Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blancoBronco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2009
South Tampa
Is anybody else a little annoyed at how mainstream the iPhone has become? I felt so unique when I was one of the only people I knew who had the iPhone. But now, so many of my friends have it. It's become like the RAZR, it's the default phone to get on AT&T.

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
Is anybody else a little annoyed at how mainstream the iPhone has become? I felt so unique when I was one of the only people I knew who had the iPhone. But now, so many of my friends have it. It's become like the RAZR, it's the default phone to get on AT&T.
I felt the same way about Metallica back before the black album, then everyone jumped on "Enter Sandman."

Eh. I got over it.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I agree,

but at the same time, Steve Job said in the first Keynote during Macworld that his goal was to sell 10 Million iPhone by the end of 2008. I knew then "The Unique Feeling" wouldn't last long.

I thought it was funny that when I first got the iPhone back in June 2007, whenever someone asked me to see it, if I showed it to them I was known as a Show-Off, but when I refused and kept it in my pocket, I was known as a Stuck-Up who doesn't want to let people see the iPhone. I'm glad thats over.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
I feel the same about The Office.
:rolleyes:

but in reguard to the iPhone...
but almost.... but not quite. there are a lot of people who are not techfreaks;) who have an iPhone. and that kinda buggs me.

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
Not for nothing, though, I think that attitude of feeling special because you have some exclusive phone (or anything else) is a bit odd.

I mean, yeah, a ton of people have the phone, but it does what I need it to do.
There. Done. End of story.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
You are no longer a unique snowflake.

I can't believe this is a real thread.

blancoBronco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2009
South Tampa
I feel the same about The Office.
:rolleyes:

but in reguard to the iPhone...
but almost.... but not quite. there are a lot of people who are not techfreaks;) who have an iPhone. and that kinda buggs me.

the worst is when you see the old person who can't figure out how to use it for anything other than calling their family. it's like "why pay so much money just to use the phone. get a jitterbug instead"

blancoBronco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2009
South Tampa

It's a real thread because I'm entitled to my opinion. I felt unique because I had a phone that not many other people I know had. It could do so many more things than any phone my friends had.

I know that it can do even more things now, but when 4 out of my 5 closest friends have it, they don't need me to check the score of a football game or check tomorrow's weather forecast. I liked that feeling of importance

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Personally, I went with the iPhone because of its capabilities. Definitely not to impress someone, or to make me feel that I am part of an elite group. That would be a waste of money IMHO.

One thing to keep in mind, as more individuals go with the iPhone the ecosystem grows which provides users with more choices and options.

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA

I am Jack's lost sense of entitlement.

It's a real thread because I'm entitled to my opinion. I felt unique because I had a phone that not many other people I know had. It could do so many more things than any phone my friends had.

I know that it can do even more things now, but when 4 out of my 5 closest friends have it, they don't need me to check the score of a football game or check tomorrow's weather forecast. I liked that feeling of importance
Not for nothing, but maybe that feeling comes down to more than the iPhone's proliferation.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009

Yep, I got my Iphone just to piss you off.

There have been other post like this, it did not go well for the OP. Just word to the unwise.l

rburly

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2009
Florida
Yeah, I'm completely underwhelmed by this thread.

If I have a need to feel special because of my iPhone, I have problem. When so many people buy the same thing, I tend to think I made a good choice (as they did) by buying the best smart phone on the market.

Namek

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2009
the worst is when you see the old person who can't figure out how to use it for anything other than calling their family. it's like "why pay so much money just to use the phone. get a jitterbug instead"

Agreed, I work at a car dealer and had 2 old folks trying to pair both their iphones to the car bluetooth. They didn't even know how to turn on bluetooth on the iPhone. I spent 30 mins pairing and showing them how use use THEIR own phones.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

My first experience with the iPhone was slightly different...

All of my friends were like "oooh, ahhh" .. until I tried to bluetooth somebody a picture I'd taken with the camera only to find I couldn't!

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009

Yes, unfortunately it is a real thread, you posted it. What is not real is your mental attitude toward a device. If your iphone made you feel important, then you have other issues which we can't cover here.

I don't know what kind of phone your friends had, but what could your iphone do that a Treo 700 or 750 could not do? Make a call, browse the web, buy and download apps? If your friends had a PDA, I bet they could do things you couldn't in the past, like cut and paste, mms etc. I guess you mean the accelerometer. :)

blancoBronco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2009
South Tampa
Personally, I went with the iPhone because of its capabilities. Definitely not to impress someone, or to make me feel that I am part of an elite group. That would be a waste of money IMHO.

One thing to keep in mind, as more individuals go with the iPhone the ecosystem grows which provides users with more choices and options.

1) i got the iphone for the same reason

2) i didn't say i felt elite because i got it; i felt unique

3) i acknowledge that the iphone community's growth has created things like the app store

All i'm asking is if anyone else felt unique if they got the iphone when it first came out and if that sense of uniqueness is gone and they miss it

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
I understand where the OP is coming from, but come on. That feeling, that "wow this is so badass I have one of, if not the most sought after mobile phones in the world" is a natural thing but in no way should it last or identify you.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I felt unique because I had a phone that not many other people I know had.
There's a good chance if you rely on technology to make you feel unique you will be disappointed.

Be happy that you introduced your friends to wonderful technology and capability. :)

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
1) i got the iphone for the same reason

2) i didn't say i felt elite because i got it; i felt unique

3) i acknowledge that the iphone community's growth has created things like the app store

All i'm asking is if anyone else felt unique if they got the iphone when it first came out and if that sense of uniqueness is gone and they miss it

And I quote: I liked that feeling of importance. It seems you have another issue also. Boy they are just racking up.

blancoBronco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2009
South Tampa
And I quote: I liked that feeling of importance. It seems you have another issue also. Boy they are just racking up.

importance and elite are different.

importance is people needing you for something,
elite is thinking you're better than everyone else

I felt important: my friends would always ask me to check something on the internet for them

I didn't feel like I was better than them because of it

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
importance and elite are different.

importance is people needing you for something,
elite is thinking you're better than everyone else

I felt important: my friends would always ask me to check something on the internet for them

I didn't feel like I was better than them because of it

Point taken.
You see checking sports scores or the internet as important. I see it as being useful.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Who cares? When i run into other people that try to show off their iPhone to me, i start talking about SSH and jailbreaking and make them not feel so cool anymore when they have to ask WTF i’m talking about. Ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.