like I wasn't going to snap it in two all the time. Battery life was something like 10 hours, which as long as you remembered to plug it in when you plugged in your Cell phone (which would also only last a day on a charge day) it never ran dry.

Plus, there's just something nice about the black and white screen that I miss on these fancy-schmancy new iPods with cameras and kitchen sinks...

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I think the only reason I don't choose the iPhone as my favorite iPod is because I kinda miss the click wheel. Doesn't feel like an iPod without the click wheel.

cmcbridejr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
Alpharetta, GA
iPod Classic 3rd generation.

This model introduced the Touch Wheel with a completely non-mechanical interface. It was the only model to have a row of four buttons that looked great at night as they lit up a beautiful red/orange color and blue/purple screen.

On top of that, it has firewire compatibility for fast transfers. It is a shame Apple has done away with firewire in the newer models.

I still have this model and I still love it, though battery life is near depleted.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
That's a hard question, but I have to say my first nano. It was a black first generation iPod nano with 1GB. I loved that thing, and I think it's still somewhere in the house.

Bluefusion

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2003
New York, NY
The BEST is probably my iPhone (second best being my Classic 80GB), but my favorite? Oh, that's easy :) The 5GB, physical wheel, beautifully-packaged original.

But I still really miss my black Nano 2G. Biked for miles with that thing during one of the best summers of my life.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
My pink 2nd gen iPod Mini.

Absolutely perfect size. And the belt clip, I loved the belt clip. It made me look like such a geek but it was so damn handy.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
The instant I saw the blue 2nd gen nano, I had to have it. I had been wanting to get into the MP3 player arena and knew it would have to be an iPod as I was already using iTunes, but nothing Apple had produced fit my storage needs, budget constraints and style considerations until that model was introduced.

I still like it, and it still runs like a champ.

But this new 5th gen nano is growing on me, though. The screen is gorgeous; I no longer have to squint to see the album art. :D

(edit) Of the models I don't have, it's a tossup between the iPod touch and the 2nd gen shuffle. One is a platform with virtually limitless possibility; the other blends technology and fashion perfectly (It plays music! It's a stylish lapel pin!).

ckd

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2009
Probably my iPod photo 60GB. It supported both USB and FireWire, still had the little "remote jack" next to the headphone port, and had the wonderful clickwheel interface.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2008
My favorite has to be the 1st gen nano in black. Got it for christmas in 2005 but it went through the wash a year later. It wasnt my 1st ipod but it was my first full featured one since my first ipod was a 1st gen shuffle.

Right now I have:

1st gen 8gb Touch
2nd gen 16gb Touch
5th gen 8gb Nano

I also have the Zune HD and I plan to buy a 160gb ipod classic by the end of the year.

yoppie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
Honorable mention to:

My first iPod. Loved the glow of the 4 buttons..

This one was my first iPod and is also my favorite. It's mostly used for car duty when traveling for more than an hour. I can't seem to part with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.