Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jul 11, 2004, 08:59 PM   #1
Muskie
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Muskie
Bluetooth... What can I do?

Ok, my friend is willing to buy me a wireless apple keyboard as a graduation present. I just need to know if it will work or if I have to buy something.
I've checked the Apple site, I've looked around my computer, and I''ve checked these forums. So far all I've come up with is that the education version of the G4 MDD has built-in Bluetooth, and other than that, I have to buy a little USB adapter. I don't really want to buy a silly little adapter to stick in a USB port, seems like something I could loose, or won't work the best, or in some way be a waste of money to me. I based my assumption on this from Apple's Educational G4 page:

"Itís also ready to connect to networks through the built-in Gigabit Ethernet, 56K modem, Bluetooth, or optional AirPort Extreme Card (AirPort slot and antennas are already included)."

So is there some PCI, pcmcia, or another internal card or port that I can get a Bluetooth module for? If all I need is the USB adapter and it works fine for others, then I guess thast what I'll do.

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo -- 1.5GB RAM -- Radeon X1600 128MB
Muskie is offline   0
Old Jul 11, 2004, 09:09 PM   #2
jsw
Moderator emeritus

The internal option is best, just because it's easiest, but my G5, iMac, and old 1999 G3 PB all use the D-Link DBT-120 USB Bluetooth adapter, and I've had no problems with it. It's small and very, very easy to set up, and it's $40 or less.

Of course, if you're buying a new Mac, you can get BT installed as a build-to-order option on any of the ones that don't come with it already.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 10:10 PM   #3
idkew
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to idkew
just remember- you MUST get bluetooth factory installed if you want it internal in any of your macs. apple does not sell after-market inter bluetooth adapters. you would have to get an externaladapter in that case.
idkew is offline   0
Old Jul 12, 2004, 02:34 PM   #4
Muskie
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Muskie
Alright thanks for the info. Now that I think about it I remember looking at that BTO option for Bluetooth thinking "wtf, im never gonna need that..." silly me... haha. Guess I'm going for the adapter. Thanks again

MacBook Pro 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo -- 1.5GB RAM -- Radeon X1600 128MB
Muskie is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers