Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 24, 2009, 07:55 PM   #1
stephenmckeague
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Mac Mail inline attachment icons

Hello everybody

I've been really miffed by Mac Mail's behaviour for adding attachments. When I add seemingly any sort of file into an email message, it sticks an icon of it exactly where my cursor is. This is pretty ridiculous - it messes up my formatting (line spaces etc) and looks silly in the middle of my message.

Is there any way to simply display the attachment icons only in the header of the message? I think Mail Attachments Iconizer is meant to do this, but I'm hoping there's a way within Mail to do this. Seems like silly design :S

To clarify I'm not talking about expanding images inline, but the fact that there's an icon of the attachments in the body of my message.

Thanks for your help
stephenmckeague is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2009, 08:27 PM   #2
BlueRevolution
macrumors 601
 
BlueRevolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Just drag 'em to the end.
__________________
PIRATE PARTY OF CANADA ó Information leadership for the 21st century
BlueRevolution is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2009, 08:42 AM   #3
stephenmckeague
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Thanks for the reply :-)

I knew that was an option, but is there any way to just hide them from the body completely, and just have them displayed in the header (like they are when you receive a message)
stephenmckeague is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2009, 12:41 PM   #4
devburke
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Nah they always show up in the body. But what you probably want is this (itís easier than manually dragging it to the end every time):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2009-09-25 at 12.40.14 PM.png
Views:	22
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	196079
devburke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2009, 01:08 PM   #5
stephenmckeague
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Thanks DevBurke, I thought that was the case. Seems pretty strange why anybody would ever want this behaviour? Even in Mac Mail, when you receive attachments they're also placed in the header.
No other mail client does this :S

Oh well, thanks for the help anyway
stephenmckeague is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2009, 01:14 PM   #6
devburke
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmckeague View Post
Thanks DevBurke, I thought that was the case. Seems pretty strange why anybody would ever want this behaviour? Even in Mac Mail, when you receive attachments they're also placed in the header.
No other mail client does this :S

Oh well, thanks for the help anyway
Itís useful for dragging in attachments, particularly ones that can by displayed, like pictures and pdfs. Also, in a message with a lot of different attachments, it could be useful for placing them in the message in a way that makes it clear which file is which (although I guess that would only work if the recipient also uses Mail).
devburke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2009, 01:28 PM   #7
stephenmckeague
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by devburke View Post
Itís useful for dragging in attachments, particularly ones that can by displayed, like pictures and pdfs. Also, in a message with a lot of different attachments, it could be useful for placing them in the message in a way that makes it clear which file is which (although I guess that would only work if the recipient also uses Mail).
That's the problem, you would have to know the other person not only uses mail, but will use mail to check that email. Overly specific conditions for something that just duplicates the information already displayed (in the header) *and* is undesirable for most non picture attachments (I rarely send a message with >3 attachments)

</rant> :P
stephenmckeague is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2009, 01:38 PM   #8
devburke
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmckeague View Post
That's the problem, you would have to know the other person not only uses mail, but will use mail to check that email. Overly specific conditions for something that just duplicates the information already displayed (in the header) *and* is undesirable for most non picture attachments (I rarely send a message with >3 attachments)

</rant> :P
Donít get too worked up about it, just check the option to always put them at the end and donít worry about em!
devburke is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Permanently Delete messages in Gmail via Mac Mail? blairwillis Mac Basics and Help 37 Nov 19, 2013 07:40 AM
Resolved: Gmail: Mac Mail / iPhone SOLVED! B74A Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Jul 31, 2011 10:16 AM
mac mail suddenly demanding password for outgoing Starhorsepax Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Jul 25, 2011 10:18 PM
Problem opening hyperlinks in Mac Mail DrWhiteFPS Mac Applications and Mac App Store 2 Jan 16, 2011 07:07 PM
Mac Mail Crashes On Reply, Replay All, New With Attachment Mac OS X 10.4 kmhebert Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Nov 15, 2010 11:04 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC