Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Sep 24, 2009, 01:44 PM   #1
dylanbrown
macrumors 6502

Stop the Password Prompt

Hey all,

I have searched around for this - but couldn't find a thread that was similar, if there is one, I apologise in advance.

OK - this seems pretty basic, but I can't seem to find a way to turn off the password prompt in Mac OSX.

I have an account for my parents, and they don't need a password, but if they try and install software etc - it comes up with the Password Prompt window. Obviously, you don't enter anything into the password field and just continue on, but seeing how there is no password in the first place, why does it still ask for one?

I've been a Mac user for a few years, but have never came across this - I always use a password

Anyway... thanks in advance...

Dylan.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 01:49 PM   #2
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

It's a visual indication that the program you're installing is about to make a big change to something on your system. Even if you have no password set for logon, you should be aware when something like that happens.
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2009, 01:53 PM   #3
BlueRevolution
macrumors 601

If your parents don't have a password on their account, they shouldn't have an administrator account. It leaves your computer wide open to hacking.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 01:55 PM   #4
yellow

There's no way to "turn" it off.
Even if the password is blank, the user will be prompted for their password.
yellow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2009, 02:02 PM   #5
devburke

Itís basically asking for administrator approval because itís doing something important. Even if it didnít ask for the password, it would still pop up a box asking for approval.
devburke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2009, 02:04 PM   #6
Makosuke
macrumors 603

Just to add, Windows XP doesn't ask for a password at all in similar situations, and this is a substantial part of the reason that it's so horribly prone to virus and malware infection. It's really an awful idea to run with no password, but even if you do the prompt is at least an indicator that something major is about to happen, with the chance to prevent it if you didn't want it to.
Makosuke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2009, 02:05 PM   #7
yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by devburke View Post
It’s basically asking for administrator approval because it’s doing something important. Even if it didn’t ask for the password, it would still pop up a box asking for approval.
Not really.. it's asking for authentication so it's authorized to install (something) someplace where the permissions or task require higher authorization. It doesn't necessarily mean that it's important.

A small distinction, but an important one.

The only way around a password prompt is if you're UID 0. And I really wouldn't suggest setting up one's parents (who cannot be bothered to 1) enter a password and/or 2) hit return for an empty password) as root.
yellow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2009, 04:58 PM   #8
mac2x
macrumors 65816

Get them a password. This feature is one of the reasons why OS X is more secure than Windows. If they can't handle a password, make them a non-admin account and administer the computer yourself, with your own admin account.

Gaming Rig | Core i7-2600K | 16 GB RAM | 160 GB OCZ Agility 2 | EVGA GTX 770 SC | Windows 7 Pro x64 | ASUS VG248QE
mac2x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2009, 05:03 PM   #9
jav6454
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanbrown View Post
Hey all,

I have searched around for this - but couldn't find a thread that was similar, if there is one, I apologise in advance.

OK - this seems pretty basic, but I can't seem to find a way to turn off the password prompt in Mac OSX.

I have an account for my parents, and they don't need a password, but if they try and install software etc - it comes up with the Password Prompt window. Obviously, you don't enter anything into the password field and just continue on, but seeing how there is no password in the first place, why does it still ask for one?

I've been a Mac user for a few years, but have never came across this - I always use a password

Anyway... thanks in advance...

Dylan.
It's part of the UNIX core OS X has. It pops out when something really important (like changing system files) is being changed. In UNIX is asks for "sudo" authorization (where "sudo" stands for Superuser Do or quite simply the System Administrator). It's effective because of the UNIX way of adding applications and installing stuff. (Drag and drop v doing an installation process)

This is the successful implementation of what Microsoft tried and still try to do with their UAC (from hell) and Action Center.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 01:51 AM   #10
Jethryn Freyman
macrumors 68020

Can't be done, unless you enable and log in as the root account.
Jethryn Freyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2009, 04:18 AM   #11
Makosuke
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethryn Freyman View Post
Can't be done, unless you enable and log in as the root account.
Which, as yellow said, is a really, really bad idea.

To use a colorful analogy (my real reason for adding), in this context it's a little like giving somebody who's never used a power tool a chainsaw and a blindfold, then telling them to use the pair in place of scissors.

That, or slapping a massive supercharger on their minivan and then taking out the seatbelts and disabling the airbags.
Makosuke is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help