Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Sep 24, 2009, 07:55 PM   #1
stephenmckeague
macrumors member

Mac Mail inline attachment icons

Hello everybody

I've been really miffed by Mac Mail's behaviour for adding attachments. When I add seemingly any sort of file into an email message, it sticks an icon of it exactly where my cursor is. This is pretty ridiculous - it messes up my formatting (line spaces etc) and looks silly in the middle of my message.

Is there any way to simply display the attachment icons only in the header of the message? I think Mail Attachments Iconizer is meant to do this, but I'm hoping there's a way within Mail to do this. Seems like silly design :S

To clarify I'm not talking about expanding images inline, but the fact that there's an icon of the attachments in the body of my message.

Thanks for your help
stephenmckeague is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2009, 08:27 PM   #2
BlueRevolution
macrumors 601

Just drag 'em to the end.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 08:42 AM   #3
stephenmckeague
macrumors member

Thanks for the reply :-)

I knew that was an option, but is there any way to just hide them from the body completely, and just have them displayed in the header (like they are when you receive a message)
Old Sep 25, 2009, 12:41 PM   #4
devburke

Nah they always show up in the body. But what you probably want is this (itís easier than manually dragging it to the end every time):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2009-09-25 at 12.40.14 PM.png
Views:	22
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	196079
devburke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2009, 01:08 PM   #5
stephenmckeague
macrumors member

Thanks DevBurke, I thought that was the case. Seems pretty strange why anybody would ever want this behaviour? Even in Mac Mail, when you receive attachments they're also placed in the header.
No other mail client does this :S

Oh well, thanks for the help anyway
Old Sep 25, 2009, 01:14 PM   #6
devburke

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmckeague View Post
Thanks DevBurke, I thought that was the case. Seems pretty strange why anybody would ever want this behaviour? Even in Mac Mail, when you receive attachments they're also placed in the header.
No other mail client does this :S

Oh well, thanks for the help anyway
Itís useful for dragging in attachments, particularly ones that can by displayed, like pictures and pdfs. Also, in a message with a lot of different attachments, it could be useful for placing them in the message in a way that makes it clear which file is which (although I guess that would only work if the recipient also uses Mail).
Old Sep 25, 2009, 01:28 PM   #7
stephenmckeague
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devburke View Post
Itís useful for dragging in attachments, particularly ones that can by displayed, like pictures and pdfs. Also, in a message with a lot of different attachments, it could be useful for placing them in the message in a way that makes it clear which file is which (although I guess that would only work if the recipient also uses Mail).
That's the problem, you would have to know the other person not only uses mail, but will use mail to check that email. Overly specific conditions for something that just duplicates the information already displayed (in the header) *and* is undesirable for most non picture attachments (I rarely send a message with >3 attachments)

</rant> :P
Old Sep 25, 2009, 01:38 PM   #8
devburke

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmckeague View Post
That's the problem, you would have to know the other person not only uses mail, but will use mail to check that email. Overly specific conditions for something that just duplicates the information already displayed (in the header) *and* is undesirable for most non picture attachments (I rarely send a message with >3 attachments)

</rant> :P
Donít get too worked up about it, just check the option to always put them at the end and donít worry about em!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help