Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swedefish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
After ruining my old laptop (don't ask), I need to get a new one and the 13" MBP would be perfect. The crux is that I am currently in the UK and Macs are insanely expensive here (in terms of USD). Thus, I am thinking of having a friend in the U.S. buy the computer for me and ship it to me via courier. I would ship it in the box Apple uses. I would be eternally grateful if anyone could post the dimensions of the box and how much it weighs with the computer in it.

To clarify: I want the dimensions of the cardboard box Apple uses to pack the box containing the MBP. Hope this is clear.

Alternatively, if anyone knows how much it costs to ship said box from the U.S. to the UK, I'd also love that information.

Thanks!

swedefish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
You will still have to pay VAT.

I have done the same favor for a friend before (although he was in Sweden, not the UK). By opening the box (to check the hardware etc.) and by labeling the contents as "Gift (electronics)", I managed for him to avoid paying any VAT.

Does anyone know how this specifically applies to the UK?

Deppe

macrumors member
May 20, 2009
I have done the same favor for a friend before (although he was in Sweden, not the UK). By opening the box (to check the hardware etc.) and by labeling the contents as "Gift (electronics)", I managed for him to avoid paying any VAT.

Well, I know that here in Denmark, you have to prove it is a gift and that it is from someone you know ect.
They have become much more strict with the whole VAT thing the last couple of years, but I don't know how it works in UK of course.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
MBP 13" box measures 14 1/2 x 10 3/4 x 2 3/4.
Weight is about 5 1/2 pounds.
don't know if it'd be a good idea to ship it in that box though.

You're likely to also have to pay sales tax in the U.S., rate varies by state, typical around 6%.

swedefish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
Thanks to everyone who responded.

I obviously realize this is a risky undertaking, but it seems to me that it could work out... it is also my birthday soon and the person who'd be shipping it is a friend of six years. However, I don't know what type of proof of friendship I could present if asked. I might just ask this person to include some other odds and ends in the package, perhaps even a birthday card :D.

Btw, I assumed that the computer is delivered in a normal shipping box (e.g. a plain cardboard box). At least that is how apple used to pack laptops for shipping. Has Apple changed that practice to shipping the computer only in the product box itself?

sk8mash

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
England
You still have to pay customs charges and VAT on gifts over the value of, I think, about £90 (up from £32 recently?). Then on top of this you would also have a charge from the courier of about £10 just to handle the customs charges. It won't work out any cheaper.

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom

Ok, I normally wouldn't reply to this kind of topic but here goes...

UK HM Revenue And Customs Import has become much stricter in 2009. I know for a fact, they now open 90% of all packages, and the only packages they don't open are the ones that are insanely small (they even opened my Vado HD from the US). They have a pricing list for practically any retail product in the UK, and it's general price, when they see that it's a Macbook, they'll compare it to the US price to see how much you paid. They'll charge you the excess, and they'll charge you VAT (@ 15%) and then they'll also charge you Import tax as it's over a certain value (Generally at least another 8-10% but it varies).

You'll also be charged a Royal Mail handling fee of £8.50 regardless. And you will be charged for attempting to bypass the HM Revenue and Customs.

Put it this way... It'll be cheaper for you to buy it in the UK, don't try and bypass the law via Mail. If ever.

sk8mash said:
You still have to pay customs charges and VAT on gifts over the value of, I think, about £90
That's correct, however its any product over the value of £12GBP (Depending on current exchange rate)

As I said.. DONT DO IT... And don't say "My friend gave me it as he didn't want it anymore" to them, as they would contact Apple with the serial number and check when it was purchased.. All because they can, and they want their taxes.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
After ruining my old laptop (don't ask), I need to get a new one and the 13" MBP would be perfect. The crux is that I am currently in the UK and Macs are insanely expensive here (in terms of USD). Thus, I am thinking of having a friend in the U.S. buy the computer for me and ship it to me via courier. I would ship it in the box Apple uses. I would be eternally grateful if anyone could post the dimensions of the box and how much it weighs with the computer in it.

To clarify: I want the dimensions of the cardboard box Apple uses to pack the box containing the MBP. Hope this is clear.

Alternatively, if anyone knows how much it costs to ship said box from the U.S. to the UK, I'd also love that information.

Thanks!

How much cheaper is it actually?

I got my 2.26GHz 13" MBP legitimately in UK for £772 with Higher Education discount. That also included a iPod Touch which I went on to sell on eBay, saved me another £145. So around £630 in total or 1004USD at the current exchange rate. Now as far as I can tell, the same model costs 1200USD+tax in the states, so probably around 1100 with student discount?

If you buy it in UK with Higher Education discount you also get a free 3 year custom warranty which is very similar to AppleCare. Only two differences are that you only get 1 year of phone support and can only make claims within the UK. That's another £195 saved over getting one shipped in from the states!

Fabian

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
How much cheaper is it actually?

I got my 2.26GHz 13" MBP legitimately in UK for £772 with Higher Education discount. That also included a iPod Touch which I went on to sell on eBay, saved me another £145. So around £630 in total or 1004USD at the current exchange rate. Now as far as I can tell, the same model costs 1200USD+tax in the states, so probably around 1100 with student discount?

If you buy it in UK with Higher Education discount you also get a free 3 year custom warranty which is very similar to AppleCare. Only two differences are that you only get 1 year of phone support and can only make claims within the UK. That's another £195 saved over getting one shipped in from the states!

Fabian

Same for me, I bought mine on the further education discount, got £200 off, (HE would get about £230 off) But I'm not complaining, I'd rather have a genuine UK one..

If you need it so badly cheap, then find someone who qualifies for the discount to get it for you, and offer them £50 or so for profit. Luckily I bought my notebook in Late July, and you can buy 1 Notebook and 1 Desktop each ACADEMIC year. So If I want I can buy another now :)

Just thought too : The value of the Pound absolutely SUCKS right now thanks to the stupid Scottish bloke in Office.. £899GBP = $1400USD Costs about what? $1350 with sales tax in the US.

It ain't worth it mate... For the sake of £20.. Buy it in the UK, don't try and break the law.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Just thought too : The value of the Pound absolutely SUCKS right now thanks to the stupid Scottish bloke in Office.. £899GBP = $1400USD Costs about what? $1350 with sales tax in the US.

It's great for exports though - too bad the UK doesn't really have anything worthwhile to export! :rolleyes:

AnotherFanBoy

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2009
I would definitely avoid this route, it really isn't going to be cheaper and it might even end up being more expensive to be honest.

I would just find a friend who qualifies for the education discount (if you don't) and buy it that way, it'll be much simpler, cheaper and won't be classed as fraud.

swedefish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
Thanks for all the advice guys.

I just arrived here so I am clueless as to how things work in the UK. Given the things you said, I will look into buying one here using a student discount. Is the higher ed discount always 230 pounds or does it depend on the model? I can't check the edu prices on apple's UK store as I am not on a university network.

Btw, I obviously would not consider fraud unless I had to... When you're poor you don't have a lot of options (and no, a PC is not an option).

Sneakz

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for all the advice guys.

I just arrived here so I am clueless as to how things work in the UK. Given the things you said, I will look into buying one here using a student discount. Is the higher ed discount always 230 pounds or does it depend on the model? I can't check the edu prices on apple's UK store as I am not on a university network.

Btw, I obviously would not consider fraud unless I had to... When you're poor you don't have a lot of options (and no, a PC is not an option).
Can't you get in through here? http://store.apple.com/uk-edu

mattais

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2008
Bristol, UK
I know someone that did this with an iMac I think it was to Sweden.

He was coming to the States for a couple of weeks anyway, so just took out the keyboard, disks, whatever and posted the iMac with no cables etc in the original box.

No problems. No different than buying a $2000 watch whilst on vacation other than it's size. Nobody would be complain about that!

swedefish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
Computer is ordered!
I ordered from a public computer at a university and got the uni discount. Plus, I was able to use a foreign credit card. The ordered totaled £ 1,052 including Apple Care and a DVI adapter. I am very pleased! Thanks for talking me out of the original scheme!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.